Zoozey is going to the vet tomorrow :(

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by emchic, Jul 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emchic

emchic Member

And I'm not there! He had been hovering in the 200s the last couple of weeks, and I thought it was just a bounce. But right after I left on Friday he started going up into the 300s. Yesterday and today he went into the 400s. His pmps shot tonight was 415.

When I started thinking about it today, I realized Zoozey has been using the litterbox a bit more often, and when my mom cleaned out the box today, she said there were a lot of pee clumps even with more than one cat using the box. So I'm thinking he may have a uti., which is why I told her to take him to the vet first thing tomorrow. She feels like she's failed him, but I told her she's doing a great job. In hindsight, the higher readings I've been getting the last couple of weeks make me think he's been on this track for a few weeks now. With him being at my parents' house the last month (I was there with him until Fri) and now with me gone, I think he's just a bit stressed. The good news is that he acts like he's feeling fine. He's eating, playfighting (his favorite playtime activity), and exploring.
    Is a uti a likely explanation? I'm afraid his spreadsheet isn't updated-my internet access has been spotty lately, but my mom does have Zoozey's bg log, which has every bg reading that's ever been taken on him which I told her to take to the vet tomorrow. And she's been recording his numbers too. And as soon as she gets her vet's fax number, I'm going to have them fax over Zoozey's records, which will have all the info about his dka. Am I leaving anything out?

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Is she adept enough to log in with your ID and enter the numbers?

3. emchic

emchic Member

Sadly, she's not terribly computer savy. She's keeping a close eye on him though. His amps this morning was 399. And her vet is absolutely amazing, so he'll be in excellent hands. He's great with difficult/absolutely terrified to be at the vet cats. He refuses to do declaw surgeries. One of the few vets I've come across who is a cat person.

I've just got my fingers crossed he's not in the beginnings of dka. My mom says he's still acting 100% normal, eating, playing, grooming, etc.Despite my efforts Zoozey will not let me or anyone check his urine for ketones, and my nova max meter somehow ended up with me and not the cat, so I'll have to wait and see what reading the vet gets. His appointment is at 3:30 this afternoon.

4. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Could there be some bouncing going on? The previous numbers were really good and I wonder if he started going too low or into remission.

5. emchic

emchic Member

I was wondering that myself. But his numbers have been high for the last three weeks--in the 200s and 300s. And he went up into the low 400s right after I left. Ugh. I really wish I had updated my spreadsheet before I left. I'll be back at my parents' on Monday, so I'll have to do it then.

He didn't have a UTI and there was no trace of ketones, so that was a massive relief. My parent's vet who had a copy of Zoozey's records and my bg log, increased his dose from 1.5 to 4 units, which seems really high to me, but then again, I'm not a vet. He has to go back in two weeks, and unfortunately I'll be out of town at a conference, so I won't be able to talk to the vet. He's doing well so far. He got 4 units last night and this morning his amps was 369, so he's not crashing.

Honestly, I don't think I'm really going to know anything concrete and lasting about Zoozey's blood sugar levels at this point in time until I get him back home in August (we've all been at my parents' since mid-June) and settled back in to our routine. His behavior doesn't indicate that he's stressed and he appears to be having a pretty good time, so I don't think this has been too much for him.

I thought about bringing them all with me because I was just coming back to Arlington for the week to do some dissertation research. But I thought the stress of traveling (Pepper and Zoozey are not good travelers) and then having to do it all again a week later, then again another three weeks after that would be a bit much for them. I still think I made the right decision, but it is seriously hard letting go of control over the management of his diabetes. But I'm going to have to do it again the first week of August, so I was using this as a trial run.

6. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

4 units!! Yeah he could well be perpetually bouncing. How many tests do your parents get a day? Bouncing is easy to miss as they drop low briefly and then sit high for a few days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.