Vetsulin, 6 wks in

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by BatGirl, Feb 22, 2024.

1. BatGirl

BatGirl New Member

1. Name of your kitty, and date of diagnosis.

BatGirl, 11yrs, first diagnosed Nov 2023. Finally found a vet to Treat her Jan 2024.

2. Which insulin, and which glucose meter?

Vetsulin, ReliOn

3. Details of diet. And did you switch from dry to wet food? If so, at what point?

Switched from Rachel Ray dry and Friskies wet to high protein, low(er) carb dry and wet during the first 3 wks. Noticed a good change in her behavior then she got a little punky again. After more research I eliminated kibble completely. She gets wet food Only, 3 times per day. TikiCat Luau variety and Orijen, since mid-Dec 2023; also ground chicken, fish, eggs, healthy proteins. No dry food at all. There's a lot to be said about home processed food, and $$$Saved, stretching those small expensive cans...

4. If you used any other insulin besides the current one, which one was it, and how long were you on it.
    N/A

5. Date of last shot. And average BG (blood glucose level) since then.

Last, Feb 14, 2024. Avg bg 79. Neg ketones.

6. From start to finish, how long was your cat on insulin?

Start to finish 6 weeks

7. Anything else specific to your cat's situation that it might be important/useful for others to know (concurrent health issues? Other?)

Initially she had dropped from 13lbs to just under 6 at her lowest. She's back up to 8 lbs last wk. Now playful and more like her old self. Good grooming again and not camped out under the bed. Also going through Much Less Litter!

An odd thing I noticed was a new Very noticeable Fleck in her eye at, what I now believe was the onset, or at least when I started noticing subtle symptoms. Now, after treatment and bg under control, the fleck is Barely there. Coincidence? Idk.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2024