01/30 BuddyM: AMPS 83 | +2 71

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mariette, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Mariette

Mariette Member

Previously:
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...-not-working-out-pm-dose.242233/#post-2730175

Our AMPS looked great this morning. He actually ate two hours before. I did get the +10 of the previous cycle and it was 130. So that was not first prize. He's still high early in the morning.

I have to say I'm still not super confident about my skill with the drop dose. We'll get there. I did the 10 second technique this morning and I think it's the way to go. I was lucky that Buddy was sleepy with the AMPS because we got all the beans out from 6am to 8am. If he's busy then holding for 10 seconds may not be doable. But we'll try our best!

He had an uncharacteristic 99 yesterday afternoon. He hasn't been that high in the afternoon in a while. I hope that's not sign of things to come.

He has been going through a diarrhea bout the past day too - starting yesterday aftrnoon. Not sure if it's the Fussie cat with tuna he had or the insulin drop doses. I suspect maybe the food. That's why I've been tracking the poop in the spreadsheet. It was actually a terrible diarrhea bout that took us to the vet when he was diagnosed with diabetes.

Hopefully the higher bg was related to the diarrhea yesterday and we have a better bg and poop day today.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

You will figure it out. :D

Mariette likes this.
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hoping for a green AMPS for Buddy, and the diarrhea stops. Have a good day Mariette :bighug::cat:

Mariette likes this.
  4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice green this morning. The diarrhea could be affecting his numbers. I hope it clears up soon. Sending prayers.

Mariette likes this.
  5. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

If buddy is in any way food or treat motivated...i sprinkle a bunch of treats on a plate (just cooked ground pork bits dipped in tuna juice) and let butters go to town on it while i give her the insulin shots. Otherwise she will make a run for it with the needle still in her.

best of luck with the drop dose!

Mariette likes this.
  6. Mariette

Mariette Member

Thank you all for the support! :bighug:

I think he still has some tummy problems as we're heading into the evening. Hopefully it resolves soon. We had another higher +9 today. And he's been really hungry. Lots of loud yells for food. I'm never going to get this little dude to lose weight. Sigh. I try to be strong but he's incredibly persistent. I'm going to try to get a video of him yelling for food. It's so desperate.

Thanks for that tip @Butters & Lyla. I'll keep that in my back pocket to try. It's defintiely easier to shoot when he is sleepy. When he eats his regular meals he doesn't like to be touched. He doesn't react strongly, just caves that part in and evades. Treats are usually gone instantaneously but I do have some completely pulverized minnows from Purebites I could try and sprinkle. I received them in pretty much powder form from Amazon. :rolleyes:

7. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

What a much better start to the day!!! I would like to suggest no more food at +9; that was just an experiment and we found it didn’t work. It’s possible the 130 was a duration issue and he came down potentially due to a second dip.

Really nice day today!!

Mariette likes this.
  8. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Lol. Yes....I crumble up that ground pork into the tiniest pieces. I used to use freeze dried chicken treats that I'd turn into powder. For butters, it only works if she smells tuna on it:rolleyes:. I use a dinner size plate so it takes her a while longer to lick all the sprinkles. If I try to shoot her during her regular meal, forget it! She doesn't like to be touched then, either.

Mariette likes this.
  9. Mariette

Mariette Member

Thanks Marje! I'm still not 100% confident in my drop shots. It's getting there but unfortunately there is also a possibility that last night's drop was not well delivered.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  10. Mariette

Mariette Member

Glad to hear Buddy's not the only one that doesn't like being touched while eating. I was trying to desensitize him for a while but couldn't really get past light touching. Forget holding long enought for a shot. Big plate is a good idea. I also have this fish shaped feeding mat with grooves in. That might also work. Things to try!

11. Marje and Gracie

You might have gotten more in than you think. It was his first green AMPS since 1/6.:D:D:D

12. Mariette

Mariette Member

I'm pretty sure it was the food though? He actually ate a good amount at 6am today. AMPS was at 8.

13. Marje and Gracie

Usually for the food to bring the BG down, it takes 3-4 hours. We don’t have any evidence his pancreas has been working to beat that dawn phenomenon.

Mariette likes this.
  14. Mariette

Mariette Member

From what I've observed Buddy comes down pretty dramatically after eating in the morning. Probably already down quite a bit after 2 hours.

15. Mariette

Mariette Member

I'm going to not give food tomorrow morning before the AMPS test, and hopefully the drop will be enough to bring him down. Fingers crossed!

16. Marje and Gracie

But we are talking before AMPS in the time we are looking at dawn phenomenon.

The only way we know is to try this so I’m glad you are on board. Thanks and paws crossed.

Mariette likes this.