worried about hypo - transport cat - MC +5 57, +7 45, +8 100

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sarah and Velcro, Oct 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah and Velcro

Sarah and Velcro Member

copy pasted from pzi thread...........

I have tried to find a thread about MC (Mama cat) but have not been successful.

Tom's MC is staying with me overnight and then she will head to her new home tomorrow afternoon. I'm a rookie with PZI but I have numbers and feel I must report them. I'm worried since MC isn't eating and I don't know if my version of 0.5u is the same as Tom's.

no am shot - due to transport
    10/20 - 8pm - BG 489 and gave .5u of 100u, gave food
    10/21 - +4 - BG 155 - MC has not eaten any of her food, added cheese to food.

+5 - BG 55, put maple syrup on her nose, she licked a few times.
    +5.5 - BG 47, more maple syrup, made sure to apply to gums.

new problem... i have 1 test strip left. suggestions on when to test next.

+7 - BG 45 - maple syrup her, i think i got more in her than before. :D
    off to store

MC has some cooked ground beef next to her now. bought a meter with test strips and me a bag of candy. :D

+8 - bg 100 - YAY - she didn't eat any beef :\

2. Pumbaa

Pumbaa Well-Known Member

Re: worried about hypo - transport cat - MC +5 57

I'm no expert, but with one test strip left, it's going to have to count.

I'd keep giving her maple syrup on her gums and getting her to eat some high carbed food for the next hour. The maple syrup will only last short term, but the higher carbed food will stay in her system longer and hopefully prevent a hypo.

Is there anyone nearby that can run to any store and pick up a new meter that comes with some test strips? (The pharmacies here have the test strips behind the counter, you can't even purchase them off the shelf. That may be different where you are, but it's time to call in some favors from friends. *LOL*)

I'm going to see if Carl is around as he is more experienced with PZI, and maybe knows when the danger zone would be over.

Hang in there! Hopefully someone else can chime in here and give you better info that I can since I'm not familiar at all with PZI.

Suze

3. Sarah and Velcro

Sarah and Velcro Member

she will not eat. I'd have to force her.

30 min til +7, thinking of using the last test strip then

4. Pumbaa

Pumbaa Well-Known Member

Sarah, have you tried syringe feeding her?

I don't know her history or what food she is used to, or your level of knowledge of what to do to get her to eat.

Try tempting her with parmesan cheese sprinkled on the food. Try tempting her to eat with sardines or a can of tuna fish out of your pantry. Or leftover chicken or beef or pork or any high protein foods you have.

Has she refused gravy from HC food?

Poor MC is just very upset with the changes going on in her life.

Is there no one nearby that you can call on in this emergency to run to an all-night drugstore and get a new meter that includes test strips? I would hate to ask a friend to do this, too, but, geesh, an emergency is an emergency and better being in debt to a friend for this favor than having to take MC to an emergency vet clinic due to a hypo.

I did PM Carl, but he works weekends sometimes, so I don't know if he's around.

Hang in there!

Is MC showing any signs of being hypo? Can you keep rubbing her gums with syrup every 15-20 minutes?

5. Sarah and Velcro

Sarah and Velcro Member

MC looks good other than numbers she is fine.

going to test then run to store. i'll report number before i go. store will be 30 minutes round trip.

6. Pumbaa

Pumbaa Well-Known Member

Excellent, Sarah!

Test, give more syrup if needed (in the mouth, on the gums), and drive safely to and from the store.

(((HUGS))) You're handling this great!

7. Pumbaa

Pumbaa Well-Known Member

If you have a phone number for Tom, call him and ask him how low MC has dropped in the past without going hypo. And maybe he'll have some hints for you on how to get her to eat, like sing her her favorite song, or rub her just there. :) You never know until you ask!

8. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Re: worried about hypo - transport cat - MC +5 57, +7 45

Sarah is running to store for more strips. Said +7 was again 45 and she got some more syrup in MC. At least seems stable at 45. My experience with a normal situ and bcp was this should be nadir. But that was on a normal day.

9. Pumbaa

Pumbaa Well-Known Member

Thank you, Karen!

So, is this now being dealt with on the PZI board? (As in, can I now go and test Pumbaa and log off?) :)

10. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

I was posting with her over on FB. I think one other over there is hanging on. I have to crahs as I am getting a headache and really don't want a migraine! But I am comforted to see it has not dropped. My BCP days tell me this *should* be nadir.

11. Pumbaa

Pumbaa Well-Known Member

Karen,

Go take care of your head. I'll hang around until Sarah gets back and tests MC again.

I'm not on the FB site, so hopefully, someone else will still be there helping her through this.

I hope it's nadir, but if MC isn't eating because her life has been disrupted, who knows?

Suze

12. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

+7 is past normal nadir for most kitties but number relatively stable right now so i wouldn't be too worried. kitty isn't symptomatic, right?
    hopefully you've gotten some gravy variety of cat food. even if cat won't eat you can put a little gravy on kitty's gums.
    expect rebound later but that is okay.
    drop dose a tiny smidge, that's all (if number is normal shootable number at +12 or later).
    i don't really post here any more so i'll look on FB to see if you post again for more help.
    i used PZI a long time and am very experienced with hypos in my and others' kitties.

13. Pumbaa

Pumbaa Well-Known Member

Sarah,

You seem to be in good hand via people on FB who know PZI, so I am signing off.

Good luck to you and MC! Hope the rest of the night goes smoother for you, and your next leg of the transport is a breeze!

Suze

14. Sarah and Velcro

Sarah and Velcro Member

thank you all who helped!

I understand that many of you have to head to bed. :)

back from store. on my way i remembered Tom said MC liked ground beef so i bought that. a meter with strips, ham baby food and turkey marinated in gravy FF. cooked up some beef and she has it in a bowl next to her face in a carrier. (she was out of carrier but i can't keep pulling her out from under the bed)

I'd like to get something in her with something other than high carbs.

15. Sarah and Velcro

Sarah and Velcro Member

Re: worried about hypo - transport cat - MC +5 57, +7 45, +8

i'll get a +9 then take a nap. thank you all for the help, I was so worried <3

16. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

yep, looks well out of the woods. another higher test will confirm it.

17. Pumbaa

Pumbaa Well-Known Member

Sarah, glad that you and MC made it through! I didn't see any more numbers posted above, so I assume you were posting them on FB and her numbers were up.

Hope MC ate her burger *S* amd you got a nap in!

Suze

18. Sarah and Velcro

Sarah and Velcro Member

Morning! err afternoon!

MC's +9 was 144 so we went to bed. During the night she used the litterbox so I know she moved from under the bed at least once. Doesn't look like any food was eaten.

Since MC is going to have a car ride shortly I decided to skip the am shot. I'll grab a BG before we head out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.