10/15 Moonie AMPS 259, +2 248, +9 202, PMPS 191, +2 104, +4 128

Connie & Parker & Moonie

Member Since 2026
10/14 Moonie AMPS 195, +2 94, +5 101, PMPS 274, +2 258

I would love to get some experienced eyes on Moonie’s SS and hear the group’s thoughts. Even if you don’t give dosing advice - I would be curious to know what you think might be happening and whether you’ve ever gone through something similar with your sugar kitty.

Moonie has always been bouncy but this is now the 9th cycle where we haven’t seen anything better than a 94, with mostly yellows and blues.

I’m just so confused.

I feel like we’ve been testing enough over the last few days that we likely would have caught any significant fast drops, so I don’t think she secretly went much lower.

We did intervene with 1.5 tsp HC at +2 on both 10/13 PM and 10/14 AM because she had dropped about 50%, so it’s possible we prevented those cycles from fully playing out. That said, in prior bounce breaks, 1.5 tsp HC usually wouldn’t have stopped her for very long. It also should have been mostly out of the picture by +4–6, and we grabbed those later tests on both days just in case.

What is throwing me is that 3.5u was enough to produce a lime on 10/7, and this is already the highest dose she has ever been on.

How much longer would you hold and wait this out? Would it be reasonable to increase tomorrow morning if nothing changes?

Should I get her in to see the doctor again? We did lab work in July and a full dental in April, but now I’m paranoid that something has changed.

She did put on a little weight recently - she stress ate while we were gone in Ireland 😭.Could even a relatively small amount of weight gain have this much impact on her insulin needs?

Thank you in advance! I know she’s fine and she’s happy. But I can’t help worrying that I must be missing something or doing something wrong 😭.

Beautiful Moon Moon 🌙

IMG_3396.jpeg
 
Last edited:
It is normal for a cat's insulin requirements to go up and down. A dose can become too much in a few days or it can "go stale". Which is what seems to have happened with her at 3.5U. It does look like she needs an increase. She hasn't seen any green except that 994 in the last 8 cycles.

Some cats are just bouncier than others (and I know how frustrating that can be!). Like we say here, a cat is more than its numbers. I wouldn't worry about taking her to the vet unless you think there is something wrong that could be affecting her numbers.
 
It is normal for a cat's insulin requirements to go up and down. A dose can become too much in a few days or it can "go stale". Which is what seems to have happened with her at 3.5U. It does look like she needs an increase. She hasn't seen any green except that 994 in the last 8 cycles.

Some cats are just bouncier than others (and I know how frustrating that can be!). Like we say here, a cat is more than its numbers. I wouldn't worry about taking her to the vet unless you think there is something wrong that could be affecting her numbers.
Thank you so much, Bhooma! I'll up her tomorrow AM unless I see improvement tonight. It is just wild that this dose gave her a lime a week ago but such is the mystery of feline diabetes :eek:
 
10/14 Moonie AMPS 195, +2 94, +5 101, PMPS 274, +2 258

I would love to get some experienced eyes on Moonie’s SS and hear the group’s thoughts. Even if you don’t give dosing advice - I would be curious to know what you think might be happening and whether you’ve ever gone through something similar with your sugar kitty.

Moonie has always been bouncy but this is now the 9th cycle where we haven’t seen anything better than a 94, with mostly yellows and blues.

I’m just so confused.

I feel like we’ve been testing enough over the last few days that we likely would have caught any significant fast drops, so I don’t think she secretly went much lower.

We did intervene with 1.5 tsp HC at +2 on both 10/13 PM and 10/14 AM because she had dropped about 50%, so it’s possible we prevented those cycles from fully playing out. That said, in prior bounce breaks, 1.5 tsp HC usually wouldn’t have stopped her for very long. It also should have been mostly out of the picture by +4–6, and we grabbed those later tests on both days just in case.

What is throwing me is that 3.5u was enough to produce a lime on 10/7, and this is already the highest dose she has ever been on.

How much longer would you hold and wait this out? Would it be reasonable to increase tomorrow morning if nothing changes?

Should I get her in to see the doctor again? We did lab work in July and a full dental in April, but now I’m paranoid that something has changed.

She did put on a little weight recently - she stress ate while we were gone in Ireland 😭.Could even a relatively small amount of weight gain have this much impact on her insulin needs?

Thank you in advance! I know she’s fine and she’s happy. But I can’t help worrying that I must be missing something or doing something wrong 😭.

Beautiful Moon Moon 🌙

View attachment 80786
Well she looks happy and well in this photo! 💗
I’m sorry it was a stressful morning Connie.
Good luck with the increase and hoping it brings her back into a better range safely!
🍀🍀🍀🍀
Have a safe surf tonight 🏄‍♀️🌊🐈‍⬛💕
 
Well she looks happy and well in this photo! 💗
I’m sorry it was a stressful morning Connie.
Good luck with the increase and hoping it brings her back into a better range safely!
🍀🍀🍀🍀
Have a safe surf tonight 🏄‍♀️🌊🐈‍⬛💕
Thanks Staci! Though now that the dose increase is planned for tomorrow, who knows what kind of naughty hijinks Moonie has in store for us? 🤣
 
FWIW, the vet thinks Jude's recent weight gain contributed to his need of an increase in insulin. And that makes sense to me. Of course he gained two pounds in six months.
Sigh that makes sense. I’m too scared to weigh Moon Moon but I definitely think she gained some weight, maybe a pound. It’s so hard putting them on a diet and I’m dreading it 😅
 
Sigh that makes sense. I’m too scared to weigh Moon Moon but I definitely think she gained some weight, maybe a pound. It’s so hard putting them on a diet and I’m dreading it 😅
Jude and Hazel are on a diet--so far, not too bad. I was giving them an extra can at night, split between the two of them, and I've eliminated that, and in place of it, I hold back four tblsps from their evening two cans for a late night snack. What I've noticed is that they're both much hungrier at meal time, which is no surprise, of course. That's good for Jude as he's had a little hesitancy eating at shot time lately. But poor Hazel has had some scarf and barf episodes bc she's so hungry at mealtime.
 
Bell gets bouncy even if she isn't hitting greens. I'm not even sure bounce is the right word for what she does when she needs an increase. Check out 9/18 and 9/19 on her sheet. To me (not dosing advice) Moonie's numbers look similar to when you increased on 9/17. Bell sometimes loses steam on a dose even if she has limed on it (see 9/5). I even had to double bump her up to get back to decent numbers.
 
Jude and Hazel are on a diet--so far, not too bad. I was giving them an extra can at night, split between the two of them, and I've eliminated that, and in place of it, I hold back four tblsps from their evening two cans for a late night snack. What I've noticed is that they're both much hungrier at meal time, which is no surprise, of course. That's good for Jude as he's had a little hesitancy eating at shot time lately. But poor Hazel has had some scarf and barf episodes bc she's so hungry at mealtime.
That’s such a smart idea. We’ll have to try that. I also think we need to log whatever we’re giving Moonie and calculate out the calories to establish a baseline. Right now, we feed her as much as she wants to eat, and while it’s working well for our other kitties, it might not be for Moonie :(
 
Bell gets bouncy even if she isn't hitting greens. I'm not even sure bounce is the right word for what she does when she needs an increase. Check out 9/18 and 9/19 on her sheet. To me (not dosing advice) Moonie's numbers look similar to when you increased on 9/17. Bell sometimes loses steam on a dose even if she has limed on it (see 9/5). I even had to double bump her up to get back to decent numbers.
That makes a lot of sense - thank you for taking the time to look through Moonie’s SS and pointing us to specific dates that we can look at on Bell’s!

That makes me feel a lot better that you’ve done something similar with Bell’s dose. I think it just threw me off thinking about increasing from a dose that gave Moonie a lime just a week ago. I wonder if occasionally you need to take them up to a breakthrough dose before they can go back down. Feline diabetes is such a mystery to me even still 😅
 
Back
Top