Teeth extracted now drooling excessively

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Linds2225, Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linds2225

Linds2225 Member

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with getting their cats teeth pulled and them drooling? Doobie went in and had 7 teeth pulled along with a cleaning, he was drooling before and they thought it was probably because of his teeth, it's been a week now and he is still drooling but even more now. Yesterday was his last day of pain medication. Just wanting to know if this is normal after getting so many teeth pulled or if I should be concerned? Also has anybody heard anything good or bad about Wellness all canned cat food?

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Wellness canned pates should be fine.
    Check with your vet on the drooling.

3. Linds2225

Linds2225 Member

I had talked to him on Monday and he said it could just be from the pain medication acting like a sedative. But we haven't given any today... Not sure if he's in pain or it just feels weird to have all those teeth missing, six molars and one canine.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Maybe inflammation of the salivary glands from the wound healing?

5. Linds2225

Linds2225 Member

Hmmm maybe, or he might still be swollen from the surgery also. You just never know whether your over worrying or not! It thought it might be his food for a while making him nauseous , but he still eats his Wellness and seems to like it.

6. Karen & Rudy

Karen & Rudy Member

Rudy just had 7 extractions last month and he was drooling for a little while as well. The pain meds did really weird things to him and he seemed very out of it. He also had to learn how to eat again with out all of his teeth. It was an adjustment for sure. Do you have a follow up appointment to check on the healing or are you able to check if there is swelling or redness?

7. Linds2225

Linds2225 Member

8. Linds2225

Linds2225 Member

My vet never told me to come in for a check up, and doobie isn't too happy when I try to look in his mouth right now lol. But if he is still drooling over the weekend I am going to take him in on Monday. How long was Rudy drooling for? And was it only while you were giving him he pain medication or he was still drooling after?

9. Karen & Rudy

Karen & Rudy Member

Rudy went back only because he wasn't eating after :-( He drooled for a day or two after we stopped his pain meds I think?
    I am sure Doobie is quite sore and doesn't want anyone touching that area for a while. It was tough for a good two weeks or so after the dental surgery, but he slowly got into a new normal and is doing fine. I hope that Doobie recovers nicley soon as well. It is so stressful when they aren't feeling good.

10. dirtybirdsoaps

dirtybirdsoaps Member

Hidey drooled a lot when he had his upper canines extracted and took about 2 weeks to slow down on the drooling. Now he drools when he's getting a nice massage or in a deep sleep. I'm assuming it's just because there's a gap now. It's funny and really gross at the same time because when I give him a nice massage it's like a faucets on lol. I try to keep a napkin around.

11. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

Max was doing a lot of lip smacking in the weeks following his canine and back teeth extractions. I thought it was part of his seizure disorder at first, until he started doing this headshake thing too, and the drool flew everywhere. He's now learning how to keep it in with the teeth gone. Lots of drool can be nausea too from pain meds, antibiotics, or constipation from the anesthesia.

I love the wellness cat food, wish I could afford to feed it to my 2 cats.

12. kikiaxell

kikiaxell New Member

Linds2225 what ever happened with Doobie's drooling? My BooBoo started drooling and they put him on antibiotics before the extractions and the drooling stopped. Two days before the surgery antibiotics were done then drooling resumed. Booboo had 2 top fangs and 1 molar extracted on Aug26 and once meds stopped again he started drooling again. I went back to the vet Sunday for the drooling and they put him on antibiotics for another 2 weeks and we go back next Friday for a follow up. It seems only if he is on antibiotics he does not drool. I don't know what is going on and I am at $897 out of pocket since this whole ordeal started.

13. Brutus

Brutus New Member

Also wondering what happened to Doobie? My Brutus is drooling big time after nearly a week post surgery. Apparently it's normal for a while, but I'm worried. :( He's 14.

14. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

The drooling could be due to some residual pain. You could try keeping his food in the fridge, the cold would probably feel good. Drooling and panting can also be a sign of stress, I'd try giving a little organic catnip, it might help.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.