Using Buprenex pain med for Scooter

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harley and Pattie, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

Took Harley's brother Scooter into the vet last night. He has had a decrease in appetite, sleeping more, and crouching (like he is in pain). Vet felt it was a flair up of his irritable bowl problem and gave me buprenex (a liquid) to use. The instructions were to apply it slowly to his gum line.

Well, Scooter is a squirmer - and won't hold still long enough for me to get the syringe up to the gum line and once there, it slipped to his mouth. Can anyone give me advice as to how to give this stuff successfully?

Pattie and Harley

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Ask your vet about giving it via injection. The bupe is oral or injectible. Tell them how hard it is to administer since it must go between the gum and cheek to absorb properly and remind them that you are used to needles.

Tucker takes his via injection.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I just squirt it in the check pouch. It is absorbed by the mucous membrane so you do not want to squirt it down the throat. The Buprenex is probably supplied to the vet as a sterile injection solution that can also be used orally. However, it the vet meant it for oral use they might not have maintained the sterility necessary for injection.

4. Harley and Pattie

I tried to give the buprenex to Scooter and it was a disaster. He is now afraid to come close to me and it is eating me up! It is a huge amount of liquid and ended up all over the place. Tonight, I will try and do it in his cheek - may go better than trying to get up up the gum line.

Pattie

5. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

What dose did your vet recommend?

I'm asking since you said "huge amount of liquid."

When Tucker was 19 pounds his dose was only 0.3ml, a small amount, Bupe is not usually a large amount. I'm not a vet or expert, though.

6. Harley and Pattie

ok, might be over dramatic to say a "huge" amount. it is only 0.325ml but seemed more when it got all over me instead of in the cat. The problem is - it's on me, not in the cat and he still looks like he is in pain. In the cheek pocket may go better and the next dose is tonight.

Pattie

7. Harley and Pattie

Thanks to everyone. I called the vet and got needles to go on the syringe. Tonight - shot went like a dream.

Pattie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.