Suddenly Back to 200+ and not dropping, HELP

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Evey, Mar 27, 2024.

1. Evey

Evey Member

My fur fur was doing pretty good in the last month and I posted a thread couples weeks ago asking adivce for reducing dosage. Here is the previous thread https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/advice-on-dosage-reduction.287427/

I was happy that she was on a good trend. However, since March 23, her BG is higher in general than previous weeks.

On March 26, I gave her 1 unit in the morning and her BG didn't drop at all and it kept going up. I bought a new insulin thinking that the old one probably expired. I gave her 1 unit of the new lantus insulin in the evening of the 26th and her BG went down to 5mmol/l (90mg/dl).

On March 27, I continued to give her 1 unit of the new lantus insulin in the morning and her BG drop to 6.7mmol (121mg/dl) (it didn't drop as much as the night before, but not bad i think). I gave her 1 unit in the evening but it didn't really drop the whole time! It went from 11.3 to 9.1mmol(203 to 164mg/dl), only drop 2.2:arghh:

Can anyone tell me why this is happening?:( The insulin can't be bad again, right? If not, what would cause this problem? Should I increase the dosage?

She did a checkup on March 23rd. She is anemic and has protenuria. I wonder if these could the reasons.

The following is her blood test result:
    RBC 6.24 M/μL (range: 6.54 - 12.20)
    HCT 27.9 % (range:30.3 - 52.3)
    HGB 9.3 g/dL (range: 9.8 - 16.2)

This is her urne test result:
    UPRO 64 mg/dL
    UCRE 59 mg/dL
    UPC 1.08
    Specific Gravity 1.014
    pH 7.0
    PRO 30 mg/dL

Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
    Reason for edit: typo
  2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

There can be any number of reasons that blood glucose numbers are not where you expect them to be or are different than what you typically see. Evey may be reacting to something in the environment that scared her. She found a bit of contraband food and gobbled it down when you weren't looking. She heard something outside that upset her. She was having an off day. The moon was in a weird phase..... The bottom line is that her numbers returned to normal.

One observation, though. You are not taking dose reductions when they are indicated. For a cat that is within a year of diagnosis and you are following the Tight Regulation Protocol, you want to reduce the dose when numbers drop below 50. Those lime green colored cells on Evey's spreadsheet indicate that you should be reducing her dose.

3. Evey

Evey Member

Good thing her numbers are back too normal now. I realized I was just overreated. Everytime I noticed a jump (up or down) or just being flat, I got nervous. I need to chill and relax.

In early and mid March, I was following the vet's dosing method and I wasn't sure if I should following TR because I didn't quite really understand TR back then. So I missed lots of opportunites to reduce her dose. Now, I'm 100% following the TR now. I really hope TR can help my kitty get to remission.