? What do I do? did not shoot this AM b/c BG @ 189...but now @ 429

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lara & Bernie, Apr 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lara & Bernie

Lara & Bernie New Member

Ok. So my sugar baby 's BG was at 158 this morning. After reading up on the forum, I waited 20 min and did another reading. It was at 189 so I fed my boy and skipped the shot. :).....I thought this was great news....2 hours later....I check the BG and now it is at 429.:nailbiting::(:arghh:....What do I do now? Do I give him the morning dose of 1.5 Prozinc or do I wait until tonight at 7:30 to give it.

2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi---

Not a prozinc user, but I think I would wait and just shoot tonight (a day in higher numbers won't be a problem, assuming no ketone history). What probably happened was that he went even lower overnight, and his body is now reacting and bouncing from that. He'll come down again, don't worry!

If you did shoot, my understanding is that you do have some wiggle room with Prozinc (maybe a couple hours?) so you don't have to get too far off schedule, but I don't think I'd shoot any earlier than 10hrs after this morning's shot, whenever you shot.

3. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

I’m not a prozync user either, but my suggestion is next time shoot instead of skipping the dose. Especially with the libre you can monitor his BG and use food to make sure he doesn’t dip too low. It was a nice preshot blue and getting used to and comfortable shooting the lower numbers will allow for better regulation of his diabetes. It will also give you valuable data as to how he reacts when you do! I think the 429 is letting you know next time it’s okay not to skip the dose. It’s all a learning experience, skipping and not skipping the shot teaches how your cat reacts to each scenario.

4. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Lara, I'm not a Prozinc user either, but in the beginning, here on the main health forum, we would encourage a no shoot number of 200, and if you are unsure, stall, do not feed, and retest in 20 Minutes, which you did. You can post for help, with a title like: BG xxx, Stalling, please help

I believe the philosophy with shooting lower numbers than you are used to is very similar. Until you collect enough data on how your cat responds to insulin, the general guidelines are:

• Below 150, don't give any insulin
    • Between 150-200, you have 3 options: 1) give nothing, 2) give a token dose (10-25%) of the usual dose, or 3) feed as usual, test in a couple of hours then decide based on that value. If you choose to shoot late, you'd need to adjust your shot times afterward, so if you don't have flexibility in your schedule, then the shooting late option won't work.
    • Above 200 but below the cat's usual preshot value, then a reduced dose might be wise.
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/prozinc-dosing-methods.225629/
    I'm sure he'll get back on track. I don't think anyone has shared this info post yet:

New? how you can help us help you

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    Reason for edit: Added info link
  5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Unfortunately, if you skip a shot, there's a good chance that. your cat's numbers will rise since there's no insulin on board. If you can afford to be off schedule, you can stall more than one 20 min period. If you do stall, you want to see that numbers are rising . It looks like when you stalled, there was about a 20% difference between your first and second test. This is at about the amount that is covered by meter variance (i.e., 20%). If you had stalled for another 20 min, it's likely that numbers would have continued to be on the upswing and it would have been safe to shoot.

Have you seen the information on the dosing methods for Prozinc? It's on the Prozinc forum. I'd encourage you to look the sticky note on dosing since it may be time to raise Bernie's dose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.