Tiki Cat After Dark Carb %?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Christina & Kitty Cat, Jan 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christina & Kitty Cat

Christina & Kitty Cat Member

Hi, I got some cans of tiki cat after dark grain free food donated to me but I can't find any information on the carb %. I emailed the company and they said they don't have that information. I'm currently feeding my kitty FF classic pate only and I don't NEED to switch, I was just wondering if it would be okay to feed him these tiki cat cans. Otherwise I will just donate them.

https://www.chewy.com/tiki-cat-afte...bQ307FHz04rixMqwIpyIXujHsrqcg1s0aAgWNEALw_wcB

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

What flavor? Usually the chewys site will have that where it says answered questions
    How could a company not have that info, unbelievable

3. Christina & Kitty Cat

Its a 6 flavor variety pack so everything in this chewy link

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Mogs I remember you saying we go by dry matter basis for carbs, am I correct, I don't want to give her the wrong info
    @Critter Mom

5. Christina & Kitty Cat

I was confused about this. I forgot where I saw it but there was a link on how to ask a company for info on the food so I asked for "the percentage of calories that come from protein, fat, and carbohydrates" and they said they "unfortunately I don’t have the ME profile for our foods, however I am happy to provide what we do have available" and sent this spreadsheet. It has carb% listed but I wasn't sure if it was the number I needed.
    upload_2021-1-14_23-14-14.png

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Is it pate or sliced

7. Christina & Kitty Cat

it says "in broth"

8. Christina & Kitty Cat

sorry this screenshot is blurry. attaching spreadsheet here

Attached Files:

9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

10. Christina & Kitty Cat

thank you! If I did this correctly, it looks like these are the carb % we are looking for. (calculations here)

zero carb
    chicken & beef 0%
    chicken & duck 0%
    chicken & lamb 0%

low carb:
    chicken 0.63%
    chicken & pork 6.96%
    chicken & quail 9.45%

I'm currently feeding FF pate poultry and beef which are 2-3%. I remember reading there are rules around feeding zero carb to be aware of. Would it be a bad idea to feed any of these to him if he's used to the FF 2-3%? I use gravy lovers 15-20% only if he's below BG 50.

11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Any given can from a manufacturer can vary a couple % so anything close to what you are feeding fine should be OK. And depending how carb sensitive Kitty Cat is, you might even be able to go a little higher. All the products are low carb, and there is a range. If you are trying to feed the curve, the higher LC could be useful. Sounds like time for a food experiment. :)

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  12. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Diane,

For thread readers who want the TL;DR version, ideally we look for % kcals from carbs. If that's not available then the dry matter (DM) carb % is the next best guide to a food's suitability. For example, sometimes in product Q&As chewy.com customer services will give the % kcals from carbs if a customer specifically asks for this value, but more often they give the DM % when asked about the carb content of a food (and sometimes the 'as fed' %, so care is needed when using carb info posted there).

Mogs

Christina & Kitty Cat likes this.
  13. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thank you Mogs :bighug::cat:

Critter Mom likes this.
  14. Lizzee

Lizzee Member

Hi Christina,

My baby Shurshishka is currently on a diet of Tiki Cat After Dark and from my reading online I also understand the content to be 0%.

15. Christina & Kitty Cat

Thanks for all the help everyone! I will try out the food and see if he likes it.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.