Transitioned to raw food diet

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Littlepiggy1313, Apr 26, 2024.

1. Littlepiggy1313

Littlepiggy1313 New Member

Hi, me again!

I switched to a raw food diet for my cat two days ago, I intended to do it gradually but he loved it so much he refused all his old food. He is so much more satisfied and not constantly asking for food, his poops have gone from 6+ a day to probably 2 which are such a better consistency and his tummy isn’t constantly gurgling. It’s been unbelievable for his ibd.

The only thing is since switching he seems to have less energy? He isn’t playing as much and just seems a lot more relaxed overall, sleeping more etc. I’m wondering why this could happen, I’ve read about the body detoxing? He was on low carb food before transitioning.

His glucose levels seem to have shot up since the time of switching aswell as he was having lower numbers and more energetic before switching. So not sure if the high numbers are contributing to the lack of energy.

I was wondering if anyone else has found this?

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Tell us a bit more about his new diet. Are you preparing the raw diet at home and are you adding all of the necessary supplements to make it nutritionally complete? Or, are. you buying a commercially prepared raw diet? If the latter, do you know the carbohydrate level? With some cats, any change in diet, even to a lower carb food, may be a cause for temporarily higher numbers. Cats like consistency and any change can throw them off..

I also suspect that with the drop into green and blue numbers, there may be a bounce involved.

3. Littlepiggy1313

It’s a commercially prepared raw food diet and I’ve checked all the ingredients and it’s all low carb.

When he had low numbers for a few days he was so energetic, jumping around and chasing laser and since starting the raw food he seems to be laying down a lot and not interested in playing, still purring and alert but just very low energy, numbers have been high so not sure if that’s what it is also. Very confused by it all.

I wasn’t sure if it was because he’s eating so much still due to the diabetes being unregulated that it’s making him sluggish as the food he was on before was giving him diarrhea and coming straight out whereas this is building up more.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

For some cats, the swing from high to low and back up to high numbers is just hard on them physically. If you know a human diabetic, ask them how they feel when that happens.

Also, there are cat food carb calculators on the web. Plug in the numbers from the analysis of the food you're using just to be sure that it's low carb.

5. Littlepiggy1313

I’ve used the calculator and it’s coming out at just over 1 carb, I suppose I’ll just see how the numbers go with the potential bouncing and change of diet influencing it. Didn't think it was worth increasing insulin whilst everything’s up in the air.

Sienne and Gabby (GA) likes this.