What do you feed your cat?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by idauria, Jan 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idauria

idauria Member

I posted before that I would like to switch my cat's food. I am scouring the chart to see what would work best. He is currently on Hill's Prescription W/D which is 37% protein/38%fat/25% carbs(prescribed after having pancreatitis a few months ago). I would like to switch to something low carb that's also moderate fat, unless fat content doesn't really matter? Vet says low fat is good for pancreatitis, but carb content seems more important. Anyway, I would love to know what y'all(I'm from North Carolina) feed your kitties.

Thank you!!

2. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Low fat is recommended for dogs with pancreatitis, but not necessary for cats.

I was feeding my girl Fancy Feast Classics and 9 Lives Pate (FF is better quality). Another popular choice is Friskies Pate. Anything under 10% is good, ideally under 5%.

This list shows you carb/fat/protein/phosphorus content for all US wet foods.

3. idauria

idauria Member

I have been studying this chart!! The two things I do not like about FF is the small size of the cans and wheat gluten/soy flour/soy protein in the formula. Of course I just looked at the can of Hill's w/d and it also has wheat and corn!! This is so frustrating!

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I use a combination of a raw diet and ZiwiPeak. The ZiwiPeak is pricey but the ingredients are very good.

Panic likes this.
  5. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Yes, I was having to alternate FF and 9 Lives since FF was a little pricey. Another option is trying raw, it's surprisingly easy and you get to avoid all the preservatives and undesirable ingredients. A lot of brands was making my tomcat's tummy upset and switching to raw has eliminated that issue.

I think Wellness is another good brand I've seen recommended.

6. Scdal

Scdal Member

My cat is also on a raw diet. I give him beef stew meat, kidneys, chicken hearts and gizzards, chicken and turkey meat, fish filets and liver. I cut it up with poultry scissors. To give his vitamin supplements, I give Phoenix a raw meatball of ground beef or turkey and mix in his supplements. I warm it a little in the microwave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.