The Injections Have Begun!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Teachknows, Aug 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teachknows

Teachknows New Member

Hi again. So, as of this morning, my cat Willy received his fourth injection of insulin. He's been great about it. I've been rather stupid and clumsy, but as of this morning, I think I get it now. He does NOT feel it going in and I do not need to treat him until it's done, as a reward for being a good boy. I'm relieved to have it figured out and to see it really is a breeze. My next challenge will be when I want to be gone for a few days finding someone who is willing to come in twice a day to administer the shot.
    However, my question to you all today is this...how long before I can expect to see changes in his behavior. I think I'm seeing it a bit in his demeanor, but I'm not saying that too loudly. I need more evidence. What I really want to know is how long before I can expect him to stop peeing on the carpet? He will pee in the box much of the day, sometimes I take him and place him in it to remind him it's there and it's likely time, but he's done it on his own, but in the morning, when I wake, there's been a wet spot each morning, despite a clump in the box left while I slept. SO, I was just wondering how it went for you all as to when the changes began. I am encouraged and hopeful. This is a happier post than my last :) Thanks!

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

If you could set up you signature that would be great
    • On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature. This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
      • There is a limit of two lines which may include two links; you may separate pieces with commas, dashes, | etc. This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
      • Add any other text, such as
      • Caregiver & kitty's name (optional)
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgently it is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Since you memtioned when you might want to be gone a few days to find someone to come and give the insulin , I think it would be a good idea to start home testing as Jeanne suggested and gave you the link to see how the insulin is working and how low it's bringing him, so when you do go away for a few days you have some idea about his numbers.

Don't know if you live in the US but if you do most of us use human meters
    You can get it at Walmart The Relion Prime or the Premier
    The Prime is 9 bucks and 17.88 for 100 test strips
    You would also have to get 28 gusge lancets to prick his ears to bleed
    They are a couple of bucks for 100 you can get any brand for those.
    Get some cotton rounds to put behind the ears so you don't prick your finger, then hold the cotton on his ear for a fee seconds to stop the bleeding

Here is a video from one of our members who shows how to test.
    She uses a pet meter which has to be coded, you don't have to do that with a human meter

VIDEO: How to test your cat's blood sugar

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  5. Maddie Mouse

Maddie Mouse Member

I'm a newbie too, so take this with a pinch of salt but... two weeks in and Maddie is much more like her old self. No more hiding under the bed at the slightest noise or clinging to me when I pick her up - and I'm finally getting head-bops and licks and demands to be taken outside to chew on the grass (see her photo!). The changes were slow at first, just a quiet mew here and a fleeting nuzzle there, but it soon adds up :D

6. Teachknows

Teachknows New Member

Thank you so much for responding.

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Teachknows

Teachknows New Member

I am a bit of a distance from that, Jeanne. The vet wants him back in three weeks to see what's going on with the progress of the insulin. However, when it gets to the time where I know he's back in form, then I'll use your advice and perhaps reach out at the time if I need more answers. Thank you.

8. Teachknows

Teachknows New Member

I don't see SETTINGS on the left or anywhere.

9. jt and trouble (GA)

Ok understood and please dont feel I'm pressuring you but. Maybe think of it this way:
    My husband is a diabetic. He would NEVER inject insulin without testing himself first. Or? Would you give insulin to a child without making sure before they get an injection?
    I get where you are coming from so Please dont be offended.
    j

10. Teachknows

Teachknows New Member

I'm not offended at all. What I know is Willy was at the vet for issues and the vet knew he was diabetic. The vet then set him up for insulin. And that has only just begun. He said nothing about me doing anything at home regarding his levels, so I guess I'm confused as to why following my vet's instructions is not the way to go. I'm open for more input. I won't be able to respond for a bit as I have to run to an appointment here. Thanks again, though. I truly appreciate your input.

11. jt and trouble (GA)

OK THIS IS FOR LATER:
    Most vets we find do not even ask if clients will learn to home test. I believe its because they think their clients wont or cant. MOST of those vets surprisingly do a 180 and find its perfectly fine to home test. Heck it makes their job easier why wouldnt they want that?
    You might consider telling your vet you fully intend to be a hands ON caregiver. They cant argue with that. ;):coffee:
    have a great day and be safe out there!
    jeanne

Teachknows and Critter Mom like this.
  12. Diane Tyler's Mom

OK tap on your avatar where it says your Teachknows ,then hit profile page ,tap on that ,then go up to the very top, upper right hand side and tap on your name ,it will bring down a drop box, tap on signature, the signature will be under settings, tap on the signature then and you can start to add what I posted above, make sure you hit save , ok

13. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Hi we are just on day 6 of Mac's injections and although he is on a tiny dose we already feel like we are seeing some improvement. He seems generally brighter in himself - now some of that may be due to the temperature dropping from last week's freak high ( not used to it in the UK) but he is also not so desperate for food. It has changed from his constant realky pitiful "feed me I am starving" back to his usual "oh go on its worth a try" call when we head in the kitchen.
    Re meters the vet recommended I get one and showed me his to use it. He asked that I not bother until he saw me again (9 says) as the dose is tiny and he finds it tends to stress out both the "new" owner and thus cat unnecessarily at the start. He did say that if it were a larger dose he would say differently and to go ahead and do a test if I had any worries at any point and to ring him if needed. As I've mentioned in my initial post thank goodness for a good vet who really listens and is happy to work with us.
    Hope your boy is feeling lots better soon .

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    Reason for edit: Typo
    Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.