? U40 vs U100 Syringes

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Robert Vittetoe, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Robert Vittetoe

Robert Vittetoe Member

So far with Pinot’s test results there may be a chance we can initial control this with the diet change. I’m going to continue testing through Sunday to complete the 14 day testing cycle. I’m trying to prepare myself to administer insulin if needed. We are using Prozinc with the U40 syringes. From looking at the forum I get the idea that using prozinc with U100 syringes will allow for easier fine tuning of doses? I know it will be very important to use the conversion chart. When adjusting doses I read a lot about adjusting by .25 units but the conversion chart is in .2 units. My gut tells me if we go back to needing insulin to use the prozinc insulin with the U100 syringes with 1/2 unit markings and adjust by .2 units based on advice. This will prevent me from trying to eyeball a dose. Does any of this make sense?

Jenna Josie likes this.
  2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Yes, it all makes sense. And yes, with the u100's you adjust by either 0.1u or 0.2u. The 0.1u adjustments are just half way between the lines. A pair of reading glasses help, even if you don't normally need them, because the lines are already small, so splitting between two can cause a bit of squinting. ;)

I'm so glad Pinot decided to cooperate with you for the testing, and also that diet has been enough to get him back on track. Fingers crossed that with a carefully controlled diet, he'll never need insulin again! :cat::cat::cat:

3. Robert Vittetoe

Robert Vittetoe Member

I’m very thankful for all the advice and encouragement from everyone here!

Djamila likes this.
  4. cleanprophet

cleanprophet Member

I'm a bit confused about the u40 and u100 thing. My prozinc is u40 and the vets gave me u100 syringes. Poppy started on 1 unit and the vet said that 1 unit was the second marker on the syringe (first marker right at the base and the second marker effectively making u2 on a u100 syringe - therefore the number 10 on that u100 syringe is equal to 5 units? Is that correct?).

5. Robert Vittetoe

Robert Vittetoe Member

6. Peacock

Peacock Member

Cleanprophet-

First, did your vet know he gave you u100 syringes? The shelter we got our cat from did not realize the difference, so there was miscommunication about Peacock's prescription and her actual dose. This led to the vet office injecting a dose 2.5 times higher than Peacock was used to during a vet visit, creating a very dangerous mix up.

If the vet does know, what is the true prescribed dose? The 1 unit mark on a u100 syringe is the equivalent of 0.4 units of u40 insulin. If on the other hand you are giving 1 unit of u40 insulin, that corresponds to 2.5 units on a u100 syringe. I use u100 syringes, but always refer to the dose in u40 terms for clarity. I record both the u40 dose and u100 measurement on my spreadsheet.

If I am interpreting your vet correctly, he was probably referring to the first mark as zero and the second mark as 1. The rest of the numbers should follow, with 10 being 10 u100 units. To complicate it a bit more, if you have half unit marks on your syringes, those are generally to the left of the whole unit markers.

Please let me know if you have any questions. When using different syringes it is important to be super clear about dosing and to double and triple check.