What to do when your cat does not want to eat wet food?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Scarlette & Fluffy, May 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scarlette & Fluffy

Scarlette & Fluffy Member

Fluffy was fed his usual low carb Fancy Feast wet cat food. He may have taken a couple of licks but he didn't appear to eat very much of it at all. He walked out and went to the community Bowl where the dry food is, also high carb. He ate there for a few minutes then walked away. I am not quite set up for home testing yet, probably will be by tomorrow. But for now I'm not sure what to do. This morning he showed a little less interest in the wet food but he did eat it. I had to take him to that dish a second time in order for him to eat it. Perhaps he's bored with the seafood flavors. I did not know until today that it is recommended to only give Seafood twice a week. How do I know if he's just bored with the flavor or if his blood glucose is changing and he would just prefer carbs? Up until today he has been real good about eating his wet food and just snacking on the dry food. In order to make sure that he has enough food in his belly I put him back in my bathroom alone with some freshly made chicken bone broth about a quarter cup of dry food and some fresh chicken breast about 2 tbsp of chicken breast. If he eats all of that then I will give him his insulin for the evening. He has not displayed any questionable Behavior or alarming Behavior since we started this insulin Journey on March 18th. I just don't want to give him insulin if he doesn't have enough food in his belly. Anyone have suggestions I need peace of mind.

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Just a little more info on the fish flavors ,once or twice a week
    One is due to the heavy metal contamination found in a lot of fish these days, mercury being just one of them. Also, fish flavors are higher in phosphorus because a lot of bones end up ground up into cat food and bones are high in minerals. High phosphorus is harder on the kidneys. The last reason is because it can become "addictive" where the cat won't eat anything else. Fish isn't really supposed to be a normal part of any cat's diet. Few feline species include fish as a food source at all (although a few wild cats might snag a fish out of a river or pond now and then but more because it's something that's moving and triggers the hunting instinct than for actual food value)

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Bandit's Mom

@tiffmaxee

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Do you have a spreadsheet that we can see?

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Last edited: May 5, 2022
  6. Scarlette & Fluffy

Thanks for the info. Fluffy does not like to eat Fancy Feast beef I haven't tried any other non fish flavors because I thought that fish was the lowest in carbs and the best according to the research and until your post I did not realize any Mercury in fish or anyting. I now feel at a loss as to what food to feed him that is low carb especially when he gets switched to Lantus he will be most likely doing a hundred percent wet food diet. Or maybe I should consider not switching him to Lantus. I don't know I'm confused and very concerned on how we're going to get through this. I don't have unlimited funds to keep buying all these different foods. I can't use food stamps to buy canned cat food. This whole situation is so scary on many levels. I've had cats my entire life when I've never had to deal with a diabetic cat and of all cats fluffy is my Miracle cat.

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

There are many other Fancy Feast pates that are 2 or 3 percent
    Chicken , chopped grilled feast classic pate, liver and chicken
    I'll give you our food chart to you can look at the Friskies Pate flavors too
    Try to stay with 6% carbs and under

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dr-pierson-new-food-chart.174147/

Last edited: May 9, 2022
    Scarlette & Fluffy likes this.
  9. Scarlette & Fluffy

10. Diane Tyler's Mom

One more flavor is Fancy Feast Turkey and giblets
    @Scarlette & Fluffy

Look at Friskies Pate they are cheaper than the Fancy Feast Pates and larger cans

Last edited: May 5, 2022
  11. PH&MonkeyPenPenFaFaTiger

PH&MonkeyPenPenFaFaTiger Member

I dealt with many situations that my cats are sick and have poor appetites, in order to make them eats I think the most important is try as much as food as you can, when one of my cat has kidney disease and refuse to eat, I buy like 20 types of food , different meat ,different texture, different brand, I find that the liquid type of food are the most easily accepted food among all. They almost never refuse it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.