Still unregulated. And terrified

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by MarleyMoo, Nov 4, 2020.

1. MarleyMoo

MarleyMoo Member

Backstory:
    My MarleyMoo was diagnosed Diabetes Mellitus back in May and we've been on the long road to regulation. He was immediately put on Royal Canin Diabetes (Glycobalance) and 1 unit every 12 hours. He eventually moved up to 1.5, 1.75, and he's now on 2 units. He did end up 'crashing' and spent a week at the vet, got 'flushed,' and came home. I tried multiple times to do the FreeStyle Libre which he promptly ripped off his own skin, so I now have the AlphaTrak 2 for home-monitoring. His routine is very consistent and I try to reduce his stress everywhere possible. I just want the best for him.

Diet:
    Royal Canin Glycobalance Dry & Wet (half-half mixed). He's very picky, so I'm slowly switching him to purely wet, but again, it's slow.
    I'm also planning on switching him to a different brand because I know Royal Canin isn't the greatest.
    I've mixed fancy feast in with his food in the past, but it seemed to really make his BG spike, so I was scared and switched him back.

Problem:
    I did a curve 2 days ago (Monday) and his curve started at 583 in the morning, finally got down to 380 2 hours after his injection, and topped at 737 several hours later (2 hours before his evening food). I've been reading that it's possible to overshoot the 'correct' dose, but I can't for the life of me find the reason why despite using my google skills.
    Unfortunately, due to COVID I can't even reach my vet because they're close (positive cases). He's been eating voraciously and can't stop. I know he's feeling the effects.

Question:
    Has anyone here had an issue with the dose being too high? How did you acknowledge/target that it was too high rather than too low? I'm afraid to adjust his dosage higher OR lower because if it's too high, I don't want to make it worse, but if it's too low, I don't want his BG to get even higher.

Curve:
    upload_2020-11-4_18-21-29.png

2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello! I'm replying over on your other thread in Feline Health. I see in your signature that you have questions about the dosing methods, hopefully a Prozinc person can help with that here :).

3. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

Hi! I am no expert, but I keep being told that values above 600 is more usually a bouncing, which comes from a low value at some point. Because I can only see the curve from this day, I cannot venture any guess whether is bouncing or not. Unfortunately need a few more days to know. Bouncing can last a few days, so if in the day before he went quite low, or low very fast, that could explain the curve you are seeing.

With numbers this high you could measure him less often, if it makes it easier for you. Usually people do before shot time (to insure it is safe to give insulin), 2, 4 and 6 hours later to learn where is the nadir (lowest BG value) and how fast BG values go down, once starts going back up, most cats are well behaved and only need to be messured again before the next shot. Of course if you are approaching very low vaues, you may want to do more tests.

Sorry I am not being very helpful, but I think it will be hard for anyone to give you dosing help without more days of data. But hopefully someone more experienced will come along.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

The glyco balance is 14% carb.... It's switch to the fancy feast. You really want foods under 10 carb (under 7 is even better).

If it were my cat I'd do the food switch and raise to 2.25. See what happens for a few days.