Traveling for Work - Shoot Early & Then Late - Dosages?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Michele A & Christy, Aug 17, 2022.

1. Michele A & Christy

Michele A & Christy Member

I have to travel for work overnight on Friday. I won't be here for Christy's Friday PM shot or her Saturday AM shot.

I just tried to teach my [elderly] mother how to give Christy her shot and she botched it so badly that I won't let her attempt it again. (So this morning is a fur shot, unfortunately).

My other two options are:
    1. Have my ADHD ex come and try to give the shots, though he has never given shots in his life, or
    2. Have my ex take Christy to the vet's office with a pre-filled syringe and let a vet tech give the shot.
    Option 2 is preferable because it means Christy would actually get her insulin. But the vet's office closes at 6:00 PM on Friday and then doesn't open until 8:00 AM on Saturday. Christy normally gets shot at 7AM/7PM.

So if she has to get shot an hour early and then an hour late (14 hours from the previous shot), what do I do with the doses of each shot?

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

You could give her shot 15 minutes early for 2 cycles so that the vet shoots 30 minutes early which should not have any effect on her bg. When you return shoot when you get home and then work your way back to 7 in 15 minute increments.

3. tiffmaxee

4. tiffmaxee

5. Michele A & Christy

Yes, the vet could shoot Friday evening at 6:00 and it would only be 30 minutes off from 6:30 AM of that morning, but then the Saturday morning shot would be 2.5 hours late (6:30 PM Friday to 8:00 AM Saturday when the vet's office opens again).

6. tiffmaxee

I would not worry about a late shot unless it will be hard to get back on schedule. It might just act like a slight decrease. If it will be difficult to get back on track or hard to get her there then just skip that shot. She will recover. Think of it as a fur shot.

7. tiffmaxee

One thing though, pre measuring is not recommended due to the lubricant in the syringes.
    Not sure why you skipped today instead of at least a token dose.

8. Michele A & Christy

My mom did a fur shot on Christy this morning. I was told to not shoot again after a fur dose since we have no way of knowing how much insulin might've actually made it in.

9. tiffmaxee

That’s correct!