Your thoughts on my delemma

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by doombuggy, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

Disney is really messing with my shifts for next week. I am working at 5am on Sunday (my preferred shift start time) yet the following Saturday they have me going in at 5pm. I am actually looking to give this shift away. Here's the sitch:

for sunday, I would give cedric his insulin at 4am, right before I leave for work, instead of 6am. I would start adjusting his 12 hour schedule the day or two before. I would swing his time Sunday night to 5pm then go back to 6 am on Monday. your thoughts on this?

for saturday, my only choice if i worked that night shift would be to hire my pet sitter to come over to the house to feed the cats, scoop and give Cedric his insulin (she is a vet tech at my vet's). the cost for this would be $25. If my 6 hour shift pays me between $65-70, I would be giving about 1/3 of my day's pay to have someone "do my job' with Cedric. Plus the cost of the gas and tolls ($6 r/t) for the 60 mile r/t journey, I don't think it would be worth it. I would have to leave the house to go to work between 3 and 3:30 in order to get there on time (attraction traffic), so i couldn't give him an early shot (whcih I think would be too early) and getting home at mid-night would be too late (for both of us!). hence my reasoning for giving my shift away. if no -one takes it, I will have to hire Lindsay....

So let me know your thoughts about Sunday...

2. nckitties3

nckitties3 Well-Known Member

Can you get away with calling in sick, without a doctor's note? If yes, don't try to get anyone to take the shift, that would be suspicious. Go about your week, then call in sick.

If not, try to get someone to take it, you won't be out that much with what you're going to have to pay. If no one will take it, you'll have to get a sitter, just to keep in good with the boss.

That's just the way I'd look at it, I don't know your circumstances or work for the big rat. ;-) Lived in Orlando and had friends that did though and the further down the ladder you were, the worse the job conditions, but it's that way in any big company I think.

Again, just my opinion, take it for what it cost ya! ;-)

Don't forget the time change this coming weekend....you'll have to change kitty's shot time anyway.

3. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

I got someone to take my shift on the 16th. I work at Disney on the weekends only; been there almost 17 years. I try not to call out unless absolutely necessary, since we get demerits for it. I am glad that Frank was able to take my shift.

Ugh! We lose an hour this weekend, don't we? I have to get up at 3am on Sunday....glad I took off this saturday!

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Here is my suggestion.... there are many who have had shift work or long shifts, and they make weird adjustments to their routine.... it would not be perfect but what can you do. There are people who regularly work 12hr shifts, so right there, you see the problem that 12/12 shots would not be happening.

Go over to Health forum and post your situation with a Subject: How to handle shots when 12/12 not possible
    or something like that. You can change your subject for this post as well.... the one you have now is vague and you want to catch the eyes of those who have had to deal with it.

Keep in mind that you don't have to stick to the 15min move every cycle to get onto the next shot, OK?
    Something can be worked out so that you don't have to give up your shifts at work..... work is money and we need that to get the insulin, yes?

Your initial post was not totally clear to me.... what days and times would you have been working ... if you can post that info, we could work out a dosing schedule for you. You could do some fancy footwork with some shooting late and then shooting early, like a short turnaround and shoot a bit less.
    Day / Shot times / work start time
    Sun - 4am 4pm work at 6
    Mon - 4am 4pm work at 6
    Tue - 4am 4pm work at 6
    Wed - 4am 4pm work at 6
    Thu - 4am 4pm work at 6
    Fri - 4am 4pm work at 6
    Sat - 330am 3pm work at 5pm
    Sun - 330am 4pm work at ?
    Mon - 4am 4pm work at ?

I don't know how long your travel time is to work, or your time back home, or the days you work, but above is just an example of an adjustment style.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.