switched from Prozinc to Lantus yesterday

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sharon & Jake, Aug 17, 2022.

1. Sharon & Jake

Sharon & Jake Member

I switched Jake from Prozinc until Lantus yesterday Hoping his numbers get better on Lantus. He was on 3 units proozinc and his numbers were all over the place. With advice I started at 2.5 units. any thoughts?

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Looks like day 2 on Lantus? (time to update the signature). Can you get evening tests at all, even before bed. A +2 or +3 at night can be very informative.

It will take a few days for you to see what is really happening on this dose, due to the depot style nature of Lantus. Plus he may still be bouncing from the greens on his last day of Prozinc.

Can you also put SLGS in your signature, so people know the dosing method. It just helps us help you faster.

3. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Hmm I searched and could not find anywhere where you were advised to start with 2.5u? With depot insulins like Lantus and Levemir when first starting them, it can take 5-7 days before the depot builds and you see what the dose can do. With dry food in the mix, you need to follow SLGS - please have a look at the dosing methods we follow: dosing methods. If you could update your signature with the change to insulin and your SS title info and add SLGS that would be helpful please.

4. Sharon & Jake

Sharon & Jake Member

Chris advised me to start at 2.5. He doesn’t get drip food at all. He gets 9 lives, Friskies and Tiny Tiger.

5. Sharon & Jake

Sharon & Jake Member

Fixed the signature. I usually do a +2 at night. Not sure I’ll make the +3. I’m exhausted. I have to watch my health too. I’m recovering from breast cancer. Doing well bur exhausted.

6. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Gotcha, I presume that's from Facebook. Looks like your siggy has been changed now, I thought it previously read Young Again which is dry food, but perhaps I was mistaken. Incidentally, it may be worth changing your user name; we usually suggest members not use their names on the forum for anonymity and to avoid potential issues with hackers. The site is fairly secure, but you might want to consider changing to ensure privacy.

7. Wendy&Neko

Where/when did Chris make this suggestion? Like Christie I had wondered at the starting dose suggestion.

As for SLGS, I had assumed the dry food in the signature was correct. If he's getting all wet food now, you can choose either SLGS or Tight Regulation.

Getting a PM+2 would be great. Based on that number, and if it's quite a bit lower than the preshot, you'll have to either test later or leave out lots of food so he can keep himself safe overnight. We've had plenty of people with health issues that mean their sleep, we'll just see if there's a way to make sure he stays safe.

8. Sharon & Jake

Sharon & Jake Member

Thanks. Yes it did have young again. I bought a bag but was advised, for the moment, not to use it.

9. Sharon & Jake

Sharon & Jake Member

I chat with Chris in the Facebook group. I did leave him on Saturday all day and he was low so I left out dry that one day and had my daughter stop by and do the +6

10. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Here's Sharon's last post from the ProZinc forum

Sharon has been a member of the Feline Diabetes group on Facebook for quite some time. When the ProZinc looked like it might not be a great fit for Jake, many people suggested he may do better on a different type of insulin which is why she's now using Lantus.

Her vet told her to start over at 1U 1.5U again but she was told that when we switch from one insulin to another, we take into consideration the dose the cat was already on. She wasn't comfortable starting at 3U using a new insulin she doesn't yet understand, so the 2.5 was suggested.

Now that she's comfortable posting here, I'm hoping she'll get all the experienced advice and help I was given when I was new too.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
    Diane Tyler's Mom and tiffmaxee like this.
  11. Sharon & Jake

Sharon & Jake Member

Thanks. The vet actually wrote the prescription for 1.5. Bummer is they only gave me one pen not s box! The vet didn’t approve of me switching and told me I was on my own as far as what I was using. In fact he didn’t even charge me for the visit. He did tell me he had one other patient using lantus by their own choice.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
  12. Chris & China (GA)

That 1 pen should last about 50 days (at 3U BID) so as long as there were refills on it, it'll be a bit of a pain to have to go in that often, but that's also about how long a box of syringes is going to last so at least you'll have a few things on your shopping list!

13. Wendy&Neko

I have no problem with chatting on the FB group, but dosing discussions are supposed to be done here, where we can track and comment on it.

Hopefully we can get Jake on a good Lantus dose quickly, and prove to your vet it was the right thing to do.

14. Sharon & Jake

Sharon & Jake Member

Yes but I’ve heard some got s box of pen that would last a year. I’m on ssn so trying to stream h the Pennie’s and the coupon covers a month doesn’t specify the number. It would be great if he would go into remission.

15. Sharon & Jake

Sharon & Jake Member

I didn’t realize. I’m just getting used to all this! I totally understand.

16. Chris & China (GA)

Yeah I know...it didn't used to specify that it could only be enough for 30 days. Maybe you could get your vet to write a new script for "Glargine insulin, Box of 5 pens, Use as directed" and see if that would work.

If nothing else, you can send a picture of the script to Marks Marine Pharmacy in Canada. For $165 you can get a 5 pack of Basaglar shipped to you. That would be 1500 units so at 3U twice a day, it'd last for 250 days. (and another neat thing about buying from Canada...you'll never need another script again. They'll refill it as long as it's needed instead of requiring a new script every year)

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  17. Sharon & Jake

Sharon & Jake Member

Interesting. Let’s see if it works. My other dilemma is weee going out of town end of September for 10 days and im not sure who I can get to watch him. The vet said he would take him since they already have a resident diabetic cat. They don’t do boarding but not sure he’ll still do it with him on lantus. He’s also only using the litter box part of the time. So I have a laundry room full of puppy pads. Hopefully everything starts to resolve soon! Thanks for all your help.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  18. Chris & China (GA)

Yeah I sure hope the Glargine is a better fit for him. Not every insulin is the right one for every cat. Maybe if Jake starts to stabilize and do better, your vet will re-think his attitude towards prescribing Glargine if another of his patients isn't doing well on the ProZinc.

We'll just have to see how he does! One thing you'll hear a lot here is "It's a marathon, not a sprint".

Sharon & Jake likes this.