What is a Hypo Kit?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Debra and Yoyo, Nov 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debra and Yoyo

Debra and Yoyo Well-Known Member

Hello,

This is all very new to me and my cat-Yoyo.
    Yoyo has been diagnosed with diabetes.
    I haven't started giving him insulin yet, this is probably going to start this week.

I am very nervous and have lots of questions.
    Such as what does a hypo kit consist of?
    Does insulin, Lantus, need to be refrigerated?
    Where can Lantus be purchased at the best price?
    How long do you store Lantus to make sure the unsulin is potent. I read that after 30 days the insulin looses its potency. Is any one familiar with this?
    Does one give insulin injection before feeding or after feeding.
    What if the insulin is given before eating and I can't get Yoyo to eat, what do I do?
    Also, what if Yoyo vomits his food up after having his injection?

Any information that can be sent my way, will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Breathe! We're here to help. We all remember how frightened we were at the beginning. :)

Hypo info: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hypo-links-be-prepared-just-in-case.48385/

Yes, the pen cartridges and 10 mL vials need to be in the fridge. Some people start using the pens with the dosing mechanism but those can't be refrigerated because it affects the dosing mechanism. This isn't our recommended way to dose, though. Using U100 insulin syringes that are 0.3 mL (cc) capacity with half unit marks is best.

Many people order from a reputable online pharmacy in Canada, Marks Marine Pharmacy. The cost will be half what you pay in the US. Some also purchase from trustworthy suppliers who post in the "Supply Closet" forum.

The package insert might say that but most people here get 4 to 6 months from a 10 mL vial. Part of the vial might remain at the point where the insulin loses its oomph. The pack of five 3 mL cartridges is better value - 15 mL of Lantus for almost the same price as a 10 mL vial. You'll use each cartridge well before it expires and the unopened ones will be good in the fridge until the package expiry, usually two years ahead.

5540"]Does one give insulin injection before feeding or after feeding.[/QUOTE]

We're big advocates of home testing of blood glucose to assess a dose, keep kitty safe and learn kitty's patterns. The order of things is: 1. do pre dose blood glucose test; 2. feed; 3. give insulin. The home testing thing is what many struggle with mentally at first but it truly does get very routine. We can help.

It's given while or after eating. Lantus is a slower onset insulin and there are ways to deal with the scenario you described.

It can happen. We can help. If it's "scarf and barf" feeding smaller meals helps or waiting a bit then feeding a tablespoon or so is good enough. Again, we can help.

I suggest you go to the Lantus forum and look at the yellow info stickies at the top to learn more about Lantus and how it works. Introduce yourself there, say you're totally new and very worried. There are many very experienced people there to guide you along.

Here the most basic testing routine we recommend:
    1. test every day AM and PM before feeding and injecting (no food at least 2 hours before) to see if the planned dose is safe
    2. test at least once near mid cycle or at bedtime daily to see how low the BG goes
    3. do extra tests on days off to fill in the response picture
    4. if indicated by consistently high numbers on your spreadsheet, increase the dose by no more than 0.25 u at a time so you don't accidentally go right past a good dose
    5. post here for advice whenever you're confused or unsure of what to do.
    This is useful: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

I hope this helps. It WILL be overwhelming at first and the learning curve is steep but you'll be amazed at how quickly it becomes routine.

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

BTW - congrats on setting up your spreadsheet!

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  4. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Other members will expand on this.
    A HYPO kit is for cats who go too low on blood sugar. The exact numbers are slightly different for each cat, I've seen numbers as low as 72 with no apparent effect but it's not something you want to experiment with. HYPO is an emergency. The idea is to get sugar into the cat's system immediately.
    Most people use karo syrup. I've also used corn syrup and honey. To get it into the cat you can put a blob on your fingertip and rub it on the cat's gums. Each method lasts a different amount of time so you don't do it just once. You're also getting new meter readings every 15 or 20 minutes while you're on the phone with a vet. On the side of our fridge are phone numbers to vets, emergency clinics, cab companies. Also maps and printed directions in case someone else is driving and you're in the back seat. That's a worst case scenario and we haven't even talked about seizures.
    I've only come close to HYPO twice in 6+ years with 2 cats and each time I managed it at home but you need to be prepared. Keep what you need somewhere safe where no one will move it or think it's expired food.
    We're not concerned about egos here. If I'm wrong about anything someone will correct me.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  5. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

This doesn't have to be a tragedy, you only have to be prepared just like someone with an asthmatic child.
    Your profile is bare, put details in there like pre-existing medical conditions, other meds being taken, other animals in the home, your general location and what time zone you're in.
    The various insulin forums all have what we call Stickies, the topics that always stay at the top. They're a gold mine of information. I just picked this one from Caninsulin because it has HYPO information in it. Print all or some of it, make a shortcut to it on your computer. Whatever works for you.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/beginners-guide-to-caninsulin-vetsulin.186099/

6. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Good morning and hello again Debra. I am inserting a couple of links for you on hypos, the first is what to do in case of a hypo, the second is about having a kit, or tool box on hand and what should be in it.
    HYPO
    HYPO TOOL BOX
    Hopefully you will never need them, but it's good to be prepared.
    I realize that you are being exposed to a lot of information right now, it's a bit daunting at first. But, you are going to learn the basics: testing, treatment with insulin and how to manage your insulin supply, and diet.
    You have already set up your signature and spreadsheet, congrats on that. It's normal to be nervous, but take time to breathe, and read the recommended information when you can. I will admit, I spent a great deal of time at first, reading and rereading. It certainly didn't all sink in at once. You still have all the other "life" things to do while you are integrating this new aspect of your life. It will happen, and our aim, along with yours, is to help Yoyo feel better. So, keep asking questions, we are here for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.