? Ubiquinol / Co-enzyme Q10: Anyone with Experience of Giving These Supplements?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Critter Mom, Jan 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Saoirse has early stage II CKD. After hearing about Astro's CRF Oil omega supplement on Tanya's Site I ordered some for Saoirse to try but she doesn't like the taste and it hurts her tummy.

I also heard about Moxxor omega 3/antioxidant supplement from the Tanya's Site support group. The source is green-lipped mussel and it comes in very small gel caps. I am pleased to report that they are easy for Saoirse to swallow and they don't upset Saoirse's digestive system. (Yay!) Her coat has shown some improvement but it still needs help.

I looked at the constituents of Astro's CRF Oil and it also contains ubiquinol., a more bioavailable, reduced form of coenzyme Q10. I am wondering whether addition of ubiquinol alongside the Moxxor in Saoirse's supplement regimen might go some way towards mimicking the effects of Astro's CRF Oil. (Dr Mercola's Ubiquinol is available in the UK. Product video here. Well worth a watch. They claim it is good for older pets, and that it is good for heart and oral health among other things.)

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has given ubiquinol as a supplement and what benefits, if any, that their kitty derived from it. Also given Saoirse's pancreatitis issues , any caveats about side effects or contraindications you may be aware of would be most welcome.

(For information, I used to first consult my vets about supplements and complementary therapies I was interested in trialling with Saoirse but alas! experience has taught me that to do so is an exercise in futility, and I need to do the research donkey work meself. :rolleyes: Our vets are good, but there are often times when I wish they were a holistic practice.)

Mogs

2. Anitafrnhamer

Anitafrnhamer Member

I give Squeaker a blended form of CoEnzyme with added B12 (holistic vet), what I use is very similar to the Heel Complex. I've never had any issues with tummy upset or aggravation of pancreatitis.

Caveats:
    1. May lower BG so be aware of that with diabetic cats.
    2. Once you begin giving it you cannot stop abrubtly.

Here is the link from Tanya's about it, scroll down about 3/4 of the page: http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments_waste_products_regulation.htm

3. Critter Mom

@Anitafrnhamer -

Thank you for your reply, Anita, and for sharing your experience with CoQ10. Also, thank you for the pointer to Heel Complex. I'm (very) gradually wading through Tanya's Site but I hadn't come across that yet.

I give Saoirse a little B12. I've seen warnings about it on Tanya's site, so I'm being cautious about it. What dose do you give?

Mogs

4. Anitafrnhamer

Anitafrnhamer Member

Mine is a compounded version made by the vet, dosage is 1/4 dropper BID.

5. Critter Mom

Thanks for coming back, Anita.

I've got Zobaline 3mg tablets for Saoirse. I give her 1 tablet over 3 days. I add it to her SAMe/milk thistle supplement; from what I've read the B12 can assist absortpion of SAMe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.