Suzy vet followup

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by babysittercats, Jul 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babysittercats

babysittercats Member

I have my first vet followup after diagnosis, diet change, and lowering the dose. What should I expect or hope for? (They are not keeping her to do a curve as her numbers are always significantly higher at the vet). Thanks fructose number should be lower if insulin is working right? Also how can I electronical I share my spreadsheet with my vet if they don't use Google? Thanks

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I always took a screenshot of my spreadsheet and emailed it to my vet. Not sure how others do it!

If you only recently made the diet change expect lower numbers! But don't be discouraged if things look same-y for a while either. Depends on the cat.
    It looks like she needs a reduction as well. Every time she drops under 50 she earns a .25 reduction, or any drop under 90 if using the SLGS method.

I would lower to 1.25u, possibly even 1u? I would ask on the Lantus forum. :)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

You need to decide whether you are following SLGS or TR. please read about the methods on the yellow stickies at the top of the Lantus forum.
    If you are following TR you earned a reduction down to 1.25 on 7/12 with the 49 and the 15/7 with the 45 and again on the 20/7 with the 49.
    If you are following SLGS you earned a reduction on 7 occasions when Suzy dropped under 90.
    I would agree that you need to reduce the dose to 1.25 units now.
    If you are testing at home there is no need for a fructosamine test....it is a waste of money. A fructosamine test just gives an average of the BGs over the past 2 weeks while you have been testing every day and showing the highs and lows which is much more comprehensive..

4. babysittercats

babysittercats Member

I was just wondering if anybody else did any followup with their vet after diagnosis. I can't follow either method exactly with all the rules they have set up and my schedule. I did lower the dose after she has a couple tests in the 40s. I don't understand why the other method would say to lower the dose if less than 90? 90 is still higher than "normal" on a human meter. Good to know about fructose test. What about any urine tests vet does beneficial? Hard to do that at home.

5. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

One protocol is more aggressive than the other. So when comparing, SLGS is more conservative like you’re “playing safe” and that’s why you reduce the dose under a higher threshold which is 90. TR being more aggressive pushes that down to 50. It’s about how comfortable you feel shooting at lower numbers. As I understand, TR has better remission rates.

as for the ss, I just download a copy to my computer and attach it on my email to the vet since the don’t need a dynamic version like we do here.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  6. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

For the diabetes, no. If you're hometesting and handling the dosing yourself there's really no point. You'll know more than your vet does. The fructosamine isn't needed past diagnosis.

Follow as closely as you're able - you do need some sort of guidelines for determining dose increase/reductions, otherwise you wouldn't know how to attend to her insulin needs. That's what the protocols are for. Since you can't test often enough you would default to SLGS, which has you doing decreases if she drops below 90. Yes, under 90 is a good place for kitties to be but if you are not testing enough to protect her during potential hypos, you can't play as risky as what TR allows. So even if you can't 100% follow a protocol, dose decreases below 90 please! For Suzy's safety. :) And she looks like she's doing really well, by the way!

For diabetes, I don't believe it's really necessary UNLESS you suspect ketones. You can test at home with ketostix instead though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.