Tried first taste of Young Again-Big Spike in an Hour!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mom2SweetPea, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mom2SweetPea

Mom2SweetPea Member

We got our bag of Young Again Zero Carb, and I was so thrilled thinking this might help her. She had been free feeding, but I cut it down to three meals a day (before Am shot, midday, before PM shot). Tested her at +5.5 , gave her the YAZC, tested again and hour later and her number shot up 170 points! I am so scared. What does that mean? Should I not feed her the new food? I thought I was doing something to get her on track. We were eating crap food (Purina DM dry), doing the less than optimal insulin (vetsulin)... ugh. I just feel like sobbing. Is this spike a normal reaction? I was reading old threads about people starting YAZC, and I didn't see anyone with numbers spiking like this. So discouraged.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Your insulin probably wore off. ALL food causes some rise in bg. I would raise your dose to 2. You want to see some blue numbers at his lowest and we want our of those black numbers.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

One number....One test....never gives the whole picture

I'd like to really encourage you to start getting at least a "before bed" test on the PM cycle....most cats go lower at night so it's important.

Also, without testing on the PM cycle, you're missing half the data....That's kind of like trying to see what the puzzle is when you only fill in half the pieces

4. Mom2SweetPea

Mom2SweetPea Member

Yes, the black numbers are freaking me out! Raise to 2 and continue giving the Young Again Zero Carb? Is that too much change? I think I'm suffering from information overload! I've read so much and lots of it is conflicting. Sorry to sound so neurotic.

5. JanetNJ

try it. Go slow introducing young again.... If they over eat they can get the runs. My cat loves it though. I give it as a snack but mainly feed fancy feast classic.

6. Mom2SweetPea

Mom2SweetPea Member

The YA people say to switch completely. Should I gradually add it in to her existing food to wean her off? She seemed to really like it! I'm encouraged that she like the taste. Gives me hope that she'll eventually transition to wet.

7. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

I tried young again as a day time filler as mine were used to free feeding. Truffles was barely eating any but after about half way through the bag he had really runny smelly poo so I had to stop. Didn’t affect my other cats. They are on wet food now and he is fine so it was definitely YA. Definitely try it though just know if he gets an upset tummy the ya is probably causing it.

8. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

You should wait 2 hours after feeding before testing. Any food, regardless of how many carbs, will raise BG for a while.

9. Mom2SweetPea

Mom2SweetPea Member

Now her numbers are rapidly sinking post PM shot! She's at 132, and we're only 3 hours in! I'm scared! staying up to test her and watch her.

10. JanetNJ

Ok well just give her a snack to help ballgame her out. She's still in safe numbers.

I must say I do credit young again zero carb with helping my cc into remission the first time. She was in remission within a month of starting it. (Not as easy this second time around.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.