911 WHAT IS WRONG??? Jai Jai: AMPS 407; PMPS: 31

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by heyhollis, Aug 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyhollis

heyhollis Member

***This is the same thread I posted in the Main Forum

I am scared, really really scared. Jai Jai has quite high BGs these two days. But his PMPS is a lot of astonishment.

WHAT is wrong with him? He does not show any sign of hypo, no, nothing. He has eaten his food rapidly.

(((Normal injection time: 19:30)))
    19:00 Food ate: 70g
    19:20 PMPS: 31
    19:30 Feed more food: 40g
    19:50 BG: 61
    20:30 BG:95
    21:00 BG: 115
    21:45 BG: 165

I need help on dose advice. I skipped the PM dose, but I do not know if what dose should I shoot tomorrow morning. Please help. Million thanks.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  2. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

This is very quick as I am heading out the door to work...but did you retest that 31? Sometimes a test can be wonky. If you retested and confirmed that he is that low, please give him some high carb or karo - we need him up from that number. Retest in 20 minutes.

3. heyhollis

heyhollis Member

Yes, I have retested him and he is up. Now he is 115.

I skip the shot tonight, but I do not know what to do tomorrow's morning.

4. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Is he behaving normally?

5. heyhollis

heyhollis Member

Yes, he received me when I was home. He jumped up and down so easily. He ate the food in a snap. What is not right was he still had some loose stool, and we had been feeding him small amount of pumpkin to help fix this problem.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

That 31 definitely earned a .25U dose reduction.

heyhollis likes this.
  7. heyhollis

heyhollis Member

I am also thinking of giving 0.75 in the tomorrow morning. Thank you for your advice. Have a nice day with Neko, Wendy.

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Shooting 0.75u tomorrow is fine.

For the future, when you get a low pre-shot number, you have several options. One option is what you did today -- skip the shot. The downside of skipping is that there's an excellent chance that numbers will be sky high at the next shot time. (You have the double whammy of what will no doubt be a bounce due to the surprisingly low number plus not having given any insulin.)

Another option is to shoot a reduced dose -- we call this a "big chicken sh*t" (BCS) dose.

The third option is to stall. You do not feed (except if numbers are below 50 in which case you give some low or high carb food depending on where the numbers are), wait for 15 - 20 min and re-test. If numbers are rising, it's generally OK to shoot. When you get a number in the 30s, though, you do have to supplement with HC and then the stalling is a little more complicated.

You may want to read through the sticky note on Shooting & Handling Low Numbers. This will happen again and it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

heyhollis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.