Thank you FDMB members

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cat Caregiver, Jan 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cat Caregiver

Cat Caregiver Member

My diabetic cat Oliver is finally regulated and all signs of diabetes are gone. His coat is gorgeous and he’s back to his normal self.

Three keys to this success were: the help from felinediabetes.com forum members, a vet who prescribed Lantus, and caregiving.

When I registered as a member on this forum, I named myself “Cat Caregiver” without knowing how important that role would be. I soon learned that I could never let the cat down. Without a fiercely dedicated advocate giving care, my cat would die. I had to find the money. I had to make the time. I had to never tire of cleaning up the vomit and diarrhea. I needed to plan ahead and buy the supplies. When the alarm went off I had no choice but to get out of bed and give the insulin even when I got only three hours of sleep.

Some time before Christmas this year, I read a post where the members of this forum united as a team to help a cat whose elderly owner was unable to give the level of care needed to treat his diabetic cat. These members were unstoppable at every obstacle until that cat got care.

I followed the story of a woman who did everything she could to save her cat but the poor fellow died. Yet her undying efforts reminded me every day that love drives such care.

The members of this forum not only inspired me to give care but also they taught me how to do it. They explained everything from how to fill a syringe and shoot the insulin to what to do when the cat won’t eat or has diarrhea. They helped even from the opposite side of the globe when everyone else was asleep on my side.

I say thanks to all the members who inspired me and taught me how to give care to my diabetic cat.

I am equally grateful to those who urged me to not use Vetsulin.

The final key to Oliver’s recovery was finding a vet to give him Lantus. I regret that I wasted two months with the first vet who prescribed Vetsulin. It’s very name describes the only one who benefited: the Vet. Oliver ended up with raging pancreatitis and I with a two-day hospital bill. But I finally listened to the members of this forum and took Oliver to a knowledgeable vet who put him on Lantus.

If you are reading this and you are giving your diabetic cat Vetsulin, I have proof that it doesn’t work. I measured my cat’s urine volume every day. On Vetsulin Oliver peed well over half a liter every day no matter how good his blood glucose numbers were.

As soon as I put my cat on Lantus, his urine volume dropped and continued to drop as I increased the insulin dose toward the needed amount. Finally when I hit the dose of 2.5 units twice a day, his urine volume normalized. At that dose he transformed back to his normal healthy self.

2. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Congratulations on regulation! That has to be such a wonderful feeling for you and Oliver! My Howie is far from that stage as an IAA kittie, but I know he’ll make it! I echo all of your sentiments in your message. Without all the folks on this site and the info, encouragement and support, the world would be without a lot of wonderful fur family members! Happy New Year!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  3. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

I am so glad to hear that Oliver is going so well and all credit to you for the loving care you've provided him.
    You are so right in what you say - without the dedicated people on here sharing their hard earned knowledge so freely with us there would be a lot more sugar kitties who would still be suffering more than they needed to. I've only been on here since August but the number of times I have seen someone stay up into the early hours to help someone get their kitty through a crisis then, when unable to stay awake any longer, making sure to pass the baton over to someone in another timezone so the help continues on all through the hours - it is truly amazing.
    Add in the fact that some of these people sadly no longer have their own sugar kitties but still stay on the board just to help others and it shows what wonders they truly are & what a wonderful support network this is. I will be forever grateful that I found it & I bet Mac is too !!

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi CC!

Delighted to hear that Oliver's doing so well. :cat: (((Oliver)))

Thank you also for taking time to share your experiences in such an encouraging and uplifting post. I am sure it will be a real inspiration to all who read it. :)

(((Cat Caregiver)))

Mogs

5. Dianamcc

Dianamcc New Member

I've only been here a few short weeks with my just diagnosed kitty but what an uplifting post. It is my hope to be able to post this news at some point and to be as wonderful a mom to my cat as Cat Caregiver is to her furbaby.

Thank you! Marshmallow and I feel very fortunate to have found this group.

Diana

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

What an awesome post! And a great update on Oliver and you. All that we do here, we do because someone else helped us out when we were new too. I love how this community pays back.

7. Jan D & Squeaky

Jan D & Squeaky Well-Known Member

Wow that is inspiring! I feel the same and finally it looks like Squeaky is heading towards remission or at least better numbers!!!!! This is one of the most awesome places on earth!!!! Taking something so very complicated and emotionally draining and turning it into a heartwarming, connecting experience! Thanks to all..... and Squeaky and I hope to do a remission post soon, too! (Patience pants)....

Critter Mom and Gill & Mac (UK) like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.