Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FelixMomRachael

FelixMomRachael Member

Trying to find vet that recommends Lantus in San Bernardino, California. So far they only rec Vetsulin which is not working. It leaves Felix high at the ends of his cycles and it's like starting over everyday. Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You've asked them if you can switch and they refuse?

3. JanetNJ

I just looked at your SS... wow, you weren't kidding that he's high. You've been on the 3 u dose for a while. It'd up it to 3.5 I definitely think a longer acting insulin would be a good idea. Prozinc or lantus.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. FelixMomRachael

FelixMomRachael Member

Yep, they refuse to switch. This was the vet's reply.

Attached Files:

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I'm still gobsmacked at the tone of that reply.

:bighug:

Mogs

6. JanetNJ

Wow Dr. Rickey is an ass. Yes, New vet immediately. And what an awful suggestion for food. Opposite of what the cat needs. Nasty nasty. That letter needs to go all over yelp and Facebook. I bet someone on your local city facebook page would have a vet recommendation.

7. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Just reading that made me see red, what a horrible horrible person. I wouldn't be shy giving him a piece of my mind.

Tagging @Aleluia Grugru & Minnie , I know she is in LA, not sure how close she is to you, she might know of some other CA members with recommendations.

8. Beanie071

Beanie071 New Member

New vet asap for sure! I have had two vets on Hurley's case and I went for a second opinion because the vet I was seeing honestly told me this case was over her head and she had no experience in a case this complicated, and when I told her I was thinking about it she encouraged me to get a second opinion and even a third if it was what was right for Hurley. She also said no matter what I did she wanted an update because she actually cares for Hurley.When your at home monitoring your cat and can tell his moods and physical health, your vet should be welcoming your input! Maybe I am just lucky, but that response was totally unnecessary.

Critter Mom and JanetNJ like this.
  9. Ali

Ali New Member

You would do better to find another vet. His response to you is unacceptable, rude. If your personal doctor treated you like this would you stay with him or get a second opinion? Something to think about. He sounds like he doesn’t like being second guessed.

10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Given that your hopefully soon to be former vet is recommending an insulin that is not supported for use in cats by the American Animal Hospital Assn, it's pretty amazing that he's taking that tone.

I would see if you can find a cat specific vet. This is a link to the American Assn of Feline Practitioners. They certify cat friendly practices.

You may also want to note where you're located in the subject line.

THH & Snowcrash (GA) likes this.
  11. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

@THH found The Cat Care Clinic, they are located within 50 miles of San Bernardino. They even link to our website for diabetes help!

Please post that email on Google Reviews, I would sure as anything appreciate seeing that if I were considering them at all.

THH & Snowcrash (GA) likes this.
  12. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

THH & Snowcrash (GA) Member

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

That email is abhorrent. Page 8 of the 2018 AAHA Diabetic Guidelines btw has a section about diet that specifically says high-fiber diets aren't typically recommended for diabetic cats. Though the guidelines also don't recommend Vetsulin, so clearly this vet is just uninformed and doesn't like a client realizing that.....

Critter Mom likes this.
  13. FelixMomRachael

FelixMomRachael Member

Thank you everybody, you have given me hope. I have made an appointment at the Riverside Cat Hospital.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.