Switching from Vetsulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kelley and Pip, Apr 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelley and Pip

Kelley and Pip Member

Morning!

I have a vet appointment at 10:30 tomorrow morning and want to discuss switching insulins from Vetsulin. I really like my vet and he supports home monitoring and didn't mind when I said wouldn't be getting the prescription food.

I have heard that other insulins can be quite costly so I am trying to get a feel for what that might be or any other cost savings. I would hate to switch to something I can't afford and then have to switch around again.

Do a lot of vets prescribed Vetsulin because it is the least costly?

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Where do you live?
    Lantus is an excellent insulin and it can be bought from a Canadian pharmacy called Marks. They ship to the US
    Here is a thread that talks about Mark’s https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/buying-insulin-from-canada.203498/

The 5 pack of pens which are actually cartridges which can be used with syringes are very economical and as long as they are kept in the fridge they will last until the expiry date.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  3. Kelley and Pip

Kelley and Pip Member

I am in the Chicago area! I was thinking I would request Lantus after poking around here but I did some Googling for pricing! Holy Moly. I'll check out Marks! :)

Dyana and Bron and Sheba (GA) like this.
  4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I would definitely get them from Marks, Box of 5 solostar pens, I have been told we can't get just the cartridges in the US
    They will probably last you a year or longer
    Just keep them in the fridge middle shelf
    The expiration dates will probably be 2022 and 2023 , you can ask them
    Just buy the U-100 syringes and draw the insulin out of the little gray rubber stopper
    It's well worth it
    Yes most vets prescribe vetsulin because it's cheaper
    Just calk Marks and they will contact your vet for a script, if you need to re order you won't need another script

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    Kelley and Pip likes this.
  5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Lantus Solostar PEN CAN (temp. gauge. ice pack, express-air mail) *single pen open box* Brand 100iu/ml one pen 3 ml $49.99 USD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Lantus Cartridges 5x3ml per box (temp. gauge. ice pack, express-air mail) Brand 100u/ml 15 ml $159.99 USD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Lantus Solostar PENS 5x3ml per box (temp. gauge. ice pack, express-air mail) Brand 100u/ml 15 ml $164.99 USD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Lantus VIAL Insulin (10ml per vial) (temp. gauge. ice pack, express-air mail) Brand 100u/ml 10 ml $110.99 USD

Kelley and Pip likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.