Testing help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kahluasmom, Oct 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahluasmom

Kahluasmom Well-Known Member

The first few times I was able to get blood without a problem. But lately, I am poking my girl like 3 or more times. She is jumping when I do it too and I'm afraid she's going to tear her ear. Is there a trick to getting it done easier? I'm dreading it!

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Are you by chance hitting the vein? That usually does hurt. Are you using lancet device? A lot of us freehand the lancet because the device click scares them. What size lancets? Warming the ear beforehand?

Have you read this post for tips?

Sometimes it does just take awhile, the ears will eventually form more capillaries and it gets easier

Kahluasmom likes this.
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Are you warming the ear up really well first? A sock with some dry rice in it (tied off) and heated in the microwave is something a lot of us use. You can also use a small pill bottle filled with warm water or even a washcloth run in hot water and then put into a baggie (so you don't get your cat's ear all wet). Make sure you test the temperature of any of these before using them on your cat. Just test on your wrist like you would test a baby bottle.

As the temps get colder outside, it seems like it gets harder to get blood so making sure the ear is warm can be the game changer.

Kahluasmom likes this.
  4. Kahluasmom

I'll try warming her ear differently. I've been rubbing it or blowing on it. Should I go kind of at an angle? I have hit the vein a couple times. I get plenty of blood then!

5. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I do go at probably like a 60 degree angle, mostly so I can see the tip of the lancet (Mr kitty has black fur, very hard to see). Just as close to the edge of the ear as you can go.

Kahluasmom likes this.
  6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I freehanded the lancet instead of using a lancet device and yes, I went at a slight angle (but I still pierced China's ears so many times at first that I told everybody here that I was going to buy her a pair of diamond stud earrings)

Yeah, not enough, especially now that it's getting colder. China's ears would bleed SO much easier in the summer than in the winter. Even after testing over 15,000 times I noticed a difference. Warm first, then poke and then you can "milk" the ear to bring the blood up to where you poked.

Kahluasmom likes this.
  7. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Oh also Vaseline! I smear a small bit before poking, it helps the blood bead up better vs running into the fur

Kahluasmom likes this.
  8. Kahluasmom

Well, I got some.....it wasn't pretty, but we managed. Her ears are so raggedy and she really only has 1 full sized ear. Her right one had a hematoma at some point and it's rather small and it seems sensitive. She doesn't like either ear messed with really. Stinker!

9. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Good job! Are.you giving treats, managing your own stress, trying to make it as positive as possible?

You can also do paw pad, but I'm weird about bacteria and stuff.

Kahluasmom likes this.
  10. Kahluasmom

Can she have treats? I have some for her emergency box. I try to hold her and keep things calm.....it will hopefully get easier as she settles into our house and trusts us more. We are home no. 4 as far as I know.

11. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Oh poor girl!

Yes, low carb treats. I think a lot here use PureBites (myself included) or ZiwiPeak, but any raw or cooked meat will do as well. Mr Kitty is a PureBites addict.

Kahluasmom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.