? Vet recommends higher carb food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LisaAF, Apr 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LisaAF

LisaAF New Member

I recently took my sugar kitty to a new vet, who came highly recommended for diabetic cats. Hawx has been on Vetsulin since his original diagnosis in February, and he is only fed Friskies & FF low carb pate. The new vet requested a curve, which we emailed her this morning. Now she wants me to change his food to either Glycobalance, Hill’s w/d or m/d, or Purina dm. I do not want to switch him, I feel that will send him in the opposite direction. My problem is, I don’t know how to tell her that without sounding like a know it all. I’m more interested in switching him to a different insulin. Any suggestions on how I can discuss this with her?

Marina & Chico likes this.
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Before I comment on the above ....Just looked at your SS and you are not getting any tests in during the pm cycle. Cats often drop lower at night so unless you are testing you have no idea what is happening. Please try and get into the habit of getting a before bed test done each night. If that test is lower than the preshot BG you would be wise to set the alarm and test again a few hours later.

All the food the vet is recommending is high in carbs. Vets are given their education in nutrition by the big manufacturers who make this prescription cat food. And of course the manufacturers promote their own products. I find it incredible that highly educated people like vets can promote this high carb food when they must know that low carb food is best. They would not feed their own diabetic child cake and ice cream and junk food as a regular diet so why do it to cats?

Your instincts are correct. I would definitely not go back to feeding any of that food. It will only raise the BG levels and mess things up.
    Your options are to tell the vet you have tried those foods and your kitty won’t eat them....she can’t argue with that.
    Or tell her they are too high carb and you won’t swap over to a high carb food....I know this is hard to do but you are your kitty’s advocate and the only one who can stand up for what is best for him. Say you have researched it thoroughly and low carb food is recommended........otherwise why would high carb food be used to bring the BG up when the BG drops low.
    Can you email her? That is often easier than talking face to face. You can think about what to write and just tell her you are not interested in changing foods as you have that part of the treatment sorted and it works. What you want to do is change over to Lantus or Prozinc...whatever is your choice.
    Or you can find another vet to swap over to a more suitable insulin (which is a very good idea) and say up front you will not change over from a low carb diet.
    Remember you are paying her to help you ......you don’t have to pay her and keep getting bad advice.
    Let us know how you get on.

Marina & Chico and LisaAF like this.
  3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

LisaAF and Bron and Sheba (GA) like this.
  4. LisaAF

LisaAF New Member

Thank you. I will definitely start testing at bedtime.

It’s funny, they referred me to the Feline Diabetes website, yet contradicted what is recommended. I will definitely speak up. It didn’t make any sense to me. I appreciate your response.

Deb & Wink and Marina & Chico like this.
  5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

You are welcome. Good luck. I like the articles Deb posted as well.
    Lantus and Prozinc are much better insulins for cats and have longer durations. I used Lantus and Levemir.

Deb & Wink likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.