Update on transition from dry to wet :(

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MaryB, May 3, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaryB

MaryB Member

I’m trying to make my whole house wet food only - it’s too difficult with a diabetic in the house and of course I understand now that dry is unhealthy for the other non diabetic too.
    The problem I’m having - perhaps I did it too fast? They’re not eating much… and I fear they’re losing too fast. I can see some of the back end weight loss, which I don’t think is good right? That’s a malnutrition sign?
    Should I add dry back in and gradually do this, they act hungry but then only eat a little of the wet :( I’m upset and afraid I’m starving them or something.
    Please help if you’ve experienced.

2. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

Hendrick Cuddleclaw Well-Known Member

Hi Mary yes we have experienced this as well we switched the whole six-cat household to wet food, when they used to be able to just free feed and graze on dry kibble that was in auto-feeders.

With one kitty in particular the weight loss was a bit faster than we felt was safe so we have been working hard to carefully calculate how many calories the kitties are getting and supplement with extra freeze-dried raw, different kinds of wet food that they eat better, etc. For example the FF gravy lovers, I can't feed that to Hendrick (well I did once or twice when he was in the 40s) but for the other cats, I mix in freeze-dried raw and it makes it very calorie dense.

Also, you could think about still feeding a little dry, slowly wean them off of it over time -- and in particular if you feed something like Wysong Epigen it is super calorie-dense, I think like 150 calories in a quarter cup? So you can really easily boost up a cat's caloric intake for the day with just a little bit of that kibble.

MaryB likes this.
  3. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

Hendrick Cuddleclaw Well-Known Member

4. MaryB

MaryB Member

That’s exactly what seems to be happening! One is losing too fast and one really doesn’t need to lose much.
    I read her article. Thank you! I ordered some freeze dried raw too. I’ll be making some chicken breast this evening. I think they’re wanting that crunchy texture. I’m not familiar with that dry food at all but I’ve read it a lot here. I will have to look into it.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Ziwipeak also makes some low carb air dried food that has crunch.

MaryB likes this.
  6. MaryB

MaryB Member

Thank you! I’ve never heard of that one! I’ll look it up :)

7. Lando demando

Lando demando Well-Known Member

Hi Mary,
    I d
    Hi Mary!
    I dont want to give advice that steers you in the wrong direction, but i wanted to tell you my experience with the dry/wet rollercoaster in case any if the info helped!
    My diabetic ( Lando) loooves his kibble. Despite me trying to transition him to wet completely, he resists. I also have two other cats with kidney disease who eat different food. Also one of my CKD cats is loosing weight, while Lando is 18 lbs ;)

Lando eats 4-5 xs a day. At the am and pm meal i put Sheba or FF pate in front of him first. After he eats as much as he wants, i feed a portion of Dr Elseys high protien, low carb kibble. Lando did not like ziwi peak nor young again kibble.

its possible that his kibble habit has kept him from going into remission, but this has been working for us since the beginning of the year.

I felt the pressure to transition to all wet as well, but in the end, a compromise made more sense.

good luck and sending encouragement your way!!

MaryB likes this.
  8. MaryB

MaryB Member

thanks so much for letting me know this!
    I do feel encouraged. My non diabetic is 19 lbs and he is on his way to bring diabetic I know as much as he eats… he started having issues grooming his rear area he is so big :( so he has to lose. He is an addict for dry food.
    I did end up getting a little and mixing about 15 pieces with the canned and he will eat most of the wet not all, he’s a stinker. Haha!
    I am not familiar with Dr Elseys I will have to look it up. I even cooked some chicken breast for him and he barely ate that.
    thanks again for your kind words!!

Lando demando likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.