Tucker dosing thread 5

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by LoveforTucker, Aug 19, 2020.

1. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Hi Tucker! Thanks for the new thread.

Wanted to make sure I replied, so I'll get alerts with new replies.

Any way for you to get a consistent +2 test in the evening (PM) cycle? Or even one a bit later? I'm thinking that Tucker is dropping lower at night, and then bouncing high in the morning.

LoveforTucker likes this.
  3. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Hi! Youre welcome, thanks for the reminder. I try to keep my eye on the reply count. You're absolutely right. I haven't been very good at testing in the pm cycle. I def need to be better at that. This week has been absolute chaos as work. We were so busy yesterday and short staffed. I got home last night and just wanted to go to bed. I will get some extra tests tonight!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  4. Deb & Wink

Life does happen, doesn't? Interfering with the best of intentions.

Taking care of my friends place and garden plus my own has been a bit of a strain.
    Went grocery shopping yesterday during "senior hours" to stock up on stuff my quick visits had not accomplished. There simply had not been enough time after taking care of my friends gardens to do as much grocery shopping as I needed or wanted to do. I still haven't got everything I need. But that's for another day.

Exhausted? Welcome to the club. Pour me into bed at night, after a quick 2 minute shower to wash off the bug spray has been my routine for the last 3-4 weeks.

5. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Yes! It does happen! Wow.. You're so nice for helping those around you, plus, all of us on FDMB! You are appreciated! We are ramping up on our busy season now. 4th quarter. Everyone is rushing in because their deductibles are now reached. Which is good for business.. bad on my feet and brain. lol
    Oh my goodness!
    Is your friend ok? Its good of you to offer your gardening expertise!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  6. Deb & Wink

I see that Tucker is still in the yellows and pinks.
    You may need to increase the dose back to 1U again soon.
    Working this weekend?
    If not, a bit more testing would be greatly appreciated.

Need to see some blues and greens again on Tucker's SS.

She's fine, off sailing for a month, along the coast of Maine. Her husband retired July 1st so they set sail early this year.
    Been taking care of her garden for years, while she is off sailing.
    We share plants, and she is as good or a better gardener than I am!

Of course, it doesn't help that we are in an extended drought here this spring and summer. Makes keeping up with watering a challenge. It was worse the year she and a friend went to Portugal and we had a heat wave! I was watering 3 gardens then.

p.s. Anyone else having horrible response from the message board?

7. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Yes, more blues and greens please! I am off today thru Tues. I'll be able to get a lot more tests when I'm not working thank goodness!
    I already did his test and shot this morning before I saw your message. amps 311 0.75u. I'll increase tonight to 1u.
    Off sailing!! Wow.. that would be nice! I cant wait to have a better vegetable garden! We just need more land and a bit more privacy.
    Same here!! Normally this time of year we have a lot of thunderstorms. Not so much this year.. Dear 2020, what else are you going to throw us?
    OH my goodness.. Youre such a great friend/neighbor!
    Its the internet!! At work it was terrible. The connection was terrible! I heard we are having a lot of solar flares which could indeed mess with the satellite connectivity.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  8. Deb & Wink

Up to 1U for tonight's dose, 8/22/20 I see per your SS. Good for you on doing that dose increase. Tucker needs "more juice", insulin being the juice.

9. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Yes ma'am!! Thank you!
    AMPS 188 restest 244. I almost gave a token dose. I decided to double check and it bounced up to 244. I'm wondering if my Relion prime is really that reliable.. har har.. get it. :rolleyes: Anyways. Fed 1/2 can FF. Will recheck BG at +2.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  10. Deb & Wink

Yes. the Relion Prime meters have a bit more variance than some meters.
    But you can't beat the low cost of the test strips.
    That alone makes it worth it, and allows you to get a second test, for the price of 1 strip in some of the other meters.
    Alphatrak strips run $1-2 each, so you can test a whole bunch of times with the Relion Prime for the cost of 1 Alphatrak test strip.

Budgets, they hit us all in what we have to prioritize and can afford.

Remember the 15 to 20% meter variance that meters are allowed to have?
    188 + 15% = 216
    188 + 20% = 225
    188 - 15% = 160
    188 - 20% = 150

Meaning those numbers are basically the same. Within the same 15 to 20% meter variance.
    It's why there are color coded ranges at the very top of the SS. Take a look sometime.

11. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Wow.. If someone wasn't aware of that variance it could really throw them off. With the 188 yesterday and the 244 retest, that was a 30% change. It just seemed a big variance to me.. but your right, the cost is great! Those color codes on the SS really helps.
    OH MY GOSH!! That's insane!! Just because its specifically for an animal makes it ok the have an increase in price. But... the little paw on the test strip is pretty cute! :D

I wasn't able to get tests in mid cycle yesterday, just a +2. I haven't seen my son in a couple months. We went out to lunch yesterday and golfed for a couple of hours.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  12. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Looking forward to this weekend! Actually, my thread is getting drowned by all the new threads.. Just needing a bump :)

Deb & Wink and Shelley & Jess like this.
  13. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

lots of reds and yellows this week. @Deb & Wink, Do you think we need to increase to 1.25?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  14. Deb & Wink

Yes, looks like Tucker could use that increase you suggest.
    You want to get him out of those pinks and yellows.
    More blues and greens, to give his pancreas time to heal.

15. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Great! Thank you. I increased him to 1.25 tonight.

16. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

AMPS 259 1.25u

17. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Tucker sure is throwing me crazy numbers again... I'm getting a little down about my progress with him. My fault. Mid August, I shouldnt have reduced him to 0.5u until I tried the 0.75.. UGH!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  18. Deb & Wink

Keeping our paws crossed, that Tucker does better after a few cycles on the increased insulin dose.

Shelley & Jess and LoveforTucker like this.
  19. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

I hope so!

20. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

AMPS 336 1.25u. I went over to the 'Tucker Cabinet" last night, he jumped up on the counter and squatted down ready to test. I didn't even have to get the bribe out! LOL These moments make me proud!

21. Deb & Wink

Yeah Tucker!

Cats can be trained, to come for those treats (aka "Bribes") and learn to come to their testing spot.
    It's called behavior modification or conditional behavior modification.
    Condition 1, is the "bribe", condition 2 is the test, then another "bribe" if needed.

Those "bribes" can be food, petting, brushing or something else your cat really likes.

I think that Tucker is going to need another dose increase soon. The 1.25U dose doesn't seem to be enough for him.

22. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

That's so cool! I guess with all the kitties I've had, I never thought to train them to do anything. I just wanted them to be cute and they really understood that concept LMBO.:p
    Yes ma'am! I'll increase tonight. I just gave him his shot amps 367 1.25u.
    I have FIVE day weekend!! WOOT! I took Thurs and Fri off. I'm back to work on Tuesday.

Deb, do you have any plans for the holiday weekend? I think I"m going to finally turn down my plantar garden. At least my tomatoes. My peppers and onions are still doing their thing. I have three different varieties of Dahlia bulbs that I need to plant too, I just cant find a spot to put them.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  23. Deb & Wink

Let's hope the dose increase does Tucker some good.
    I'm sure you'll be happy to have 5 days off, to spend as you like. Tucker will be a good boy and let you do some things, right Tucker?

Deb will be gardening all weekend long. Still digging holes for the fall planted bulbs I ordered. I'm a homebody anyway, so being at home earlier in the spring during lockdown or spending more time at home is fine with me. I'd rather keep my self safe, and only go grocery shopping about 4-6 weeks. Before covid19, I only went for groceries about every 3 weeks, since I HATE shopping.

Dahlias are not frost hardy here in New England. We have to dig the tubers up before the ground freezes and try to overwinter them in moist sand. Or plant them as annuals. Dahlias are only winter hardy in zones 8-11 and since I'm in zone 5 or 6, depending on the harshness of the winter, I don't plant dahlias here.

24. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

I hope the increase will help too. I know it takes some time to regulate. I need to wear those patience pants you mentioned once a time ago.. do you think they sell them on Amazon?? LOL !
    I'm just happy to be off! We're approaching our 4th quarter busy season at work. With my injured hip, its really painful to have to be on my feet running the halls for 9 hours.
    On Friday my friend Debbie will be back in town to tend to her honey bees. They have a "little house' as they call it, with fruit trees, clover fields and bee hives. Her husband is a Dr, he took a job 5 hours away from here.. Luckily she still comes back for frequent stays. So I'm going to her place to help dig around and play with her pups and the bees.
    OH NO! I'm in zones 5-6a as well.. I bought these bulbs at Tuesday Morning. I guess I should have read the box. They grow in zones 8-9. Oh well.. The box was only $2. I guess I'll just plant them in the spring when it warms up and hope they grow ok for some summer pretties!

25. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

AMPS 302 1.50 u.

26. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

Those blacks yesterday are a bit of a surprise. Whatcha up to Tucker??

LoveforTucker and Deb & Wink like this.
  27. Deb & Wink

Board issues yesterday, couldn't sign on at all on Thursday.

LoveforTucker and Shelley & Jess like this.
  28. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

They threw me off too! This past month has been hard getting him into the greens and blues.

Shelley & Jess and Deb & Wink like this.
  29. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Tucker has hit his 3 month mark with FD. He sure is perfecting his sugar dance :rolleyes:

30. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

amps 291 1.5u. Four days on current 1.5 u. @Deb & Wink I'm thinking he needs an increase of insulin? What do you think.. Lots of high numbers these last few days and weeks.

31. Deb & Wink

If Tucker isn't low at PM pre-shot test, I'd bump up the dose again by 0.25U.
    So the new dose would be 1.75U.

Are you able to get a few tests in the PM cycle? Like that all important +2? And maybe another one after that.

32. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Yes! I'll get more tests in. Pmps 306 1.75. +2 280

33. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Pmps +4 106

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  34. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

pmps +5 91

35. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Ok.. 91 bg last night. That was a surprise! So back down to 1.5u this am.
    Amps 415 1.5u

Deb & Wink likes this.
  36. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

@Shelley & Jess I just saw where you lived! I LOVE Canada! My cousin used to live in Toronto. He played for the Blue Jays a while back.

37. Deb & Wink

Just because Tucker got into the green BG ranges, doesn't mean you need to decrease the dose.
    Although, that 91 was awfully close to the reduction point of 90 for the SLGS dosing protocol.

No problem with reducing. You know your life and responsibilities so much better than we do.

Did you need to feed Tucker, to bring his BG levels back up last night 9/6/20? No notes on the SS, in the Remarks column to say what you did for those lower BG levels. Those notes can be helpful to you to, so you can look back and see what worked before for lower BG levels.

With the bounce to the red BG's at AM pre-shot on 9/7/20, you would probably have been just fine to keep the higher dose. Something to think about for next time.

38. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Last time he dropped to 91 BG , you said to decrease the dose. Right?? Early August. Idk.. this is confusing to me as there's no hard rules.. kwim? It was close to the 90.. just one point off.. I should have kept him at 1.75. I'll keep that dose for the am 9/8. I figured since he bounced so high it was due to the drop. I didn't feed him after I saw the 91. I just tested a while later instead. I'll keep notes on his ss from now on. Thank you!!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  39. Deb & Wink

Yes, I probably would have done the dose reduction for my own cat too. 90, 91, 92 are so close to the reduction point, that it's ok to reduce.
    You'll get a feel for when Tucker needs that reduction and when you can keep the dose increase.

There are no hard and fast rules. The general dosing protocol guidelines are a good place to start, but then you tailor them for your cat and your situation.

Tucker definitely DID bounce from those blues and greens last night, 9/6/20.
    Our crystal balls don't always work, to tell us which direction the BG levels will head.
    But red or black BG levels at pre-shot usually do say a bounce occurred, and you should/could keep the current dose going if possible.

Yeah, I know, confusing as all get out.

40. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

No hard and fast rules no doubt o_O but ECID. Since I was off yesterday 9/7 I should have kept him at 1.75, that way I could have tested mid cycle. I'm back to my 4 day work week now. I have the SLGS protocol posted on my cabinet, along with the Hypo kit guide as well.. for reference if needed.
    Current meaning the 1.5u? :)
    LOL Sure is!!
    So true!! Anything in terms of healthcare and medicine dosing is a custom deal. I definitely can play more with the dosing on my 3 day weekends. I should have another long weekend coming up beginning of November. (Trying to use up the rest of my Paid time off before the end of the year)
    Thank you for being here for me during all this!! You're very much appreciated!!

41. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

I have a branch of cousins in the USA. Their father played professional hockey many, many moons ago and one of my cousins literally just moved back to Canada around the corner from us after 50+ years cuz they love it so much too!

I betcha my mom would know your Toronto Blue Jays cousin. She's a SERIOUS fan and lover of all things baseball....I grew up on a ball diamond, I can never remember a time when she didn't coach, play, convene or umpire. She's 77 this fall and up until covid still played in senior softball leagues - outdoor summer league and indoor winter league.

And, I've been wanting to ask, are you in any crochet groups? Reason I ask, my sister crochets (gramma taught her 40+ years ago) and I showed her Tucker's profile pic to see if she recognized it. She thought she might because your afghan is done different than most of the granny square ones she's seen. I never picked up crochet but I love to stitch, sew & embroider. I can spend hours just stitching away. It works out well - I get to sew together a lot of my sisters projects. We've been getting a lot of requests for these little guys. I love working on them, they just make me smile and I'm in my stitching glory! :)

Noah Square Bear.jpg

42. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

His name is John Olerud. He retired back in 2005-ish? I think he retired after he played for the Yankees.. IDK.. Time is so weird LOL! I spent every summer at/around a baseball diamond as well! Wow.. your mom is amazing!! How cool that she is still so active!
    Aww! Thank you for showing Tuckers couch! I'm not part of any crochet groups. I have a store on Etsy, but, most of my sales are in person sales, or by friends and co workers, neighbors etc. I don't do a lot of granny square items. I have before in the past, but I mostly enjoy working the project in a solid block, if that makes any sense. LOL
    You're so good at stitching!! That little guy is adorable! Did you sister make him? He's so cute!! I'm not the best at stitching or embroidering.. I've dabbled with some surface crochet embroider but, it takes me a while to get it down right.
    Are you or your sister part of any groups?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  43. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

The stitch I used for tuckers afghan is call the Kitty Cat crochet stitch, if you look close the stitches look like kitties :cat:

44. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Pmps 264 1.5u

45. Deb & Wink

Bouncing and now back to a more "normal" BG level for Tucker.

46. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

Oh my goodness - one of moms all time favorites!
    Sher too, but still lots of other stuff that I get to sew :)
    She crochets all the pieces and I get to put 'em together. :joyful:
    She's on Ravelry (FB for knitters and crocheters for lack of a better term) and a few other FB groups.
    LOL - Sher picked up on the different stitch right away!

47. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

446 this morning. Le sigh.. I had intended to get more tests in last night after his shot. My hip is bothering me a lot.. the other night I probably had a couple hours of sleep due to the pain, then yesterday at work I ran my tush off. I got home and crashed around 730pm.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  48. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Really!! Johnny is such a sweet man! His daughter Jordan passed way in March of this year, she was 18 and had special needs. They have an organization dedicated to her!
    Yay for you!! LOL! Lately I've been getting a lot of orders for Amigurumi things, like the baby Yoda, Pokemon and things like that. Sewing on the heads and arms feet etc. I recently just made a baby outfit for a customer, Harry potter sorting hat with the gryffindor scarf and diaper cover. Its been slow this year with orders but its finally picking up again!
    HA!!! OF course she did! I thought that afghan would be super appropriate for his kitty couch :joyful:
    I dont have FB anymore.. I'll have to see if I can find her goodies on Ravelry!

49. Deb & Wink

Hurting bad enough for a steroid shot? Although, those shots hurt almost as much as the hip bursitis I had a few years ago. Now I do hip stretching and strengthening exercises and keep flexible by gardening so much. Makes the sciatica better too.

50. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Geez, Its getting there! I think I might have a torn Labrum. The symptoms I'm having match the diagnosis.. I need to see my Dr to get an order for a MRI. Luckily I can have that done for free where I work.
    I definitely need to do all those things! LOL As you know from me, my intentions don't always mean doing. :facepalm: I think its time for a new thread! This is #50 :D

51. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member