Wildly fluctuating numbers!!????

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kevin McKinney, Jan 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin McKinney

Kevin McKinney New Member

Mi-kee has been on Lantus for about 4 months now with wildly fluctuating numbers. I have been injecting in the scruff of the neck and do know that I have achieved skin penetration as I feel the "pop" whn I remove the needle. His numbers we in low 300's for first couple of months and then I upped the dosage and changed the amount given at night VS at day. That is when numbers really started fluctuating down in the 40'2 and by the evening test he was hig 200's BEFORE food. Dosage increased to 3.5 AM/PM with not much change ant then yesterday he tested at 20! I fed him (out of normal time and gave him old dry food high in carbs) to keep him from crashing. Next test 6 hrs lated he was 138 so I debated and didn't inject anything! this AM he was at 283 so fed him the usual wet food I have been buying (sheba chicken shreads) and then gave him the 3.5 unit injection. testked 6 hrs later and he was at 40! Good reading if not on low side. Guess will have to check him again in 6 hrs but it will be feeding time and Injection time and I don't want to get him on a roller coaster of ups and downs. AT what point (reading) do I skip injection???? PS tried injection into shoulder scruff area instead of neck but got bit in process, he is touchy regarding his hips and stomach so should I try the shoulder scruff again? Thanks in Advance, Kevin

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Anytime you get a number below 50 on a human meter or 68 on an AT (pet meter), that is our "take action" number and you need to feed high carb food. If the dose is taking him that low, it's too high a dose and you need to reduce the dose. The 20's are especially scary. I don't know what dose you were giving when you got the 40's, but that was too high. The 3.5 units even more so.

It sounds like you are home testing - good for you. Any change you could put the test numbers in a spreadsheet? It's a tool we use here to help us figure out what dose to give. The instructions are here.

3. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

It sounds like he's bouncing from going so low in the cycle. I don't use Lantus but 20 is WAY too low so 3.5 units is too much. I suggest posting in the Lantus forum and see if they can help you with a better suggestion on a dose that won't drop him dangerously low.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.