Zoey quit eating again!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Zoey & Carol, Jun 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoey & Carol

Zoey & Carol Member

We were on a 2-week vacation from May 25-June 8. My usual caretaker was in charge of Zoey and our 2 dogs. Zoey was staying at the house alone, and the caretaker would come over twice a day to test her, feed her, and give her a shot. Within 4 days, Zoey stopped eating and drinking and became very lethargic. (If you remember, she almost died of renal failure last January after we were gone at Christmas for a while.) She had been doing very well since that episode. She was eating, drinking, playing, grooming, and had even gained 3 pounds. A week before we went on vacation, I took her in for a checkup and blood work just to be sure she was healthy before we left.

So, when she stopped eating again, my friend took her to the vet where they kept her for 2 days and gave her IV fluids and more blood tests. They found no reason for her downturn. In speaking to the vet while we were gone, I mentioned that maybe she was just lonely. Maybe she just liked going to the vet where she gets lots of attention! He seemed to think that might be a possibility. So I asked my friend to leave the dogs at the house with Zoey for a few hours during the day to see if it might cheer her up. One of them is her bed buddy! My friend tried different foods to entice her as well. She did start eating a little more, and by the time we got home last Friday, she was doing pretty well. Although she had lost 2 pounds again.

The first night home she slept on my chest the whole night, and since then has been on the bed every night. I'm monitoring her food closely, making sure she eats several times a day. She really likes having Young Again Zero Carb dry food sprinkled on her wet. She's doing much better now, but we have to leave again for 4 days next weekend. I'm hesitant to leave her home alone again, so I'm considering boarding her at the vet's. It would probably be cheaper to do that than to have her go in for IVs again!

I've posted the test results from her last 2 blood tests. Does anyone have any similar experience with a kitty that gets lonely and quits eating? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Jones does that each time I go away. Will stop eating for 3-4 days and just pick at the food until I get home. They miss us when we are gone especially if we are giving daily special care and pets. I think it is perfectly understandable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.