Stalling for AMPS

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Logan & Sandy, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink Am surprized Logans BG was 87 this AM.. stalled and tested again 15mins later and he was 96. tested again15mins later he was 114. Fed one teaspoon of food. He is hungry. hes' been at 1 unit for a bit now.. today for amps i think i should give him a SKINNY 1 Unit.. thoughts?? Decided to give him .75.. back down to that amt. again. PS hope you are doing well.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    Shelley & Jess and Deb & Wink like this.
  2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Yes, I think that 87 earned Logan a dose reduction.

You did a good job keeping Logan's BG levels up today, when he dropped into the greens.

Insulin doses will often bounce up, and down and up and down, and up and down for quite some time. You just have to learn to go with the flow.

Shelley & Jess likes this.
  3. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink thanks... and as i half expected... altho i didn't know for sure he's high for pmps 368 at 7pm +11... Have a nice Easter tomarrow! is there still snow there?

Deb & Wink and Shelley & Jess like this.
  4. Deb & Wink

A pre-shot during the next cycle, after a low like Logan had, is pretty much expected.
    Is Logan eating ok?

p.s. Snow is gone, crocus, chionodoxa, and daffodils have started to bloom the last few weeks.

5. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink Logan is eating fine... his appetite is huge, he is fat. I really don't want him to gain any more weight.. when he was first diagnosed back in Nov. we were feeding him 3 cans twice a day!.. Now I've been feeding him one can maybe a tad under twice a day.. but he would eat more IF i offered it to him... before he was diagnosed and before he lost a TON of weight he was incredibly FAT and he always hid in the shadows, where if i could catch him once a month I was lucky...now he is used to being handled-a lot (10 years later) and he doesn't freak out as much.. (But he we gets outside, into the fenced yard... touching him or catching him won't happen... and to get him inside i have to lure him in with the door open).
    this AM logan was 415 for amps and Bouncing...75f at 1138AM+4 bg115. at1235pm+5 bg118. at(135pm)bg170+6. at(250pm)bg211+7. at 332pm +8 bg189. haven't fed any wet food except for these freezedried chicken bites sporatically.

PS.. flowers are in bloom here LOTS... weather is great.. altho CA is moving into another drought !!! argh...

6. Deb & Wink

Logan may have been bouncing this morning, 4/4/21, but it looks like he recovered from that red at pre-shot and went down to the nice low blue BG range by the nadir. Early nadir today too, around the +4 it looks like.

I only asked about the eating, because sometimes when a cat is not eating well, they can have really low BG numbers. But that does not appear to be the case with Logan, since he has a good appetite.

p.s. We are headed into another drought here too in MA. Precipitation is several inches low for the year so far, about 6 inches less than normal.

7. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink ,, yes Logan's appetite is HUGE... when he was first diagnosed back in Nov,, even tho he ate 3 cans per meal,,, it was SLOW eating,, now one can is eaten within MOMENTS<,,, he has a healthy pouch hanging down,,, and would easily want it to be twice as big if i allowed it,,, but i just don't think it is good for him,, as of now he's at(539pm)+10 bg316. Only one time Logan's appetite was down,, and that was cuzz he got into another cats DRY food, and it affected him the next day,,, outside of that,,, he screams for more food at every meal,,,

yeah going into another drought totally SUCKS,, my other half loves to garden and has planted (and me too) lots of flowers,, bulbs,, and ofcourse we planted 16 fruit trees,, so drought and fires (as much as I hate to say it) i think will be in the very near few months,,,, arghh,,

8. Deb & Wink

Don't let Logan get too heavy, overweight, too far from his ideal weight. The insulin does not work as well if your cat is overweight. Just like with humans, there can be some insulin resistance by those fat cells.

9. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink Thanks Deb.,.. Logan won't wanna hear that.. most likely I will have to lower his food a bit more.. like 3/4 of a sm. can twice a day... He really doesn't need to gain any more weight He is on the heavy side now... its a tough one, but an important one,,, so insulin resistance by fat cells means the insulin isn't absorbed as well?? thxxxx

Deb & Wink likes this.
  10. Deb & Wink

Yes, those fat cells means the insulin is not used as well.

11. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

Shelley & Jess and Deb & Wink like this.
  12. Deb & Wink

Cats as they get older, can have a hanging belly pouch. My old vet used to call them "man boobs" on my male cats. Or if a cat has been overweight and then lost weight, they can have a sagging belly like that.

Here is a cat body condition chart. This one shows the 9 levels, and has a bit of descriptions to go along with it. There are many others out there.
    https://www.fircrestveterinaryhospital.com/blog/216367-body-condition-score-cats

p.s. Nice picture of Logan and his buddy.

13. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink thx for that scale regarding a cats weight.. I'd say Logan is a Number 7 on that.. but he was VERY heavy before he lost weight due to diabetes.... I have been cutting down on his food.. 1st 3 cans twice a day.. then 2.5.. then 2.. and now one twice a day..maybe i may go a little under the one can.. I already haven't been trying to do that,.. its a gray area..

Deb & Wink likes this.
  14. Deb & Wink

A single can, 3 ounces a day of the Fancy Feast (FF) isn't likely enough food for him.
    I think you may have been saying you feed him 1 3 oz can in the AM, and a second 3 oz can in the PM. Is that correct?

That would be 6 ounces total.

If you are feeding the 5.5 ounce cans, than 1 can a day may be enough.

If Logan has access to any other pets food in the house, that could also be causing him to gain weight.

15. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink Hi Deb, basically Logan gets to small cans twice a day.fancy feast size can and sometimes i split a large can of pate twice a day.. no extra food most of the time... thx

Deb & Wink likes this.
  16. Deb & Wink

Well, 2 of those small cans of Fancy Feast (FF) are 6 ounces. I seem to remember that I had to cut Wink back a tiny bit on his food intake. Maybe 1 tablespoon less a day, but it's been a long time.

Try that slight food reduction with Logan when you get a chance.

Logan & Sandy likes this.