U100 syringes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gill & Mac (UK), Sep 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Hi
    I've just tried a U10O syringe rather than U4O for the first time. And (apart from checking my conversion about 15 times - I know I'm a worrier!) I am sure it saved a fur shot when he was really twitchy again.
    Despite having seen photos of the syringes I was amazed at the difference between the 2 different needles in lengths and fineness.
    Now this is probably a stupid question (worrier here remember!) But is there any danger that the 8mm needle will not reach to under the skin if I fail to get it 100% flat to the skin?
    Thanks
    Gill

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Ive never heard it be a problem .

Gill & Mac (UK) likes this.
  3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I doubt that it would be a problem. Did you happen to check to see if you could get the same gauge needle with the U40 vs U100 syringes. Needle thickness (gauge) are available for both syringes.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  4. Sue & Emma

Sue & Emma Member

I am very curious about this too. Vet won't provide U100 syringes and I might be headed towards .25 shot. That would be alot of guess work with a U40. And that needle is soooo long. I salute you Gill, I would be rechecking that conversion chart over and over and over. It's one reason I'm afraid to make the change.

5. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Hi @Sienne and Gabby (GA)
    I don't know if it is different in the USA but here in the UK all U40 syringes that I have seen come in the 1/2 inch 12.7mm length, no other options unfortunately.
    The U100 8mm us a much better length - the only downside for me is that the distance between the 0.5 marks is much closer so getting it filled to 2.5 can take a couple of fiddling arounds. If the vet decides to increase us to 1.5 units then he will have to pick either 1.4 (3.5 on the u100) or 1.6 (4) as there is no way I'm trying to hit the 3.75 mark in order do 1.5 units !:)

Gill

6. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Hi @Sue & Emma
    I resisted for a while as well through worry about messing the conversion up.
    I have it written on a piece of paper kept with the syringes
    "is on 1 unit U40 = red = 1. U100=orange = 2.5 ". And I made hubby check the paper that I'd got it right - just stopped short of making him sign it in blood in triplicate as checked though. I also made him check I was filling the syringe to the right line - I am using +2 strength cheap over the counter reading glasses for syringe filling purposes - used them for the U40s but I need them even more for the U100s cos the marks are such much closer together. Bit it is worth it as i think it has saved me from 2 fur shots already. Although as I say in my reply to Sienne I would really struggle to hit any mark that wasn't a half or whole number on the U100 but perhaps its my eyes !
    Gill

7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

8. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow I have a couple of those! Used them for negatives. lol

9. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

I'm glad you're giving the U100s a try, Gill, and I do hope you find them easier than the U40s.

I have poor close vision and so for years now have used a magnifier on a stand to measure insulin doses (just the same one I use for my art work), and this has been brilliant, even letting me measure absolutely minute doses quite easily. My stand looks a bit like this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnifier-...ier stand&qid=1600181182&sr=8-17&tag=mh0a9-21

10. Pabs&Ro

Pabs&Ro Member

We have gone onto U100 needles now (for prozinc) and they have made a massive difference. Pabay no longer cries when I inject him and I can give a much more accurate dose. I like the fact that it is not possible to go too deep. Great recommendation. :):):)

11. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Yes a definite thanks to everyone who recommended it to me on my previous plea for injection tips post ! I am so glad I eventually made the move .

Gill

12. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

You may laugh Mogs but I have been known to wear my usual cheap 1.25 reading pair AND my 2.0 insulin in order to read the cooking instructions on some frozen food - who decided that small black text on a red background was a good idea ? !!! And as for the details of what reading the control solution should produce that is printed on the alphatrak test strip pot - I had to take a photo of that so I could expand to read it even though my eyesight is ok and I only use 1.25 glasses for pc work & reading when my eyes are tired !

OK (hops off her soap box) - I like the idea of the jewellers loupe - I will have to have a look on Amazon. Thanks for the tip,

Gill

13. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Hi Elizabeth
    Yes fingers crossed they seem much better. Thanks for the tip about the stand that may be another thing for me to try.

Gill

14. Critter Mom

Not sure whether you missed it but I posted an a link to the eBay listing above. It's the one that I have and it's cheap as chips. What I like about it is that it's not fiddly to hold and you can steady the syringe barrel against the plastic base, making it a bit easier to read the syringe markings and see the plunger position.

Mogs

15. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Hi yes thanks Mogs - I can't use ebay though as I don't have paypal so amazon it is,
    Gill

16. Critter Mom

I don't have Paypal. I pay for eBay purchases by card, same as Amazon.

Mogs

17. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Shows how long it is since I looked at ebay Mogs - thanks for that - I'll be ordering that asap. with @Elizabeth and Bertie magnifying stand as the next idea though Mac would delight in knocking that over.

Gill

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.