? Very Weak but not Hypo | advice needed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bruce Wayne, Feb 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne Member

Bruce has been so tired and weak. His hind legs are very shaky and he is so much more reclusive than he has ever been. I have been thinking that I have been overdosing and he is having a hypo episode , but tonight it happened again for the third night in a row
    - tired
    - hiding
    - limp or weak
    - so thirsty

but his BG number was 346. I don’t understand. He showing me signs of too much insulin but in reality his BG is still too high. Does anyone know what I can do to mitigate this ? Do you think this implies he is having complications ?

2. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

Hi Lauren,
    I am guessing he is running too high. Are you keeping a spreadsheet? Plenty of experienced people here might give you some advice on dose if you have data.
    When Hercules was initially diagnosed, the vet just told me to keep an eye on him for sign of a hypo. I wasn't sure what those were, and did a lot of a research and I came to the conclusion that I wasn't sure I could tell them apart. That is how I ended up in this forum, and became a test addict. Sometimes, I like to think I can tell by Hercs begaviour that he is going too low, or too high, but I am still wrong 30% of the time....
    That all being said, the list of symptoms you gave are more associated with Hyper, than Hypo. When in the cycle did you see 346 (which is quite high, by the way)?

3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

He may have an infection. You need to take him to the vet as soon as possible.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you tested him for ketones?
    Buy a bottle of Ketostix from Walmart or a pharmacy and test the urine. Dip the test strip into the urines and read the result exactly 15 seconds later against the colours on the side of the bottle. Anything above a trace needs vet attention.

He could have some diabetic neuropathy from the high numbers he has been in for a few months. Methyl B12 will help with that as well as getting your kitty into bette numbers. Zobaline from life link.com is one brand of the methyl B 12. You can’t get it at a vets.
    I see in your last post another insulin was suggested. I think that is a good idea as Lantus is a longer lasting insulin and is more suitable for cats.

Bruce could be dropping low at times and then bouncing up high after the low number. Unless you are testing before every shot and again during the cycle you won’t know if he is dropping low at times. If he is dropping low he will be shaky and weak.
    If you can get a spreadsheet up and running and start testing we can help you.
    From your previous post you are giving 3 to 4 units of Vetsulin which is a large dose. I would Reduce the dose until you can be sure he is not dropping low and then bouncing up high. I think you could be seeing him dropping low...showing signs of a hypo and then he is bouncing up high from the low numbers
    Make sure you test for ketones.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne Member

Thank you all for the reply!
    I have a vet appointment for tomorrow morning at 0900. I am thinking he has an infection and neuropathy, from my research. I am still really new to testing bg. Last night was my first time ever doing it. I am by myself, so it is really hard to make him stay still and also get the blood. Any recommendations for that? I plan to do my first 24 hour curve Fri-Sat so that I can start my spreadsheet.
    It is all so overwhelming. I wish he could talk. :(

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne Member

The BG numbers I posted to my first post, came from his prior vet visits and they were usually approx 5 hours after his meal and insulin. I feel like my vet has given me no information. I am so lucky to have found your site.

7. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

One thing that helps make testing easier is to make it something he associates with being good. Every time you test, reward him with a low carb treat, even when you are not successful. Freeze dried chicken or bonito flakes are good treats. Also, you need to make sure you are also not projecting your nervousness to him. Cats can pick up on our feelings and if you are nervous, he will become nervous also. It sounds silly, but sing to him while testing. The sillier the song, the better. It is hard to be nervous when you are doing something silly. :joyful:

8. Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne Member

9. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

You could start by choosing a spot where you will test him, and bring him there touch his ears a lot, and give him a treat. Just so he gets used to the routine. Warm ears make the blood fast easier, so some people use a sock full of rice that they warm in the microwave. Hercs is easy so I have not done that, but if you want to try you could add to rour routine, even without testing. These days both of my cats (one which is not diabetic) always comes when I cal - tesst! because they know they will get a treat. Perhpas that works with bruce?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Behaviour training video on giving injections, but the same techniques can be adapted for home testing:

Video of a cat successfully treated for diabetic neuropathy:

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.