Spreadsheet Review Needed (Please!)

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sugarkitty15, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Sugarkitty15

Sugarkitty15 Member

Hello,

I was hoping someone could take a look at Squeaks spreadsheet. We're on low carb canned food and down to 3/8 c dry food. (still working on dropping that off completely) His numbers are mostly in yellow with a few blue's and 1 purple. Still holding on the 1.5 U 2x a day. Do we continue this amount? Does it need to be adjusted at all? Still trying to get the hang of interpreting this spreadsheet. Thanks in advance for your help!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Kind of flat today, with those yellow numbers (200-299) and that 184 at PMPS could have been him clearing a bounce.
    Did you stall, and then retest in 20 minutes, to see if the BG was rising? Try that next time.

Could you cut back on the dry food a bit more? Would Squeaks eat more of the wet food, if you fed him that? Less dry food should help his BG numbers drop lower. On 4/19/20, you said you were transitioning Squeaks from dry to wet. But 3/8 cup dry you are feeding him now, is more dry food than the 1/4 cup (2/8 c) he was eating back then.

Try measuring out the food, then taking away one tablespoon. See how that works. You'll need to increase the amount of wet food, to compensate.

Still really hard to see if Squeaks is dropping lower at night, in the PM cycle. At least 1 or 2 more tests after the pre-shot test would be really, really useful.

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you Betsy. Busy day.

3. Sugarkitty15

Sugarkitty15 Member

Thanks for looking at this Deb. That one example of him eating that prior to testing--at that time he was at 1/2c a day. I updated the spreadsheet to better reflect this. I then went down to 3/8c and I'll take off another 1/8 so he'll be down to 1/4 c today. I will do my best to get some more tests in after the PM shot. Quick question for you though--based off how his numbers look now--if he's in the 180's at PMPS, am I still ok to give the full 1.5U? I hesitated last night and only gave him 1U but then he was in the low 300 at AMPS.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  4. Sugarkitty15

Sugarkitty15 Member

Actually, I have apparently been calculating his calories wrong. No wonder he's been so hungry! :( (I thought the auto feeder setting was 1/8 c each "meal" but it's actually 1.5 tbsp per "meal". My sheet is redone to reflect this. In reality, as of today, we're down to 3 tbsp dry food a day, the rest wet.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  5. Deb & Wink

Squeaks probably "bounced" overnight, to give you that pink 309 AMPS today.

" Bouncing - Bouncing is simply a natural reaction to what the cat's system perceives as a BG value that is "too low". "Too low" is relative. If a cat is used to BGs in the 200's, 300's, or higher for a long time, then even a BG that drops to 150 can trigger a "bounce". Bouncing can also be triggered if the blood glucose drops too low and/or too fast.The pancreas, then the liver, release glucagon, glycogen and counter-regulatory hormones. The end result is a dumping of "sugar" into the bloodstream to save the cat from going hypoglycemic from a perceived low. The action is often referred to as "liver panic" or "panicky liver". *Usually*, a bounce will clear kitty's system within 3 days (6 cycles)."

With the switch from dry to all wet food in progress, his numbers may be a bit erratic and drop lower than you are used to seeing. So if you want to reduce the dose a bit, that would be ok.

Do you think you could measure 1.25U in your U40 syringes?

Back on 4/21 AMPS, you shot a 196 BG level. The 184 BG last night, was not much lower than that, only about 6% lower. Well within the 15-20% meter variance that can occur with glucometers. You probably would have been ok to shoot the full 1.5U dose, but no worries on giving Squeaks a smaller dose last night.

Just a few of my thoughts to share with you.

6. Sugarkitty15

Sugarkitty15 Member

Thank you for all of that information—that explains so much! I think I could do 1.25 on that syringe if he’s testing lower during this transition!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  7. Deb & Wink

Glad that helped you Betsy.

Would you mix up the testing a bit? So don't always test at +6, but try for a +5 test, and/or a +7 test for a different cycle. To help fill in the blank spots on the SS. After all, Squeaks nadir may not be at that +6 time.

I'm really horrible at short answers. Because I want people to understand more, so they can make some choices on their own, if they don't get a response in time, or no one is checking the specific forum they are posting in.

p.s. Whoa! Nice blue 125 BG at mid-cycle today. Now, what will Squeaks do for the PMPS pre-shot test time do you think?

p.s.s. Yes, I always look at the SS, when I'm commenting on a post. To see what is going on.

8. Sugarkitty15

Sugarkitty15 Member

Sure, I can mix up the testing a bit! I’ll start that tomorrow! No worries here—I like the longer answers so I know what’s going on, lol. He tested 267 at PMPS and I’ll be doing a +3 before bed. He didn’t eat all of his dinner so I want to make sure he won’t get too low. My guess is he may not like this flavor, but I’m keeping an eye on it. He was so ravenous before,, this is just a change of pace!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  9. Deb & Wink

Note that flavor on the SS in the Remarks column. So the next time he doesn't finish his dinner, you can go back and check if he refused that particular flavor before.

Sugarkitty15 likes this.