What are the numbers I should be looking for??

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Muffin and Marilyn, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Muffin and Marilyn

Muffin and Marilyn Member

Hi,

I just purchased a ReliOn Micro bg monitor and performed my first test on Muffin. At + 10 his reading was 257. I've read a lot of posts but I don't recall seeing anything about what numbers I should be looking for - besides the danger of falling below 60. Is there a normal range? (he is getting 2 units 2x a day of Lantus - weights about 22 lbs).

Muffin was not happy with me poking at his ear - took me a couple of tries. I read a couple of posts where the pad on the paw was used. Any comments on this method?

Thank you all for your support!!

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Normal BG range is 50 - 120 on a human meter. If numbers drop below 50 and you're following the Tight Regulation Protocol, you steer them back up using food -- usually high carb food -- and you subsequently reduce the insulin dose. If you're following Start Low Go Slow (SLGS), reductions occur if numbers are below 90. I'm not sure where the 60 came from. You might want to review the sticky notes on these two approaches to dosing since it will be very helpful if you pick one. Actually reading through all of the sticky notes at the top of the Board will help you to know where all of this information can be found.

Ideally, you want to keep your kitty in normal numbers. At the least, you want to try to keep numbers below renal threshold, which varies for each cat, but below 200 is good.

Muffin is a big kitty! Most of us poke an ear. It can take a couple of weeks for the capillary bed to fully develop and for the ear to bleed more easily. Using a bigger gauge lancet (e.g., a 28 gauge) can help in the beginning. There are some people who poke paw pads. I've not done it so I can't comment.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello Marilyn, and welcome to you and sweet Muffin! Good job on the first test.:)

We consider normal number range to be 50-120 here. Some of our non diabetic cats can test in the 40's, but we don't like them going that low when they are on insulin.

There is lots of good reading in this forum. I'd start with the yellow Sticky Notes above. As Sienne mentioned, the SLGS and TR stickies are good ones to read. Once you've decided which of those you'd like to follow for dosing, it'll give you a better idea of what range of numbers you'd like Muffin to be in.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

This post on Testing and Shooting Tips may have something to help you. Are you putting Neosporin with pain relief on his ears?

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Here's something I wrote up for others for testing...maybe it'll help you too!

It can be really helpful to establish a routine with testing. Pick one spot that you want your "testing spot" to be (I like the kitchen counter because it's got good light and it's at a good height....it also already blocked 2 escape routes due to the wall and the backsplash) It can be anywhere though...a rug on the floor, a table, a particular spot on the couch...wherever is good for you. Take him there as many times a day as you can and just give his ears a quick rub and then he gets a yummy (low carb) treat. Most cats aren't objecting so much with the poking..it's the fooling with their ears they don't like, but once they're desensitized to it and learn to associate a certain place with the treats, they usually start to come when they're called! Or even when they hear us opening the test kit!

You also have to remember...you're not poking him to hurt him...you're testing him to keep him safe and understand what's going on inside his body. There's just nothing better than truly understanding what's going on inside your kitty's body and with this disease, the more knowledge you have, the more power you have against it. The edges of the ears have very few pain receptors, so it really doesn't hurt them. Also, if you're nervous and tense, it's going to make your kitty nervous and tense too. As silly as it might seem, try singing! It forces you to use a different part of your brain!

It's also important to make sure his ear is warm. A small sock filled with a little rice and microwaved or a small pill bottle filled with warm water (check temp against your wrist like you would a baby bottle) works well

Finding the right "treat" will be a great help too! Freeze dried chicken, bonito flakes, little pieces of baked chicken...whatever low carb treat you can find that he really enjoys will help him to associate the testing with the treat! China's Achilles heel was baked chicken, so I'd bake a piece, chop it into bite sized pieces, put some in the refrigerator and freeze the rest to use as needed. It didn't take long for her to come any time I picked up the meter!

6. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Hi Marilyn,

I saw your other post about feeding Muffin. Since he's eating dry food, you need to choose the Start Low Go Slow dosing method. Eating only low carb canned food is a requisite for following Tight Regulation Protocol. If you can negotiate with him to switch to canned low carb, then you'd have the option of Tight Reg. Some kitties are easy to transition (mine was) and some are dry food addicts. Being diabetic means that the cat is dehydrated - the high blood sugar causes cats to pee large quantities. If you can transition him, it's better for him.

He may need to lose some weight too, although for a cat's safety, it has to be done slowly. Fat is the enemy of diabetes - it increases insulin resistance. The link Sienne gave you at catinfo.org has great information on helping a cat safely lose weight, on feline diabetes, and on feeding cats an appropriate diet. The other issue that diabetic cats often face is kidney disease. High blood sugar over time is hard on the kidneys.

Kudos to you for getting the glucometer and getting your first test in. That makes you a member of the Vampire Club! Welcome! ;)

You're going to have a million questions - just keep asking. You can edit the subject line to reflect a new question once you're satisfied with the answers you've got.

Here is a post "Where Can I Find?" that might help you navigate around and re-find information in this group.

Glad to have you and Muffin here!

7. Muffin and Marilyn

Vet check up yesterday. His BG was down a little but she increased his dose to 3 units 2 x a day (he is almost 22 lbs - just a big kitty!!). Made me nervous increasing it so I waited until this AM before I gave him the increased dose. I did start using the spreadsheet to monitor his progress (or lack of it). The testing is getting a little easier although he jumps when I poke his ear. I've been rubbing the ear before and after hoping to catch him off guard. He ate his FF a little better this morning, but only about 1/3 of a can :( :(. He still loves his dry food so I'm going to try the Young Again food. I let him eat a little bit of the EVO.

I have a question about the Lantus pens. The pharmacy wouldn't sell me syringes - said I had to use the screw on needles. Have any of you used syringes with the pens? The needles are okay, but if I have to increase the dose by 0.5 I won't be able to do it with the pens.

8. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome,

Hang in there with the testing. We just about all wanted to pack up and run away from home at the start. Soon, you will be one more seasoned veteran. You'll know you are truly "in the club" when every time you see a cat's ear, al little part of you wants to test it. :)

Yes, you use the pen with syringes for your kitty to draw the proper dose. Depending upon the state you are in, you have every right to buy syringes with or without the pharmacy's approval. I am in CT and here a prescription is required to buy more than 10 at a time. My vet gave me a prescription.

Make sure you buy the right kind of syringe. Not all are the same. There are some stickies here that talk about that.

My kitty used to love his dry, too. Rosie did as well. But the overall value to his quality of life--and to yours--of eliminating the dry is so great, I'd say give it a try.

Good luck with the process and ask lots of questions. There are some VERY experienced people here who will help you out.

9. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Pretty much all of us use regular insulin syringes with the pens....NOT the special needles that are used with humans

You just pull the cap off the pen and there's a rubber stopper (just like a vial has)

syringe in pen pic.jpg syringe in pen close up.jpg

10. Muffin and Marilyn

Thank you for your information about the pen. I thought this was possible. I tried to explain to the pharmacist but he was adamant that I could not use a syringe.

11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I wonder what he tells parents with kids that need small doses like our kitties? Obviously, the pharmacist is wrong.

12. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

Hi Marilyn! I use Layla's paw pads to test her BG's. For me I find it easier! If Muffin doesn't mind the toes being touch... You might want to try

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.