Trace nitrates?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by hgoodwin2007, Mar 5, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hgoodwin2007

hgoodwin2007 New Member

Since my cats diagnosis we have been testing her urine for ketones. I have been diluting a small amount of clumping liter with some water and using the strips under the guidance of my vet. Today it came back with trace nitrates (vs. the dark purple “positive nitrates”) and pH was around 6 (previously was 5)

Do you think she has a UTI or are there any other reason for trace nitrates? She completed a two week course of metronidazole and Zeniquin on 2/9. It is unknown how her diabetes control is as we are still working on getting the injections successfully and are waiting for libre placement.

We have the hydrophobic kitty liter at home and I could try to do a non liter contaminated sample, but she knows something is up once that liter comes out and she is already stressed enough

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Nitrates usually mean an infection but I think sometimes when the strips are used for cats they can give false positive results so I would check with your vet.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The nitrites pad on urine test strips is essentially worthless for cats. It usually gives you a false positive. Also, the leukocyte (white blood cell pad, if you have one) is false positive 99+% of the time.
    ALso as a check you can try adding water to new letter and then dilute and test like you do with urine balls. The composition of the litter itself may be affecting the results.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.