Vomiting/diarrhea in good numbers - dosing question

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by KJC80, Aug 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KJC80

KJC80 Member

Toby's had lower than normal PMPS lately, so I've given him smaller shots on those days (trying to figure out what works). It appears he gets a longer curve than typical on the Vetsulin. He's free-fed Dr. Elsey's Chicken kibble and Fancy Feast pates with added water. He gets Purebites chicken and duck liver treats. In the past week, he hasn't eaten as much as he normally does, but he does eat frequently throughout the day when he gets up from one of his numerous naps.

This morning, he had completely liquid stool that was yellowish/tan in color. I added some Floriflorta into his wet food, but he didn't eat all of it. I'll add more with his wet food tonight. He also vomited around +8, so I took a test after he settled down and it was 131. His behavior is normal - I can rub his stomach like usual and he doesn't appear to be in any pain.

I guess my question is am I giving him too much insulin? Not enough? I wasn't able to get very many mid-cycle tests the last few days because of work, but his PMPS this week seems to indicate that he's spent some time in the blues. Is his body reacting because it's not used to being this low - the vomiting and diarrhea?

This cat's body is confusing me. Help!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Vomiting and diarrhea are usually a sign of digestive upset rather than a reaction to insulin. Have you tried a different flavour of FF pate recently? a new bag of Dr. Elsey's (formula change?). Could he have eaten something you're unaware of?

Many members on FDMB use slippery elm bark (SEB) to treat a variety of digestive system complaints. You could post asking about that - what form, how much, etc. I have no experience with it myself.

Your SS isn't updated so I don't know what to say about insulin dose. Blues are not too low though so if you aren't seeing anything lower than blue the dose isn't dropping him too much.

3. KJC80

KJC80 Member

Thank you for the info! I did give him FF Chunky Chicken this week for the first time, so that may have done it. We're at the last bits of my Dr. Elsey's, so it's the same bag. I noticed some fur in his vomit, so he may have a hairball, too. I just updated with his PMPS - it's 176. Please let me know if you can't see it - I may need to fix the setting. I normally give him 2u, but I don't know if I should give him his full dose when he's been running lower most of the day.

4. Kris & Teasel

The last date showing data on your SS is August 23.

5. KJC80

KJC80 Member

I screwed up my numbering - went from 8/20 to 8/21 back to 8/20 and then onward. It should be correct now.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  6. Kris & Teasel

How is Toby's tummy this morning?

7. KJC80

KJC80 Member

I think he's OK. No vomiting or poop. He ate well yesterday and overnight. I don't see any more diarrhea in his pan, so I'm hoping the Fortiflora helped some. He didn't eat much of his breakfast, but he's sleeping now.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.