Spreadsheet Review Please

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sugarkitty15, May 11, 2020.

1. Sugarkitty15

Sugarkitty15 Member

Hi,

I did a curve this weekend. I kind of messed it up on Sunday by not feeding low carb treats because I ran out. (Got more today though!) I want to know if I'm good to continue with the 1U? His numbers seem to jump around quite a bit and I'm not sure why? We are down to 1.5 TBSP of dry food a day now. Talk about a win!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Hi Betsy! I am thinking he needs a little more juice unless you're planning on stopping the dry soon. Please let @Deb & Wink confirm, she's got a little more confidence than me with dose adjustments.

Deb & Wink and Sugarkitty15 like this.
  3. Sugarkitty15

Sugarkitty15 Member

Thanks! We just went down to this new dry amount yesterday, so will probably be on that for another week or so. I'll wait to see what @Deb & Wink say! :)

Deb & Wink and Panic like this.
  4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Betsy, you don't have to be quite that slow in doing a food transition. At least, not as long as Squeaks is willing to eat the wet food.

That BG of 62 on 5/9/20 AM cycle actually indicated a dose reduction was needed.
    So you should have reduced the dose from 1U to 0.75U.
    Per the Prozinc SLGS protocol.
    Please see the Sticky at the top of this Prozinc ISG forum and find that document I'm talking about.
    I could link it here, but we want to have people able to find documents on their own. ;) Since we can't be on 24/7.

Would you do that dose reduction now please?
    My "crystal ball" says that Squeaks is going to have a lower preshot, in the blue < 200 range tonight 5/11/20.
    Squeaks is bouncing from those lower blues right now, which is why the BG levels are in the 200's (yellow range). But I'm thinking he is going to clear that bounce with either tonight's cycle or tomorrows cycle.

If you run out of freeze dried low carb treats for Squeaks, you can use any kind of pure meat. Tiny bits of cooked chicken or beef or pork or fish, or even bits of cheese or egg if Squeaks likes those. Treats don't have to be freeze dried treats.

Whatever change you did on Sunday, certainly helped Squeaks get lower BG levels at nadir.

Sugarkitty15 and Panic like this.
  5. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Thank you for catching that Deb, I was focused on those yellows. Time for a refresher on in-and-out protocol!

Sugarkitty15 and Deb & Wink like this.
  6. Sugarkitty15

Sugarkitty15 Member

Oh gosh, ok! I'm still getting the hang of all this! I'll be sure to check out the Sticky and re-familiarize myself with that. Started him on .75U with his PM shot. Hopefully he clears that bounce tomorrow! Thank you for the insight and I'll try to figure out what change I did that one day with lower levels, lol!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  7. Deb & Wink

Well, one thing you did was drop the dry food amount from 3T to 1.5T. That would have made a difference.
    Now, Squeaks is bouncing, since those low greens a couple of days ago.
    Nothing to do about a bounce, except be patient and wait for it to clear.

8. Sugarkitty15

Sugarkitty15 Member

Oh ok, that makes sense! Will do, patience is not my strong suit but I'm trying! ;)

Deb & Wink likes this.
  9. Sugarkitty15

Sugarkitty15 Member

So, I just want to confirm as it looks like he's cleared his bounce. I should stay on the .75U for a week and then do a curve to see if it needs to be adjusted again? (Unless his NADIR is below 90, then reduce .25 immediately) Am I understanding this correctly @Deb & Wink?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  10. Deb & Wink

Yes, you have that correct.
    Keep the 0.75U dose for a week.
    Do a curve.
    Drop the dose IMMEDIATELY by 0.25U if the BG drops below 90. Not just the nadir, but even the pre-shot test below 90 is a signal to reduce the dose ASAP.

If Squeaks hasn't cleared the bounce, he's getting awfully close with that pre-shot of 180. Hard to judge sometimes, if a cat has cleared the bounce.

Be sure to get another BG test in this evening, 5/12/20 PM cycle.

Sugarkitty15 likes this.
  11. Deb & Wink

How much you want to bet that Squeaks bounced last night, 5/12/20 after dropping to that low of 163?

12. Sugarkitty15

Sugarkitty15 Member

@Deb & Wink I'm pretty sure he did! Is it normal for a bounce to last a few cycles? He's holding steady in the 200's now. I did completely take away dry food as of this morning--so I was surprised to see him so high at +6.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  13. Deb & Wink

Yes, bounces can last anywhere from 3-6 cycles in most cats. Some cats go from one bounce, down to 1 low number in the blues (100-199 mg/dL) or greens (<99 mg/dL), and bounce straight back up.

So sometimes it looks like almost continuous bouncing. Until his body gets used to "lower than usual" BG levels, that bouncing will continue for Squeaks.

Definitely a bounce this morning, 5/14/20.

No more dry for Squeaks!!!! Yeah! Great accomplishment to get a cat entirely off the high carb dry food. Time to celebrate!

Do please try to get at LEAST 1 more test in the PM cycle, that "before you head to bed" test. It's really important to have data in both the AM and PM insulin dosing cycles. Many cats drop lower at night, and bounce in the AM. Squeaks may have dropped even lower than that 179 at PMPS last night, 5/13/20. You want to see that, so you know he doesn't dip TOO low.

Cats nocturnal behavior means more active, means using up more energy, means using more glucose in the bloodstream.

Sugarkitty15 likes this.
  14. Sugarkitty15

Sugarkitty15 Member

Ok that makes sense! I was struggling to understand why he still has so many readings in the yellows. I'll be doing a curve this weekend as well--maybe that will provide some more insight. Thanks @Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink likes this.