Stories on how YOU started testing your cat, especially an UNCOOPERATIVE cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bear's Mama, Feb 24, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bear's Mama

Bear's Mama Member

Hello again,
    I need some confidence boosting stories on your experience in BEGINNING to test you kitties BG.

My Bear cat is a fighter, will not sit in my lap, does not like to be picked up, immediately struggles.
    I shoot him in his bed, after minutes of brushing, scratching, rubbing, kissing, to get him relaxed to shoot him, I never give him treats in this situation..

I am thinking of doing his BG's in the same way. Since I can't pick him up on a table or anywhere else.

Any tricks would be appreciated. Thanks much, Mary

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

When I first started to test Sheba I got everything ready to go and put it on the floor beside me including a treat in a saucer (hidden beside me). I then knelt on the floor and sat back on my heels. I placed Sheba in front of me facing the same way so her tail was closest to me. That meant if she tried to back away she would back into me. I had easy access to her ears. I held her gently around the chest with one hand and then placed the food in front of her. As she put her face into the saucer, I let go of her chest and used both hands to test her.
    Im going to tag @Melinda and Kitkat to tell you her story. She struggled in the beginning and now she is doing an off the juice trial with her kitty Kitkat.

Bear's Mama likes this.
  3. Jacques and Pumpkin

Jacques and Pumpkin Member

Hi Mary - Pumpkin is very similar. One thing I have going for me is that she’s very food motivated. When there’s food, everything else is a secondary priority. So I test her while she’s eating. I smear out her food so that she can’t scarf it all down in a couple of bites.

The downside is that I don’t have the option of stalling if I get a low number. If she has a low number, a subsequent test could be picking up a spike from the food I used to test her. But, the other option is not testing at all so I’m okay with that trade off given what Pumpkin is willing to let me do.

I chronicled my journey to figuring out a testing strategy here: https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/lancing-from-back-of-ear.273840

I was feeling pretty terrible after my first week of trying, but we’re both pros now!

4. Melinda and Kitkat

Melinda and Kitkat Member

Hi Bear's mama, I too had heaps of troubles starting injections and then getting BG tests, like many others here. (Kitkat is not a lapcat either). Firstly. I will say it sounds like you have a working procedure for doing the injections? and if so, then maybe keeping a similar procedure (or something with a few modifications) for the testing may work for you. It is worth a try!!!! The biggest hurdle seems to be getting them calm about the whole thing..... and this can take time. I am sure the petting and scritches also will help YOU stay calmer about doing the test, and Bear probably picks up on it.
    I did find that Kitkat took to the injections quicker than the testing. For testing, He would howl, and fight, struggle to get away, claws out. We did need to pin him down to get those initial tests, he was such a drama queen about the whole thing. We used a similar procedure as Bron mentioned above.
    Early in the process we noticed Kitkat was starting to avoid and be fearful of his bowl, developing a food aversion from testing him while eating, he was so cautiously approaching his dish with keen eyes on me if I approached. We had to change tactics. We switched to treats and a new dedicated test spot.
    I did use treats alot, and found that associating the treat after the ear prick was positive enforcement. I got everything ready and would play a little game with him, stroke him with the meter, the lancing device, let him smell them and see they are not a threat. I would then put the bag of treats right in front of his nose, so he could sniff them, try a test, and successful or not he always got a treat. Many times we made several attempts, and we got frustrated and so did Kitkat. We would let it be for awhile and then just try it again.
    I would talk to him the whole time I was trying to test. I'd say his name and praise him.
    I would pause, set down the tester and just go back to giving him some luvins for a minute when I picked up that he was not gonna have anything to do with it. Try again a few minutes later.
    A test 15 minutes late was better than no test at all.
    2 or 3 unsuccessful attempts I would leave him be for a good hour before trying again. (I knew I had no choice but to go by his pace, it paid off in the end)
    I always tested him in the same spot, I injected him in the same spot, a spot he was comfortable in.
    He needed time to learn that it was not a painful thing, and that it was helping him.
    He now will come to me when I call out "Time for a Check, my cat!" and lay down and purr in this spot. Just in time to start his OTJ trial!:cat:;)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
  5. Amy & Herman

Amy & Herman Well-Known Member

Herman goes bananas with any kind of restraint, testing was a disaster. Herman is a deep sleeper so I worked on my technique and improved my confidence by testing while Herman was sleeping. I heard for some cats it can create trust issues. But he didn’t mind it at all, barely noticed. It allowed me to get good at it in low pressure situstions. Eventually I could test him pretty much anywhere anytime as long as I didn’t try to restrain him. Occasionally when he was agitated to begin with there would be no chance of getting ]near him let alone doing a BG, in those cases I erred on side of caution and fed him higher carb food.

6. Bear's Mama

Bear's Mama Member

Bron, I am so sorry you lost your Sheba :arghh: I love your story and am used to doing the same thing with cats in front of me for meds etc., however with Bear this position does not work, he will fight and run etc. But I totally love how you did it. Have you gotten more kitties since then? Thank yu so much! Mary,

7. Bear's Mama

Bear's Mama Member

WOW! Sleeping? That's amazing! I plan on testing in his bed, where he goes for shooting. Hoping my relaxation technique will work fort his also...but open to any suggestions on here. Thx for sharing! Mary BTW Herman in gorgeous! Definitely will keep your tech in mind! :woot:

8. Bear's Mama

Bear's Mama Member

Melinda,
    This is very helpful thank you! It sounds like you have a 2nd pair of hands helping you? I am alone and a Sr. I do plan on having the treat container nearby so he can really smell them. I have not found any low carb treats so he gets what the rest of the fam get and that is Temptations, (i know, hi carb) everyone ( I have 5 kitties + Bear) gets 4-5 in the AM even before breakfast, Bear gets 2-3, he used to get 10 before diagnosed. I bought the hills Metabolic low carb and nobody here would touch them, got a refund at the vet. I am open to suggestions on treats.
    Thank you for the approval of doing the same technique with BG's as his injections. I love the rubbing of the meter and the AccuCheck device, I will start that imm.. I am starting to rub his ears every chance I get the last 2 days and I took the lancet and started clicking it by his ear, so Bear would get used to the sound, however, after 3 times of clicking he left his bed. LOL Love your suggestions Melinda,, thx so much. :kiss:
    What is OTJ trial?

9. Mikanmama

Mikanmama Well-Known Member

Hi Bear's mama, I can totally relate to how you feel. My kitty Mikan was diagnosed in the mid Jan this year and I started to test her then. Initially, it was absolutely a series of disasters! I couldn't get blood, Mikan wiggled around, she cried out like there would be no tomorrow! I tested just pre-insulin for several weeks. I just made sure that she got left alone with treats in the area she was tested every time, immediately after the ear prick. Then, maybe a week ago, I noticed she wasn't wiggling and protesting as much. Mind you, it's not to say that she happily volunteers. But it is certainly getting easier. I am now testing several times a day! I have read so many posts here - many veterans here say that just be patient and it gets easier. I was skeptical at first, but I am beginning to think that they may be right. It does get easier. I am also learning that managing diabetes is a marathon, not a sprint. I wish it was something that can be solved quickly, but looks like we are all in this long journey together for a while. But it'll work out as long as we are patient, I think. Cats are habitual animals. They get used to things! Best wishes to you and your darling Bear.

Bear's Mama likes this.
  10. Bear's Mama

Bear's Mama Member

Mika thx s much for your encouraging words!!! :cat: what treats do you use?

11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks you. Yes I now have another kitty called Harry who I love very much. I also have my daughters cat Clover who is with me every day and goes home at night. They are great mates.

12. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

As for treats when you test or give insulin you can give them so Bear associates getting a treat before and after you test or when you give insulin

You can give any freeze dried treats they are all low carb
    Tap on this blue link and read post #64 the post numbers are to the right of each post and you can read about the freeze dried treats I listed

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-to-this-i-need-advice.269452/#post-3007388

You can even give plain boiled chicken pieces

Bear's Mama likes this.
  13. Mikanmama

Hi Bear's Mama,

My Mikan is a finicky eater, but she likes Young Again TruCarnivore treats, Tuna flakes, and Churu. I have a small amount of these things on a plate where I test her ready and leave her with the plate alone afterwards. Hope this is helpful....

Bear's Mama likes this.
  14. Melinda and Kitkat

I think many cats react to the click sound near their ears. One other thing I did was (Remove the lancet!) was to play with him a bit, petting and talking and give him a treat. I would touch him with lancing device and click it on him, his back, his side, all over his body and then near his face, his paw, even his butt! ;) letting him smell it. Several clicks later, the last one on or very near his ear and he'd get another treat. He got used to sound quickly. Clicky thing game means treats!!!!:cat: (cat brain! hahaha)

And OTJ Trial is "Off the Juice", (the best 3 letters on this site!) the trial is 2 weeks with no insulin, just checking BG's. If numbers remain low, steady and in the healthy range for these 14 days, then kitty is officially considered in Remission. :D:D:D:D:D

Bear's Mama likes this.
  15. Bear's Mama

Bear's Mama Member

My first diabetic kitty Watson, that I was on here back in 2003 went into remission it was sooooo wonderful!!! Hope Kitkat is a successful OTJ!! Gonna try the clicky game today. ordering freeze dried treats today also!!

Melinda and Kitkat likes this.
  16. Bear's Mama

Bear's Mama Member

I'm gonna order Purebites, seems like a good deal $$$ much less than the Halo I almost ordered.. I have to stick to chicken, of course he hates fish anything..WHAT???:banghead: all my others eat fish, Bear's first mama died and didn't like the fish smell unfortunately, I heard....thx for alll the links. :cat:

17. Bear's Mama

Bear's Mama Member

Mikan is beautiful!!! thx for your tips, no fish for Bear..where do you get your treats? I just ordered Purebites 2.3 oz for 9.49 at Amazon.

18. Bear's Mama

Bear's Mama Member

Diane,
    I am online looking up FF grilled chicken and it says 11% protein, 2% fat..did you send me something on it? can your resend? I cannot find in all these posts. something about roasted, flaked, chunky 4% carbs.. Bear loves his gravy tho!!! I might just have to deal with it in his shots once I get #'s It's the only wet food he has eaten with Gusto!!! NO PATE, NO FISH LEAVES ME WITH FEW OPTIONS... (NOT SHOUTING JUST EMPHASIS) I come up with 97% without carbs being mentioned on the grilled chicken which i know leaves only 3% carbs Thx!!!:arghh:

19. Mikanmama

Hi Bear's Mama,

Thanks (Mikan appreciates your compliment :cat:)

You can order Young Again treats/foods from https://www.youngagainpetfood.com/ . Very reliable and great customer services. I order other things from Amazon.

Bear's Mama likes this.
  20. Bear's Mama

Bear's Mama Member

Hi Diane, I found dr. Lisa's food chart from 2017, 6 yrs old... Yeah Bear won't eat that dried chunky stuff, I looked up the picture. it might as well be Pate. In fact pate (which I have for my other babies) looks more wet than this stuff, so never mind but thanks for trying!

21. Bear's Mama

Bear's Mama Member

Thx, but your chicken treats have 8% carbs each. I do see these are much less $$ however.
    I ordered Purebites 1 ingredient chicken, raw, freeze-dried with 0 carbs from Amazon per Diane, Tylers mom. for about $9.49 for 2.3 oz. I hope bear will like them, they have a video of some kittens devouring them. LOL. He is very picky and eats only gravy food, so hopefully I am making up with these ) carb treats for testing. :cat:

22. Bear's Mama

Bear's Mama Member

BTW Diane I did get Purebites and it is like crack cocaine around here, everybody wants some including my dog!!! I went to give Bear his AM temptations like the other 5 cats and he looked at me and said " I want Purebites not this junk food" LOL:D

Melinda and Kitkat likes this.
  23. Melinda and Kitkat

Same happened to me!!! lol, Temptations Be Gone!!!! I would sprinkle the crumbles in the bottom of the bag over a food that he would eat, but wasn't really fussed about, and he would scarf it up. Now... he expects "sprinkles" on all his dinners! I've created a monster!!!! ;)

Susan Jane and Bear's Mama like this.
  24. Bear's Mama

Bear's Mama Member

Yeah bear was sniffing around his bowl this afternoon where there were some flakes of Purebites on the coffee table..looking for a fix:woot:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.