Zobaline increasing blood glucose?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Liamcuff1, Aug 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liamcuff1

Liamcuff1 New Member

First time poster. Thanks for having me! I worry all day about Bodhi, the 12 year old tomcat diabetic. Recently I have his numbers below 300 most of the day (goes up after he eats then down sharply 2 hours later (nadir at around 100). I know that this has been asked a few times but does Zobaline increase BG? The last curve I gave him while on it increased numbers by over 100, and then I took him off for two days and they went back to pre Zobaline numbers. I WANT to use it to heal his neuropathy. Please advise! Thanks !

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome.

We've had many cats on Zobaline, without in increasing blood sugar. Perhaps if you can let us see your blood sugar test numbers, we can help you find another reason his numbers are going up. It's possible what you were seeing is something we call a bounce. This definition is from the New to the Group Sticky Note.
    Bouncing - Bouncing is simply a natural reaction to what the cat's system perceives as a BG value that is "too low". "Too low" is relative. If a cat is used to BGs in the 200's, 300's, or higher for a long time, then even a BG that drops to 150 can trigger a "bounce". Bouncing can also be triggered if the blood glucose drops too low and/or too fast.The pancreas, then the liver, release glucogon, glycogen and counter-regulatory hormones. The end result is a dumping of "sugar" into the bloodstream to save the cat from going hypoglycemic from a perceived low. The action is often referred to as "liver panic" or "panicky liver". *Usually*, a bounce will clear kitty's system within 3 days (6 cycles).
    Make sure you read all those sticky notes too. If you'd like with figuring out dosing, we use a common spreadsheet format here. Here are the instructions for the spreadsheet.
    FDMB Spreadsheet Instructions:
    Understanding the Spreadsheet/Grid

3. Liamcuff1

Liamcuff1 New Member

Thanks ! He is also on Hills MD and I’m considering moving him off since everyone here seems to hate it, but his clinical signs are going away. However even while controlled he now only pees on pee lads and rarely in litter.. it’s annoying. My mom recommends getting rid of them but I think he prefers them bc his legs hurt... any input? Thanks again!

4. Wendy&Neko

Is that MD wet or dry? Getting him in good blood sugar numbers is also key to helping neuropathy.

Liamcuff1 likes this.
  5. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Hi there and welcome!! I’m moving your post to the Main Health Forum as we ask all new members to start there. Once you get a spreadsheet and some of the other basics set up, then you can post back here in this forum.

Please be sure you read this post.

We’re glad to have you in the FDMB!

6. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

WELCOME
    Its not that we hate it, its just that dry food is PACKED with carbs. Carbs FEED diabetes. We encourage can (wet) food under 10% carbs.

7. Liamcuff1

Liamcuff1 New Member

M
    mostly wet with a drop of dry, but much less than I was giving him.... also I just did his 6th glucose test for a 12 hour curve and it was at 240 at 6pm and then 508 at 8pm... is that maybe wrong ? How is that possible ? He eats at 830 and gets the shot at 915am. From 8am to 8pm, every 2 hours: 230,225,90,128,340,508. Takes Humulim N

8. Liamcuff1

Liamcuff1 New Member

Thanks! So grateful for you guys.

9. Wendy&Neko

That 508 is indeed possible. Humulin doesn't last very long in cats. It doesn't last the full 12 hours. Lantus, Levemir or Prozinc are much better insulins in cats.

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Liamcuff1

Liamcuff1 New Member

Thanks. It’s odd though bc at 8am it was 230... I’ll talk to my vet about Lantus. In the meantime I’m going to work on this spreadsheet so o can utilize this site. Thanks again !

11. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

The dose took him quite low - 90. For a cat whose body is used to higher numbers, suddenly seeing a safe but unfamiliar lower number can trigger the body's counterregulatory responses to bring the number back up to a level it has become more familiar with. Sometimes the counter response overdoes things and that's when a cat can 'bounce' into higher numbers. Bounces are temporary.

Mogs

12. Liamcuff1

Liamcuff1 New Member

Thanks. Hopefully a switch to a Lantus could help... If he is only high for a few hours due to a temporary bounce, and there are no clinical symptoms (obviously already had neuropathy) is this ok, and is he considered regulated?

13. Critter Mom

Many vets consider a cat to be well-regulated if a cat's BG remains above the hypo threshold but under the renal threshold (the level at which glucose spills over into the urine). That's about 250mg/dL but it varies a bit from cat to cat (as measured on a veterinary glucometer ). However, that often involves the cat 'running high' and better control is possible.

By using an appropriate insulin, low carb wet diet, and sufficient testing for safety it is possible to regulate a cat more tightly, keeping its BG pretty much in the normal range. Lantus is such an insulin.

As Wendy mentions above, Humulin N does not have adequate duration in cats. That's why you see numbers rising significantly later in the cycle. Lantus lasts longer in cats and typically gives better BG control.

Mogs

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  14. jt and trouble (GA)

I can testify to this personally. Back when Trouble was alive thats the only insulin our vet used. It was a wild ride. More wild than a more suitable insulin would have been. We DID achieve remission but I totally thought I 'd lost my mind for a few days there.:rolleyes:
    jeanne

Liamcuff1 likes this.
  15. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

You’re very welcome!

16. Critter Mom

Quite.

I remember following Cathie and Shaak Ti when they first joined the forum. Talk about a rollercoaster! :nailbiting:

Mogs

17. jt and trouble (GA)

Needless to say tears nooo SOBBING was a daily release:rolleyes::oops::banghead:

Critter Mom likes this.
  18. Liamcuff1

Liamcuff1 New Member

We
    W
    I spoke with the Vet and were switching to Lantus and I’ll only feed him the hills md wet food since I have so much of it already . No more dry food

19. jt and trouble (GA)

Be careful now! Take away that dry food SLOWLY a little less every day. i removed Troubles dry and his numbers dropped 100 points! This can be VERY dangerous.

Liamcuff1 likes this.
  20. Liamcuff1

Liamcuff1 New Member

I took it away too fast yesterday and his numbers were 750 this morning. Def a reaction to near hypoglycemia

21. jt and trouble (GA)

750? Thats odd . Sounds like numbers went very high. hmmmm.

22. jt and trouble (GA)

do you mean 7.5???

23. jt and trouble (GA)

24. Liamcuff1

Liamcuff1 New Member

No Alpha Trek2 said 750, then 455 at 2pm which is his usual nadir (was 90 the day before)

25. Liamcuff1

Liamcuff1 New Member

Working on it. I delayed bc I’m going To vet today to change to Lantus and only Hills MD wet food

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.