Zobaline Methyl-B12

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by arozeboom, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arozeboom

arozeboom Well-Known Member

Can you give the Methyl-B12 as a preventative measure against neuropathy before it starts, while trying to get the BG regulated or does it only work to reverse it once it sets in?

Thanks
    Amy

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Amy,
    I have never had any neuropathy problems with my cats, but one had lots of pancreatitis problems... I swear you looked sideways at her pancreatitis or just mention it, it got inflamed and fussy.

My vet gave me a vial of B12, the pink stuff, and I gave her weekly shots, 25u once a week.
    That was the end of her pancreatitis flares. I was so happy, that I started giving the shots to my other cat as well, so B12 is good for several things.

3. arozeboom

I could be seeing things just because I'm looking for them but it seems like maybe her back legs are a bit stiff the past few days. With as crazy as her numbers have been, it wouldn't surprise me if she's developing neuropathy.

I'm thinking about ordering some of the Zobaline just in case. It can't hurt to give it to her, can it?
    And how much? She's about 14 lbs of furry cuddliness.

4. MelanieAndRacci

MelanieAndRacci Well-Known Member

Hi Amy,

My Racci has Neuropathy and takes Zobaline. It helped her tremendously. I just follow the instructions of 1 pill a day (30mg) but know of people who give much more. It has no sugar and can't hurt unless he's allergic or has another condition it's not good for or something.

Melanie & Racci

5. arozeboom

I went ahead and ordered some. Better to have it on hand in case I need it then to have to order it later.
    She still does the stairs fine. She just looks a bit stiff these past few days.

6. LILandKIT

LILandKIT Member

Hey Amy,

Kit started taking Methyl-B12 about a month and a half ago. He already had neuropathy and was walking quite badly. My pills come in 5mg doses, so at first I was cutting them in half and giving half each morning, but then I started giving the whole 5mg - only cuz it was easier than cutting it. It's water-soluble, so any excess is just peed out - no harm done. Kitten's now gone from barely being able to walk a couple steps without stopping and lying down, to walking up and down stairs and jumping on the sofa again. Oh and Kit was over 22lbs pre-diagnosis, then dropped to about 14...he's gained a lot back...overall, he's a big guy.

Not sure of its effects as a preventative measure, but I would agree with Melanie's answer :)

PS. Are you breathing yet? I was actually thinking about that bracelet you had today at work when I started stressing out.....and how I could really use one!

7. arozeboom

I'm telling you, this bracelet is a great reminder because I keep forgetting. :D

He ordered it from an artist on Etsy. You can search for "custom bracelet" and find about a billion different styles and price points. Mine is just a simple black leather that wraps 3 times around my wrist. Its got a thin silver plate with "breate" stamped on it.

8. owlgal

owlgal Well-Known Member

My cat has neuropathy really bad. He started out a little stiff and then all of a sudden just started loosing the muscle in the hips to floppy legs now. I started giving him zobaline back in Dec 1pill 2x/day. It really didn't work, so increased to 4x/day. I see a slight improvement, but not much. Some on the board said to give up to 5 pills per day when their cats had the neuro bad, so we have increased to 5 per day. I am switching slowly over to the raw chicken diet from Feline's pride and starting to see some muscle come back in his hips. SO maybe a combination of diet and zobaline is helping, not sure.

So do hope your kitty doesn't get the neuro. It is terrible to watch. You are doing good to get on top of it now because it just happens fast.

Good luck!

lori

9. arozeboom

Ruby is seriously a pain to pill. She handles testings and shots just fine but puts up an angry fight when I try to give her pills. Wrestling pills into a 14 lb cat is not fun.
    Can they be dissolved into her food?

10. owlgal

owlgal Well-Known Member

I crush them in his bowl before i put the food in. Then add the food and some water and mix well. He never notices it at all. Easy to do.

Just so you know it does have a reddish color when you crush it and mix with water. So don't worry when you see it. It almost looks like blood. I don't think it has a taste to it because my cat gobbles down all the food right away.

Good luck!

lori

11. arozeboom

Perfect! Thanks.
    I always add a bit of water to the FF anyway. Somehow Ruby manages to slurp all of the juice out of the food before anything else. It dries out really quickly if I don't add some extra water.

12. arozeboom

As a back up plan, are the Greenies Cat Pill Pockets Chicken Flavor good for diabetics? They sell them on ADW, but I wanted to double check.
    Ru's never been a fan of treats, other than the freeze dried stuff I've been giving her lately, so I don't know if she'd eat them anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.