? Help ! need dosing advice

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by NadineTheodore, Apr 28, 2024.

1. NadineTheodore

NadineTheodore Member

Hi,

Theodore was doing really well with controlled diabetes until we started his antibiotics on 3/20. Since then we were struggling with diarrhea and keeping weight on. I'm glad that we are finally off the antibiotics but it seems he is staying in the 20s and developed Neuropathy as his back legs show slight sliding and he sits on his back legs flat although he is still walking and jumping, just tired.

What can I do to help him re-gain strength? I am giving him b12 injections, pettinic, I also ordered the pet b12 but now I think it was the wrong one? https://www.cobalequin.com

I also increased his dose before 7 days (5 days) as we weren't seeing much results. The good news is he is back on Young Again without liquid poops from the antibiotics so that does help his numbers a bit

@tiffmaxee @Wendy&Neko

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

You want Methyl B-12 for the neuropathy
    I used to give Tyler
    https://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-vitamin-b-12-methylcobalamin-5000-mcg-60-capsules-5
    the Vitacost brand another member told me about
    Vitamin B-12 Methylcobalamin -- 5000 mcg - 100 Capsules

Same as Zobaline , but the Zobaline is so expensive as you know
    This is the same thing
    The only difference is the Zobaline has 200 mcgs of folic acid
    So I bought the folic acid at the supermarket and crush it up and added it to the Vitacost brand
    If you can't find the 200 mcg get the 400 mcg and cut it in half and crush it up and add it, some members didn't even add the folic acid and the neuropathy improved
    The Vitacost brand is a capsule so just open it and pour the powder on the wet food
    Has no taste, no need to crush it up, I still give it to Tyler every now and then and he has never tasted it in his food , I always add water to his food and just stir up the methyl B-12 good
    I switched to the vitacost brand because the zobaline was too expensive,
    Even though the vitacost brand is 5000 mcgs and the zobaline is 3000 mcgs
    What they don't need they will pee out because it's water soluble.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
  3. NadineTheodore

NadineTheodore Member

@Diane Tyler's Mom Do you mind me asking how long it took to see improvement?

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Nadine
    It took about 2 months for Tyler to get back to walking normal, jumping on to the couch, running around
    But every few weeks I did see a slight improvement
    Plus once Theodore's numbers get better that should also help
    @NadineTheodore

5. NadineTheodore

NadineTheodore Member

@Diane Tyler's Mom https://www.amazon.ca/Jamieson-B12-...07MFWT5PT/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 would this work? Just curious because the other one might take a while to come as I am in Canada where this I could get amazon'd by tomorrow. I am just so worried about giving the wrong one and causing more harm then good. or this

https://www.amazon.ca/Webber-Natura...+methylcobalamin+5000+msg,aps,129&sr=8-5&th=1

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I'm glad you increased today. Getting him back in better numbers will also help him. If you are going to increase sooner than the dosing method suggests, please try to get a before bed test after PMPS each and every night. So we can make sure you aren't missing an overnight dive. My kitty Neko once went months diving at night and earning reductions, then bouncing during the day. If I'd only seen the day time numbers I would have increased instead of reducing the dose.

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

8. NadineTheodore

NadineTheodore Member

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

@NadineTheodore
    Nadine before you buy it I'm going to tag Wendy and ask her to look at the ingredients , but it looks OK to me

10. NadineTheodore

NadineTheodore Member

Thank you! I was just worried as I didn’t see Methylcobalamin called out on the packaging

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Wendy&Neko
    @Suzanne & Darcy
    Hi Ladies
    Nadine was asking me about Methy lB-12
    I told her about the vitacost brand . She from Toronto
    Can you look at her post #5 at the Jamieson brand , it does list the ingredients , I told her it looks fine to me , would you mind taking a look at it. Thank you Wendy

12. Diane Tyler's Mom

It says it on the back of the bottle tap on the square on the left hand side
    You will have to crush it up and mix it in with his wet food , add some water ,mix up good
    @NadineTheodore

NadineTheodore likes this.
  13. NadineTheodore

NadineTheodore Member

Thank you @Diane Tyler's Mom. I just took his glucose and he tested at 187 for his PMPS. Am I wrong to think I should lower his dose tonight?

14. Diane Tyler's Mom

Let's see what Wendy thinks ,she might have another brand to offer

15. Diane Tyler's Mom

Nadine I have never used the pet meter only the human meter and am not experienced at giving dosing advice
    I would tag Wendy and see what she says ,did you see her post above #6
    @NadineTheodore

16. Diane Tyler's Mom

@NadineTheodore
    Change your title and put this after your ?
    ? Help ! need dosing advice
    Tap on the word Thread Tools to the right ,tap on Edit title add what I said then tap save . Don't want you to be off schedule that much.

17. NadineTheodore

NadineTheodore Member

@Wendy&Neko Hi Wendy, are you able to help regarding his dose? Just don't want to overshoot

18. Diane Tyler's Mom

Have you tested him again ?
    How late are you with his shooting time , how many hours
    @NadineTheodore

19. Wendy&Neko

187 is OK to shoot. You have shot lower in the past. I presume you can monitor tonight?

20. Wendy&Neko

You want capsules for B12, not sublingual. Maybe you could crush the tablets?

21. Wendy&Neko

NadineTheodore likes this.
  22. NadineTheodore

NadineTheodore Member

So I should have shot 5 units? I did 4 because I was worried he would dip too low at night. I tested him 20 mins ago and he was at 324… apologies I wasn’t getting the notification emails @Wendy&Neko

23. Wendy&Neko

Please update the spreadsheet. I don't see tonight's dose or whatever time 324 was. That 324 answers the question of whether you should have shot the full dose. Shooting a one time slightly lower dose doesn't help much for that one cycle, due to the nature of the depot of the larger doses you have been shooting.

24. Diane Tyler's Mom

@NadineTheodore
    Nadine about the Methyl-B12 that you wanted to order. I wouldn't order either one because they are
    sublingual . The only ones that I am sure about and feel comfortable about telling you to use is the Vitacost Brand .as I posted in post #2
    I did search on our site and a member from Canada said it took about 4 days to receive them from Vitacost

By the way please update your spreadsheet for last night