? Treats

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by srk4cats, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

Hi, sorry I'm hogging the forum, but I have so many questions. I've seen that some people give treats to their cats. I would like to know what kind of treats. My vet said I can only give Chloe the dehydrated kind, but she won't eat them. Of course, Chico Grande eats them- he eats everything except his dry food. He's been subsisting on the leftovers from my other 2 cats. I have to put him in the other room when I feed Chloe or he pushes her away and eats her food.

2. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

Have you tried cooking a plain chicken or turkey breast, cut it into bite size pieces, and then freeze them? I let them thaw out a little first before giving as a treat. My cat Smoky won't touch the freeze dried snacks but loves his " real meat" treats.

srk4cats likes this.
  3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

4. srk4cats

I was thinking of buying some chicken livers since I like to eat them, too. Is that okay to give her tiny pieces as treats (after being cooked, of course). I'll omit the barbeque sauce on hers.

5. srk4cats

That's a good idea, thanks.

6. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I give mine a bite of raw chicken liver from time to time, they love it. I also use Orijen treats, they're low-carb and all my guys like them.

srk4cats likes this.
  7. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

I've switched my kitty to an all canned diet, and am using the prescription dry food as treats. Eventually the bag will run out (although it's a 4 pound bag, so that'll take a while) and then I'll need to look for replacement treats as well. I like the idea of chicken liver!

srk4cats likes this.
  8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I give some cold cuts, chicken, or cat nip.

srk4cats likes this.
  9. Lisa and Smoky

Cut up pieces of chicken liver would work as a snack too. I have heard that too much liver can be bad for cats too.

10. Lisa and Smoky

I give him cold cuts from time to time too.
    My vet suggested getting no salt version.

srk4cats likes this.
  11. srk4cats

I'd be afraid to let them eat anything raw.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  12. srk4cats

Does catnip affect the BG levels?

13. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

No it doesn't.

14. Yong & Maury GA

From what I have read, catnip does not affect BG levels. Just energy level based on intake (sniffed or eating). Dr. Lisa Pierson purchases chicken livers from Whole Foods for her homemade cat food. The chain is supposed to be known for high quality food and they have locations in Arizona :)

15. Shelly & Jersey (GA)

Shelly & Jersey (GA) Well-Known Member

I, too, vote for the Orijen treats. They are freeze dried, but my entire crew (6 cats, 2 dogs) loves them. We actually buy the dog treats because it's more economical that way.

16. Squalliesmom

My guys love it raw, and I believe it's actually better for them raw. I know they'd love to have it more often, but they only get a very small amount every other week or so. My cats would all love it if I switched to an all-raw diet for them, but that gets expensive when you've got four of them to feed! :cat:

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  17. srk4cats

Pogo was a good hunter and when he caught mice, I let him eat them because I heard it's very nutritious. The only thing left was a tail.

18. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Teasel loves the Orijen treats too.

19. Sieden

Sieden Member

Squalliesmom likes this.
  20. Squalliesmom

srk4cats likes this.
  21. Sieden

Sieden Member

Yep for sure

22. srk4cats

I haven't bought the bonito flakes yet. Is it okay to give her regular fish food?

23. Yong & Maury GA

Not fish food as in the food you feed to fish lol. Bonito flakes are made from fish (tuna type fish) that are freeze dried.

24. srk4cats

I've looked at the ingredients and the main one is Whole Fish Meal (herring and other mixed fishes). Next are whole wheat flour and soybean meal, etc. etc. It says:
    41% protein! I know cats like it because they try to eat through the plastic bottle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.