? 01/15 Eddie AMPS 437 +2 364 +4 284 PMPS 331 +2 268

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jodey&Eddie&Blue, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Jodey&Eddie&Blue Well-Known Member

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Today's AMPS might be the high before he breaks the bounce. And he was almost green in the PM of 1/12 and 1/13 despite the intervention with MC.
    I don't think he needs an increase yet, but see what Wendy says.

Diarrhea just today?

3. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Ok, I gave 6u. Wendy wrote yesterday she thought today might be "interesting"...so, we'll see.

Diarrhea: last 3-4 days intermittently. I gave some Metamucil and it worked and then didn't. The vet had told me about a remedy he uses: make rice with too much water. Then use a few tsp or so of the excess water, so I tried that last night. I'm also wondering if that H2O is carb-high?

4. Bandit's Mom

Never heard of this. I guess, the rice water would be high carb. Have you tried S. Boulardii?

https://www.foodfurlife.com/my-cat-has-diarrhea---what-do-i-do.html

Jodey&Eddie&Blue likes this.
  5. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

I’m very suspicious of the rice water — i.e., that it’s impacting the BG. I was wondering if anything had changed. Diarrhea and rice water are definite variables.

Did the diarrhea start before or after the gravy foods/syrup? Some cats have GI issues with gravies, so just curious if you’ve ever noticed a correlation.

6. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

I'm also suspicious of the rice water and stopped giving it to him. He had diarrhea before the rice water. I was giving him some Metamucil (1/2 tsp) in his food and it was working until it wasn't.
    Since it's been about 4 days of diarrhea it might well be linked to the gravies. I just checked the SS and see the first time he had it was January 7th, right around the time of the big drop to PMPS+3 61.
    The notes show he had diarrhea in the afternoon prior to that drop and earned reduction (and gravies that night) but he had also been in the blue zone all day, so something was happening.
    He's drinking more water in the past two days as well.
    I've not noticed a correlation between gravy foods/syrup and GI issues but that doesn't mean it's not the case. It just means I didn't notice, probably because I'd be more focussed on his BG.
    I'm going to do a +2 (very soon) and see what that tells us. I'm going also to follow up on Bhooma's suggestion.
    Thanks, JL and Bhooma.

7. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Neko couldn't handle wheat after a while, so I switched her to the Weruva Cats in the Kitchen pouches for HC, plus their Grandma's Chicken Soup for higher HC. They use potatoes for carbs. Most of the Firstmate are also high carb food (too many potatoes), so another local options for us.

Is Eddie taking any other probiotics? If you have a Vitasave near you, they have S. boulardii. Now is a common brand, and you can always buy Florastor in London Drugs, Shoppers, etc.

9. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

So, here we are at PMPS 331, after a day of red to magenta, with a stop-over at yellow @ +4. I didn't do any more testing after +4 until PMPS because I thought I'd give him a rest. I didn't think things would change much.

So, there are two things going on: he had rice water last night/this morning so high carb. He's also been on 6u for 10 cycles but it's hard to judge since we have the rice water and earlier the gravies for the low BG. So, it's had to tell if the high numbers now are rice water numbers or what.

At least he is not having any more diarrhea at the moment.

So, do we stay at 6u and try again tomorrow (no ricewater) or do we go back to higher dose: 6.5?

Seeking advice: @Bandit's Mom @FrostD @Wendy&Neko Also, @JL and Chip , you were suspicious of the rice water. I think I made a mistake with that.

Thanks, everyone.

10. Bandit's Mom

I would stay with the dose and see where he lands after giving him 6 cycles to clear the bounce.

11. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Agree with Bhooma. It's a shame that so may things that would make our lives easier don't play well with diabetes :rolleyes:

Jodey&Eddie&Blue likes this.
  12. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Thanks, everyone. Hoping for a better day tomorrow.
    Have a good night. And a good night's sleep.

FrostD likes this.