timing of bg test

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by hoyt, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoyt

hoyt New Member

hello

We were wondering how soon eating will affect a blood glucose. Hoyt is soooo hungrey in the morning that we would love to let him eat first and then check his blood glucose right after. He is so hungrey in the moring that it's really hard to get him to sit on our laps to test his sugar, he has a one track mind :D ....... food. We love being able to know what Hoyts sugars are but we find that Hoyt really doesn't like being tested. He is so good for his insulin shot but getting a blood glucose reading on him is another story. We would love any advice on making this easier for Hoyt :mrgreen:
    Thanks so much
    katie and hoyt

2. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

I have the same situation with an impatient hungry kitty. In my case, sometimes you just have to work with what you can do... The prefood numbers give you some idea whether the last dose has carried over 12 hrs or not. It also can tell you how much spike he gets from food if you test again at + 1 -1 1/2 hrs. I'm guessing he eats pretty quickly? If you test right after he has eaten you are getting a pretty close idea of these things.

***The MOST important thing is to test before you shoot. The preshot number tells you if you can safely shoot,( or postpone or skip.) Beyond that, you should get detailed info from folks familiar with whatever insulin type you use.

When I'm trying to do a full curve with lots of info, I do try to get the prefood number. Maybe you could do it in the bedroom, away from where you feed him.

3. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

If you test immediately after eating, it will be before the BGs are affected by food.

You can test-feed-shoot or feed-test-shoot ... just make sure it is consistently in the same order, and always make sure that test comes before shoot. :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.