Zobaline 3mg tabs for diabetes and CKD

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by j lance, Nov 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j lance

j lance Member

The recommended dose on the Zobaline container says 3mg once daily. I've read that most cat owners give this for approx. 3 months until the neuropathy is improved. Does anyone here who has a diabetic cat with CKD continue to give Zobaline at that dose? I've been reading that a CKD cat should not be given over .5 mg of methyl-b12 a day to prevent toxicity since the kidneys are not sufficiently functioning. My cat is diabetic and CKD and did well on Zobaline but I reduced the dose and he is limping now. I don't know if that could be attributed to the reduction of the vitamin supplement or something else.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi.
    I have a diabetic cat who also has CRD and it is my understanding that the dose should be reduced. Here is a page from the Tanya's CRD website which talks about Vitamin B12 doses.
    Is your cat's diabetes regulated yet? Because until it is, the neuropathy could still be a bit of a problem. My cat had neuropathy and I gave B12 Zobaline but it was when the blood sugars came down that the neuropathy went away....although the B12 did help a lot.
    http://www.felinecrf.org/vitamin_b.htm

3. j lance

j lance Member

HI Bron,

Thanks for your reply and reference page. I've read so much about all of this I get myself confused as to the dos and don'ts. It's always nice to hear another pet owner's opinion and about their experiences. Unfortunately some vets don't seem to be up to date on a lot of treatments, well at least mine isn't. He had never even heard of methyl-B12. ?????

All the best to you and your renal kitty. I have two and know it's difficult.

j

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi J,

It's tricky knowing what to do when managing multiple conditions. My Saoirse has CKD as well as diabetes, pancreatitis and liver problems; what helps one condition can interfere with management of another. :(

As discussed on Tanya's site, high level supplementation of B12 may accelerate progression of CKD. I give Saoirse a general B-complex (B vitamins can be lost through excessive urination) and also approximately 1/3 of a 3mg tablet of Zobaline daily. Saoirse seemed better in herself on 3mg Zobaline per day (e.g. coat condition improved) but I give her the smaller dose as a compromise.

Mogs

5. j lance

j lance Member

I think I might increased Tommy's Zobaline to a fourth of a 3 mg tab since he has seemed kind of depressed since I had reduced to 1/6 of a tab. His coat condition has really improved. He has no dandruff now and is all shiny and healthy looking. He also is developing high liver enzymes. The vet recommended Denamarin which is a supplement. I started him on it and notice his blood glucose is going down to the point that I have reduced his insulin from 1 1/2 units twice daily to 1 unit twice daily. I don't know if the Denamarin was the reason for the numbers dropping. I contacted the company and they assured me that it would not affect blood glucose. Is that the truth???? Who knows. Maybe it's just a coincidence. I've read a lot of reviews about Denamarin and liver enzymes. Some rave about it and some say it's a waste of time. His next blood work is in 3 weeks so I'll see if the enzymes come down.

j

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I now give 1/6 of a 3 mgm Zobaline to Sheba most days since the CRD diagnosis.
    I also give B complex as well in her food .........but she has home prepared fed so I need to add the vitamins etc to balance the food.
    I haven't heard of Denamarin so can't comment, sorry.
    My vet didn't know much about Vit B12 either, in relation to peripheral neuropathy. I think vets have so many diseases and so many animals to cover that they are not always up to date with some of the latest things. That is the beauty of this forum. Everyone has or has had a diabetic cat and has had the experience of looking after it 24/7 and often know a lot more than vets about Diabetes and how to manage it successfully.

Have you thought about setting up a spreadsheet here and getting people to help you with getting your cat regulated. They are very very good. Here is a link for you to have a look at.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

7. j lance

j lance Member

Bron and Sheba,

Thanks for the spreadsheet link. I have everything down on paper and will try to find the time to get it posted……..not good with computer stuff. :)

I'll stay at a reduced dose of Zobaline. It seems like it's almost easier to break the tablet with my fingers than using a pill cutter. ???

Also Mogs, thanks for your input on dosage too. It seems like it's easy for me to get stuck in the "more is better" way of thinking……….gotta get my mind on the right track!

I get so frustrated with vets. This diabetic forum is wonderful!!!!!

j

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Vets are like general practitioners ... for multiple species. It can be difficult to stay current on just routine care and conditions for the species with which a vet works, much less complicated conditions such as diabetes.

9. Suzi_S

Suzi_S Well-Known Member

When Snick was dx her neuropathy was just starting so we put her on Zobaline and later just one from the health food store. I didn't really see an improvement until I switched her to Lantus so we took her off. She recently has looked like she is getting feline hyperesthesia (basically very sensitive nerves in the back) so I tried her on it again and she seems to be slightly better. It's not listed as a remedy for it or anything but I figured what would it hurt. I find it easy to grind it with my morter and pestle then sprinkle it on her food.

10. j lance

j lance Member

Hi Mogs,

I was wondering what treatments you are using for pancreatitis and liver issues. Tommy's last blood work showed elevated liver enzymes. My vet wanted me to try the Denamarin supplement until his next blood work which is in 3 weeks. He is being treated presently for bladder inflammation and will have a urinalysis this week to see how that is going.

j

11. j lance

j lance Member

I agree but I think staying current on the common issues they see multiple times a year would be an important part of their practice, especially diabetes and kidney disease. There are a lot of great vets out there. I unfortunately have had to deal with vet clinics who operate like fast food restaurants.

j

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.