What glucose Monitor do you use?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Judy and Hershey, Aug 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judy and Hershey

Judy and Hershey Member

Hello everyone, as I am sure you all know the ReliOn Confirm Monitor has been discontinued. You can still purchase test strips, but I am sure eventually they will be discontinued as well. I am looking for a new monitor that still on require .3 ul sample and test strips that are not super expensive. Thanks for your advice!

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

No advice on this question but Hershey is adorable. :bighug:

Raycatparent likes this.
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, you're looking for a unicorn. The Freestyle lite takes the small sample size, but the strips are pricey.

The Relion Prime is what a lot of people switched to when the Confirm was D/C'd. It takes a little bigger sample size but still less than a lot of other meters and you can't beat the price of $17.88/100 strips.

The Prime takes 0.5 compared to the 0.3 the Confirm needed
    blood drop size.PNG

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

@Chris & China (GA) - Has the Relion Micro been discontinued too? (Playing catch-up here, so I will know what to recommend to new members.)

Mogs

5. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

I’ve used both the freestyle and ReliOn Prime. I’ve now switched totally to ReliOn. I was concerned with the difference in blood amount needed, but I honestly feel I used to get way more error messages with freestyle. I now know visually if I have enough or not and the only times I get errors is when I insist and think, maybe this is enough even though I know it won’t be

6. Chris & China (GA)

Yes, unfortunately....there are still strips available at some Walmarts and at ADW but you can't buy the meter

7. Judy and Hershey

Judy and Hershey Member

Thanks so much! What monitor do you use?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  8. jt and trouble (GA)

I no longer have a diabetic kitty. Trouble passed away back in 2010. So long ago I cant remember what meter I used . My hubby uses the ReliOn though. (hes the only diabetic that lives here now):p

9. Judy and Hershey

Judy and Hershey Member

Thanks for your advice, which one do you use?

10. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I take it you read where I wrote which one I use right? :)

11. Chris & China (GA)

The Prime because you can't beat the cost of the strips

12. Critter Mom

@Chris & China (GA) -

I've seen mention of another Relion meter in a few posts since my return. Name begins with a 'P' (Premium? Premier?). What's that like in terms of strip costs and how big a sample it needs?

Mogs

13. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

14. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

ReliOn Prime. It’s the one I use, 100 strips for $17.99

15. Chris & China (GA)

It's the Premier and the strips are the same as the Prime but for some weird reason, it seems to run a little higher than the Prime. The tests are almost more "pet-like" than human meter-like.

16. Judy and Hershey

Judy and Hershey Member

Thank you for the chart, very helpful. I wondered how much more blood .5 would be, Hershey's ear bleed pretty good, guess I will go with the Prime or Premier, will resarch both!

17. Judy and Hershey

Judy and Hershey Member

Yes, your advice is excellent and I'm going to purchase the prime, I called Relion Confirm and they sent me a $15 gift card to use towards the purchase of a new meter. Quite surprised actually!

18. fig4159

fig4159 New Member

Newbie here. Can someone please explain why you're all using human (never mind notoriously unreliable) meters instead of one made for animals? I know they're a lot more expensive, but isn't it safer (and easier) to use one that's calibrated for the species you're using it on?

19. Critter Mom

As long as you use the reference range appropriate to the meter you're using they're both equally safe.

FDMB uses the reference range 50-120mg/dL for human meter readings.

My vet gave me the reference range 70-150mg/dL for veterinary meter readings. (Note: FDMB uses the lower limit of 68mg/dL.)

Mogs

20. fig4159

fig4159 New Member

Thanks, Mogs. The diagnosing vet said: feed him twice a day no matter what (wanted to sell me prescription Science Diet, YUCK!) and give him insulin twice a day. NOTHING about when to give the insulin, just how much. Could he actually believe that one urinanalysis, one labwork, and one ear prick (after a week on insulin) = stability?

My cat is NOT fine -- which is how I wound up here. I have SO many questions! Like, does the hunger/drinking/peeing decrease? Knowing what to do and when to do it, especially re: feeding and testing would be so helpful, especially until I can find a competent vet. I'm feeding him plain raw chicken raw while I do more research. He's quite thin and needs to gain some weight (whereas my 1 pre-diabetic cat needs to lose).

Are there step-by- step instructions somewhere? If so, I'd really appreciate a link. I can't sit long at the computer, and there's so much info here!
    Thanks again.

Julie

21. jt and trouble (GA)

22. Critter Mom

As the cat becomes better regulated, these should all decrease and, hopefully, return to normal.

Start here:

How to Help Us to Help You

Mogs

23. jt and trouble (GA)

the hunger drinking thing lessens quickly once insulin starts works

The usual is Feed Test Shoot you want to test BEFORE you inject insulin

Pick up food 2hr before testing for shot. (you dont want the test to be influenced by food)

24. jt and trouble (GA)

or you can just click on Mogs link

:facepalm: duh jeanne (thats me btw) hi!

Critter Mom likes this.
  25. fig4159

fig4159 New Member

I'm raw feeding so there's no food out. And he is very thin...

26. Critter Mom

Basic Drill

Pick up food 2hr before testing for shot. (you dont want the test to be influenced by food)[/QUOTE]
    Fast - Lift all food for 2 hours before next dose is due so that preshot BG won't be food-influenced.
    Test - Check fasting BG to see whether it's safe to give next dose.
    Feed - Give the cat a meal. You may need to wait 30-60 minutes before giving the injection, depending on the insulin you are using.
    Shoot - if BG is high enough and if cat is eating enough administer the insulin injection.
    Check for Nadir BG - perform mid-cycle BG tests at time when insulin is working at its strongest (time varies by insulin type and also, to a degree, by cat).

It is OK to give additional food between injections but the best times to feed depend on the insulin type.

Mogs

27. jt and trouble (GA)

Judy sorry your thread got hijacked:(

Critter Mom likes this.
  28. Judy and Hershey

Judy and Hershey Member

No worries, very good information given! I purchased the ReliOn prime, coming from the RelioOn confirm. Would the number's be significantly "higher"? Hershey is usually around 215-230, and with this one he has been around 280...
    Wondering how long it will take to transition over, felling the "confirm" was lower. I would have kept using the old meter, but it finally gave out on me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.